Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > March PC World Magazine

March PC World Magazine

Rider

The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
with it.

Rider

Tick Tock

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:39:16 +1300, "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
>been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
>with it.
>
>Rider

Only if you wish to go Insane..

Mainlander

In article <c23k19$pdm$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
> been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
> with it.

You can get debian for a few bucks, what are you complaining about?

Max Burke

Rider scribbled:

> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
> been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could
> play with it.
>
> Rider

They supplied a Knoppix version early last year, but the they cut so much
out of it to get it to fit on the CD it was crippled.

It cant even recognise the nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 Video Adapter properly
that is installed on my P4...
They really stuffed up a good oportunity there..

As to this months article it's too full of 'Linux will save the world from
Microsoft' crap to be much use as an intruduction to Linux let alone as
advocacy for Linux as an alternative to Windows; Oh and the poor
journalistic standards that cut and paste info from other sources to create
articles for the magazine.

Get the February issue of Australian PC authority. It has a 'run from a CD'
version of Morphix that works well.....
http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/

They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like Windows;
Everything I can do with this distro I already do with Windows so there is
no real need for me to change...
Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
USING Windows.

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

XPD

"Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote in message
news:i3e1c.30118$(E-Mail Removed)...
> They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like Windows;
> Everything I can do with this distro I already do with Windows so there is
> no real need for me to change...
> Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
> USING Windows.

Because you didnt have to sell your soul to MS to run it maybe ?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Max Burke wrote:
> Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
> USING Windows.

For the freedom... not free as in beer, but free as in speech...
hahah... sorry, couldn't help myself.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

dmbkiwi wrote:
> One word:
> Security

morphix auto logs on with an account with root priviledges... how is it
more secure?

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

dmbkiwi

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:29:02 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

> Rider scribbled:
>
>> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
>> been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could
>> play with it.
>>
>> Rider

> They supplied a Knoppix version early last year, but the they cut so much
> out of it to get it to fit on the CD it was crippled.
>
> It cant even recognise the nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 Video Adapter properly
> that is installed on my P4...
> They really stuffed up a good oportunity there..
>
> As to this months article it's too full of 'Linux will save the world from
> Microsoft' crap to be much use as an intruduction to Linux let alone as
> advocacy for Linux as an alternative to Windows; Oh and the poor
> journalistic standards that cut and paste info from other sources to create
> articles for the magazine.
>

> Get the February issue of Australian PC authority. It has a 'run from a CD'
> version of Morphix that works well.....
> http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/
>
> They only thing I found 'wrong' was that it is too much like Windows;
> Everything I can do with this distro I already do with Windows so there is
> no real need for me to change...
> Why use something that has the look and feel of Windows when you're alreay
> USING Windows.

One word:

Security

Matt

~misfit~

Max Burke wrote:
> Rider scribbled:
>
>> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would
>> have been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so
>> we could play with it.
>>
>> Rider

> They supplied a Knoppix version early last year, but the they cut so
> much out of it to get it to fit on the CD it was crippled.
>
> It cant even recognise the nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 Video Adapter
> properly that is installed on my P4...
> They really stuffed up a good oportunity there..

It picked up and 'installed' drivers for a GF 2 MX 400 on one of my
machines, ran sweet as a nut on all three (different) machines here
actually. Even had them all networked to my XP server/firewall/DHCP
server/internet connect machine with internet access. It was as simple as
stick the CD in, reboot and a couple minutes later browsing the web with
Knoppix.

I was impresssed, even made copies of the disk.
--
~misfit~

Lennier

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:39:16 +1300, Rider wrote:

> The March PC World mag has an interesting article on Linux. It would have
> been nice of them to supply a free distro of it on their cd so we could play
> with it.

Feel free to download one from the WWW.

Lennier

--
Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our