Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Optorite DVD writers

Optorite DVD writers

Graeme Woollett

Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
What media do they like and hate?
Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?

Thanks
Graeme

Tick Tock

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
>What media do they like and hate?
>Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
>
>Thanks
>Graeme

Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved about..

Tim

Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
>>What media do they like and hate?
>>Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Graeme

> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
> about..

In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
a much better writer.

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

Tick Tock

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
>>>What media do they like and hate?
>>>Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Graeme

>> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
>> about..

>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
>a much better writer.

Tim you are way way way out of date, read the later reviews, they have updated
the Firmware many times and the are now very compatible, plus with the
Bookmark utile they are hard to beat.

Can you get the Pioneer for say $200...?

Tick Tock

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
>>>What media do they like and hate?
>>>Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Graeme

>> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
>> about..

>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
>a much better writer.

Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual format
model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only 4x speed
models the Liteon is 8x.

Tim

Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
>>> about..

>>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
>>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
>>106/A06 is a much better writer.

> Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
> format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
> 4x speed models the Liteon is 8x.

I assume you are reading PP's page for that - they have got the specs
wrong. The 106 is a dual format writer, which was generally regarded as
having the best media compatibility of any writer on the market when I
bought it ~1 month ago. At the time (I did do my research) the Liteon
drive had its own forum devoted to people complaining about - I don't
know about you but I am not going to buy a drive from a manufacturer that
lets firmware out in a state like that.

As for price, the 106 can be bought for around $250 now. If 8x writing
is really that important to you, the 107 can do 8x dual format, and has
never had media problems like the ones that have plagued LiteOn. The
only reason I don't have one myself is that they were released on the NZ
market shortly after I bought the 106. Price on the 107 - just over $300
on Ascent.

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

MarkH

Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
>>> about..

>>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
>>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
>>106/A06 is a much better writer.

> Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
> format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
> 4x speed models the LiteOn is 8x.

Once again you’re incorrect. The Pioneer 106/A06 IS dual format and the
best price on pricespy is $245 incl GST.

LiteOn drives are available in 4x models and 8x models, you are wrong in
saying "the LiteOn is 8x" but you would be right if you said "the LiteOn
LDW-851S is 8x" and you could even add "with the lowest price on pricespy
of under $230"

You could put things so much better Roger, you could point out what a good
deal the LiteOn LDW-851S is without being such a dick and criticising every
other product, especially when the other products are very good.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Tick Tock

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:09:50 GMT, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
>>>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
>>>106/A06 is a much better writer.

>> Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
>> format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
>> 4x speed models the Liteon is 8x.

>I assume you are reading PP's page for that - they have got the specs
>wrong. The 106 is a dual format writer, which was generally regarded as
>having the best media compatibility of any writer on the market when I
>bought it ~1 month ago. At the time (I did do my research) the Liteon
>drive had its own forum devoted to people complaining about - I don't
>know about you but I am not going to buy a drive from a manufacturer that
>lets firmware out in a state like that.
>
>As for price, the 106 can be bought for around $250 now. If 8x writing
>is really that important to you, the 107 can do 8x dual format, and has
>never had media problems like the ones that have plagued LiteOn. The
>only reason I don't have one myself is that they were released on the NZ
>market shortly after I bought the 106. Price on the 107 - just over $300
>on Ascent.

I got a NEC from DSE one of the very few drives that does not read dummy sync
bytes, I do think the Pioneer does or the Liteon..

Tim Please read some of the later reviews on the Liteons as they do come out
tops..

What is the differece with the A06P..?

Seems that is not the OEM Model..?

Tick Tock

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:26:03 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
>>>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
>>>106/A06 is a much better writer.

>> Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
>> format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
>> 4x speed models the LiteOn is 8x.

>Once again you’re incorrect. The Pioneer 106/A06 IS dual format and the
>best price on pricespy is $245 incl GST.

The A06 is dearer as its no OEM, and PP has the specs wrong on the 106..

Go read PP.

>LiteOn drives are available in 4x models and 8x models, you are wrong in
>saying "the LiteOn is 8x" but you would be right if you said "the LiteOn
>LDW-851S is 8x" and you could even add "with the lowest price on pricespy
>of under $230"
>
>You could put things so much better Roger, you could point out what a good
>deal the LiteOn LDW-851S is without being such a dick and criticising every
>other product, especially when the other products are very good.

Tim

Tick Tock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> I got a NEC from DSE one of the very few drives that does not read
> dummy sync bytes, I do think the Pioneer does or the Liteon..

I have heard that is a very good drive - good purchase.

> Tim Please read some of the later reviews on the Liteons as they do
> come out tops..
>

> What is the differece with the A06P..?
>

> Seems that is not the OEM Model..?

The A06P comes with a different software bundle to the standard drives.
The software is more professional, so costs a lot more.