Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP SP2

XP SP2

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Anyone know the expected release date?

I grabbed a copy of the beta and it seems pretty cool... I like the
changes they have made with the firewall, and also with regards to
wireless networks.

The odd change of icon is welcome too(WLAN looks like a WLAN now rather
than a normal LAN).

The popup blocker seems to do what it says it does, blocks popups.

The new windows update seems quite cool... there were plenty of updates
for the newly installed SP2beta, but thats kinda to be expected due to
the fact that it is a beta.

Some sound driver updates for the SBlive... I use the default windows
drivers as I can't be f**ked downloading the 25MB drivers from creative.

It no longer tells me that I have drivers available for my wireless
card... it used to, right chipset, but the card stopped working if I
used them, so they seem to have refined that a little.

All in all, very nice.

It'd be nice to actually be on their beta program rather than having to
search around until I find a download for it though...
Nathan... hook a brother up???

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Richard

I have a question about the WLAN, if you have 2 or more access point, will
it automatically choose the closest one ? or need to manually choose ?

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:hYb1c.296$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know the expected release date?
>
> I grabbed a copy of the beta and it seems pretty cool... I like the
> changes they have made with the firewall, and also with regards to
> wireless networks.
>
> The odd change of icon is welcome too(WLAN looks like a WLAN now rather
> than a normal LAN).
>
> The popup blocker seems to do what it says it does, blocks popups.
>
> The new windows update seems quite cool... there were plenty of updates
> for the newly installed SP2beta, but thats kinda to be expected due to
> the fact that it is a beta.
>
> Some sound driver updates for the SBlive... I use the default windows
> drivers as I can't be f**ked downloading the 25MB drivers from creative.
>
> It no longer tells me that I have drivers available for my wireless
> card... it used to, right chipset, but the card stopped working if I
> used them, so they seem to have refined that a little.
>
> All in all, very nice.
>
> It'd be nice to actually be on their beta program rather than having to
> search around until I find a download for it though...
> Nathan... hook a brother up???
>
> --
> Http://www.Dave.net.nz
> Play Hangman
> Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Richard wrote:
> I have a question about the WLAN, if you have 2 or more access point, will
> it automatically choose the closest one ? or need to manually choose ?

Cant tell you at the moment, I only have one here. Infact, it doesnt
even see the one I use, simply because I dont use the XP WLAN software...

And now I don't seem to be able to find the piece where it says to "use
windows networking to configure this device"... odd...

I'll have a look later.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Nathan Mercer

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<qic1c.316$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I have a question about the WLAN, if you have 2 or more access point, will
> it automatically choose the closest one ? or need to manually choose ?

You can manually choose the AP you want, and you can also select a
preference for which network if you can see 2 or more at anytime

This is the same in XP, no change in here for XPSP2

You might want to disable connecting to adhoc networks tho, and just
let XP connect to APs

Cheers
Nathan

Nathan Mercer

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<hYb1c.296$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Anyone know the expected release date?
>
> I grabbed a copy of the beta and it seems pretty cool... I like the
> changes they have made with the firewall, and also with regards to
> wireless networks.
>
> The odd change of icon is welcome too(WLAN looks like a WLAN now rather
> than a normal LAN).

Yes, still shows inbound and outbound traffic through the NIC, just
that aerial is outbound

> The popup blocker seems to do what it says it does, blocks popups.
>
> The new windows update seems quite cool... there were plenty of updates
> for the newly installed SP2beta, but thats kinda to be expected due to
> the fact that it is a beta.

This is v5 of Windows Update and will go live when XPSP2 ships around
the end of May. Many of the updates you see there will be test
Windows Updates (yes MS has to test Windows Update as part of XPSP2
beta too)

> Some sound driver updates for the SBlive... I use the default windows
> drivers as I can't be f**ked downloading the 25MB drivers from creative.
>
> It no longer tells me that I have drivers available for my wireless
> card... it used to, right chipset, but the card stopped working if I
> used them, so they seem to have refined that a little.
>
> All in all, very nice.
>
> It'd be nice to actually be on their beta program rather than having to
> search around until I find a download for it though...
> Nathan... hook a brother up???

Send me an email offline and can arrange to get you on the official
XPSP2 beta program

Cheers
Nathan

Nathan Mercer

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<rrc1c.324$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Richard wrote:
> > I have a question about the WLAN, if you have 2 or more access point, will
> > it automatically choose the closest one ? or need to manually choose ?

> Cant tell you at the moment, I only have one here. Infact, it doesnt
> even see the one I use, simply because I dont use the XP WLAN software...

Thats one of the best/most useful features in Windows XP - the
wireless zero configuration service!

> And now I don't seem to be able to find the piece where it says to "use
> windows networking to configure this device"... odd...

Properties of your WLAN NIC, Wireless Network, check "Use Windows to
configure my wireless network settings"

Nathan

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>Cant tell you at the moment, I only have one here. Infact, it doesnt
>>even see the one I use, simply because I dont use the XP WLAN software...

> Thats one of the best/most useful features in Windows XP - the
> wireless zero configuration service!

I always had trouble using this as I was connecting to an insecure
network... so I used the Software that came with my card, it also gives
a bit more info than than the Windows stuff, and doesn't bitch about
signal dropping so much. The XP software always seems to think I have
weak signal, but the Dlink stuff is fine with it, infact, even when XP
reports no signal, I can still grab data at 3MB off a machine 2km
away(big f**k-off antenna).

>>And now I don't seem to be able to find the piece where it says to "use
>>windows networking to configure this device"... odd...

> Properties of your WLAN NIC, Wireless Network, check "Use Windows to
> configure my wireless network settings"

I'll check it when I get home, but Im sure it wasnt there... if it
works, I'll use it.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Richard

> Thats one of the best/most useful features in Windows XP - the
> wireless zero configuration service!

I find that it will not let me connect to my wlan unless the AP is
broadcasting the SSID, it will instead try to hop onto one of the other APs
I have on the roof which do broadcast SSID.

I had to untick the option to let windows use it, and use the cards own
software. I couldnt use my compaq card as its software doesnt let you change
anything, just see the signal levels etc.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>> And now I don't seem to be able to find the piece where it says to
>>> "use windows networking to configure this device"... odd...

>> Properties of your WLAN NIC, Wireless Network, check "Use Windows to
>> configure my wireless network settings"

> I'll check it when I get home, but Im sure it wasnt there... if it
> works, I'll use it.

There is no "Wireless Network" tab or button.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman