Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firewall Test-Zone Alarm fails!

Firewall Test-Zone Alarm fails!

PseUDO

Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
Kerio passes.

Interesting programme and website.

http://keir.net/firehole.html

PseUDO

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

PseUDO wrote:
> Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
> Kerio passes.
> Interesting programme and website.
> http://keir.net/firehole.html

I'm pretty sure that this was patched a while ago... but yeah, I'll have
to check on that as it was ages ago.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Kookaburra

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:39:15 +1300, PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
>Kerio passes.

The message I got was
"Either the program failed to connect or more likely it did not
recognise your web browser"

It launched IE OK. I'm using Outpost.

Cheers, Kooky

PseUDO

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> PseUDO wrote:
>
>> Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
>> Kerio passes.
>> Interesting programme and website.
>> http://keir.net/firehole.html

> I'm pretty sure that this was patched a while ago... but yeah, I'll have
> to check on that as it was ages ago.

The firehole programme is pretty old, it managed to get through the
latest version of Zone Alarm, which suprised me!, but Kerio brings up a
warning message.

PseUDO

Wizard

"PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:m_V0c.29957$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
> Kerio passes.
>
> Interesting programme and website.
>
> http://keir.net/firehole.html
>
> PseUDO

At the beginning of the article, I note the following...

Updated 3/25/2002 8:23AM

That's 2 years ago!!

PseUDO

Wizard wrote:

> "PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:m_V0c.29957$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
>>Kerio passes.
>>
>>Interesting programme and website.
>>
>>http://keir.net/firehole.html
>>
>>PseUDO

> At the beginning of the article, I note the following...
>
> Updated 3/25/2002 8:23AM
>
> That's 2 years ago!!

Yeah i was in the Mozilla Thunderbird forum reading this thread

about Zone Alarm, when somebody in their said that they had switched
from Zone Alarm to Kerio, due to the vulnerability in ZA, thats how i
came across the firehole programme.

I would of thought after 2 years that ZA would have been patched for a
vulnerability like this!.

PseUDO

Invisible

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:21:30 +1300, Kookaburra <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:39:15 +1300, PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
>>Kerio passes.
>>

>The message I got was
>"Either the program failed to connect or more likely it did not
>recognise your web browser"
>
>It launched IE OK. I'm using Outpost.

Same message here. Mozilla 1.5 is my default, and ZA Pro.

Dany P. Wu

In news:m_V0c.29957$(E-Mail Removed),
PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm Fails!!,
> Kerio passes.
>
> Interesting programme and website.
>
> http://keir.net/firehole.html
>
> PseUDO

Interesting.........

I'm using IPCop at home and firehole on one of the machines behind that box.
The program itself displayed the "CONNECTED! Message was sent successfully"
message at the bottom but my browser did not display the message that's
supposed to look like:

Message from user "rkeir" on computer WIN2K [192.168.1.100] at 11/06/01
19:37:38
***** I have successfully bypassed the personal firewall! *****

I'm not that network savvy so what does this mean? I'm running SlimBrowser.

Cheers,
Dany.

bambam

Kookaburra <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:39:15 +1300, PseUDO <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Just tried this firewall test using firehole.exe, Zone Alarm
>>Fails!!, Kerio passes.
>>

> The message I got was
> "Either the program failed to connect or more likely it did not
> recognise your web browser"
>
> It launched IE OK. I'm using Outpost.

I got the same message with Kerio 2.1.5 + FireFox, so I set Opera as my
default browser and ran Firehole again, this time Opera opened and I
got "message sent successfully" and no complaints from Kerio.
I found one 2 year old firewall test in which all failed the Firehole
test-

http://www.pcflank.com/art21.htm

Can anybody else get Kerio to fail? What warning message does Kerio
bring up?
I'm using Proxomitron as a filter/proxy, but I can't see how that would
make a difference.

--
Avoid parking tickets by leaving your windshield wipers turned to fast
wipe whenever you leave your car parked illegally.

AD.

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:09:14 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> I'm using IPCop at home and firehole on one of the machines behind that
> box. The program itself displayed the "CONNECTED! Message was sent
> successfully" message at the bottom but my browser did not display the
> message that's supposed to look like:
>
> Message from user "rkeir" on computer WIN2K [192.168.1.100] at 11/06/01
> 19:37:38
> ***** I have successfully bypassed the personal firewall! *****
>
> I'm not that network savvy so what does this mean? I'm running
> SlimBrowser.

It probably means the packets successfully left the NIC of your machine,
but because of IPCop they either didn't make it to the net, or the
response didn't make it back (more likely).

But I don't use any of those bits of software, so I'm only guessing.

Cheers
Anton