Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon Dialup

Orcon Dialup

Ray Dyer

Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??

1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a reconnection
will correct problem.

2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.

2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.

These problems from what I can recollect started with the advent of
broadband services and have over time slowly got worse, hence this mail.

Yes my phone line is ok, no changes over the last 3 years.
Yes my computer settings are correct, never been changed.
Yes I know about the ZoneAlarm problem.

Yes I am reasonably clued up on these matters but always ready to learn
new tricks

Ray

CollectorNZ

Ray Dyer wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??
>
> 1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a reconnection
> will correct problem.
>
> 2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
> reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.
>
> 2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.
>
> These problems from what I can recollect started with the advent of
> broadband services and have over time slowly got worse, hence this mail.
>
> Yes my phone line is ok, no changes over the last 3 years.
> Yes my computer settings are correct, never been changed.
> Yes I know about the ZoneAlarm problem.
>
> Yes I am reasonably clued up on these matters but always ready to
> learn new tricks
>
> Ray

visit your account page and look at dialup usage, see what reason is
given in the last coloum for the disconnect, I would be very interested
to know if it is Lost Carrier!

Graymond

CollectorNZ wrote:
> Ray Dyer wrote:
>
>> Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??
>>
>> 1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a reconnection
>> will correct problem.
>>
>> 2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
>> reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.
>>
>> 2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.
>>
>> These problems from what I can recollect started with the advent of
>> broadband services and have over time slowly got worse, hence this mail.
>>
>> Yes my phone line is ok, no changes over the last 3 years.
>> Yes my computer settings are correct, never been changed.
>> Yes I know about the ZoneAlarm problem.
>>
>> Yes I am reasonably clued up on these matters but always ready to
>> learn new tricks
>>
>> Ray

> visit your account page and look at dialup usage, see what reason is
> given in the last coloum for the disconnect, I would be very interested
> to know if it is Lost Carrier!

a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
Ray

CollectorNZ

Graymond wrote:

> CollectorNZ wrote:
>
>> Ray Dyer wrote:
>>
>>> Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??
>>>
>>> 1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a
>>> reconnection will correct problem.
>>>
>>> 2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
>>> reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.
>>>
>>> 2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.
>>> Snipped

> a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
> disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
> have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
> Ray

Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
upgraded to 98SE?
You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no reload
at any stage recently)?

The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops talking
correctly (over simplification).

I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.

Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line first
to prove the case then reload.

colinco

In article <404693a5$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
> disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
> have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
> Ray

What modems do Orcon use, their own or Ipnet? I have been having similar
probs with xtra - still up but nothing happening.

Graymond

CollectorNZ wrote:
> Graymond wrote:
>
>> CollectorNZ wrote:

>> a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
>> disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
>> have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
>> Ray

> Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
> upgraded to 98SE?
> You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no reload
> at any stage recently)?
>
> The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops talking
> correctly (over simplification).
>
> I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
> flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.
>
> Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line first
> to prove the case then reload.

using WinXP

CollectorNZ

Graymond wrote:

> CollectorNZ wrote:
>
>> Graymond wrote:

>>> a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the
>>> server disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting
>>> out. I have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the
>>> problem.
>>> Ray

>> Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
>> upgraded to 98SE?
>> You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no
>> reload at any stage recently)?
>>
>> The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops
>> talking correctly (over simplification).
>>
>> I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
>> flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.
>>
>> Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line
>> first to prove the case then reload.
>>

> using WinXP

Dam that knocks that on the head. Still suspect your stack though, use
task manager to see what your CPU usage is when it is not responding on
the connection, it also wouldnt hurt to add the network performance tab
and check if there is any traffic (eg QOS) being transfered when it is
not responding to you.

Gordon

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:19:49 +1300, Graymond wrote:

> using WinXP

This should have been in the first post. More information is good, still
more is better.

Graymond

CollectorNZ wrote:
> Graymond wrote:
>
>> CollectorNZ wrote:

>>> Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
>>> upgraded to 98SE?
>>> You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no
>>> reload at any stage recently)?
>>>
>>> The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops
>>> talking correctly (over simplification).
>>>
>>> I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
>>> flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.
>>>
>>> Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line
>>> first to prove the case then reload.
>>>

>> using WinXP

> Dam that knocks that on the head. Still suspect your stack though, use
> task manager to see what your CPU usage is when it is not responding on
> the connection, it also wouldnt hurt to add the network performance tab
> and check if there is any traffic (eg QOS) being transfered when it is
> not responding to you.

will check when/if it happens again

Graymond

Gordon wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:19:49 +1300, Graymond wrote:
>

>>using WinXP

> This should have been in the first post. More information is good, still
> more is better.

maybe it should have, but having put up with and monitoring this problem
I believe it is not at my end, however my system is ---
Gigabyte GA-7ZM M/B
512 meg RAM
40 Gig. C drive
20 Gig. D drive
dynalink V1456VQE ext.modem
WinXP Home
Incredimail or Thunderbird mail
Firebird Browser
and I,m 63 years young, computing experience started with System 80
upgraded to 48k of RAM and sound tapped from M/B etc etc