Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Clear hangs up - & hangs up - & hangs up

Sue Bilstein

I have 80 hours left this month on a 150-hour plan with Clear, but I'm about
to go back to flat rate with xtra, out of pure desperation over disconnects.

I've been working from home several days a week over a VPN. Clear drops me
every hour on average. Often after one drop I get 2-3 more at intervals of
a few minutes - just long enough to sign in with two passwords each time.

I've had Telecom check the line - it tested out within specs. I've had the
modem checked - it's OK. I've limited the modem to 33,600 - that made no
difference.

I've gone back to xtra for a couple of days. Still got dropped, but every
three hours on average - that's one-third the aggravation.

A service person at Clear claimed that the problem was my line (despite the
test results). He said that the longer the route to the server, the more
likely a marginal line is to disconnect. He said Telecom ensure that the
other ISPs always have longer routes to dial than xtra does.

Does anybody have a view on my problem or the Clear guy's theory?

E. Scrooge

"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4042dacd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 80 hours left this month on a 150-hour plan with Clear, but I'm

about
> to go back to flat rate with xtra, out of pure desperation over

disconnects.

> I've been working from home several days a week over a VPN. Clear drops

me
> every hour on average. Often after one drop I get 2-3 more at intervals

of
> a few minutes - just long enough to sign in with two passwords each time.
>
> I've had Telecom check the line - it tested out within specs. I've had

the
> modem checked - it's OK. I've limited the modem to 33,600 - that made no
> difference.
>
> I've gone back to xtra for a couple of days. Still got dropped, but every
> three hours on average - that's one-third the aggravation.
>
> A service person at Clear claimed that the problem was my line (despite

the
> test results). He said that the longer the route to the server, the more
> likely a marginal line is to disconnect. He said Telecom ensure that the
> other ISPs always have longer routes to dial than xtra does.
>
> Does anybody have a view on my problem or the Clear guy's theory?

Slingshot is good. The only complaint is that the newsgroup service could
be better, but they still useable despite being in sloow motion mode at
times. Speed and connection is good, compares well to ihug but for a lot
less.

Was the guy at Clear trying to get a job at Xtra instead of trying to help
you? You'll be putting in a good word for him?
LOL

E. Scrooge

Enkidu

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:39:28 +1300, "Sue Bilstein"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A service person at Clear claimed that the problem was my line (despite the
>test results). He said that the longer the route to the server, the more
>likely a marginal line is to disconnect. He said Telecom ensure that the
>other ISPs always have longer routes to dial than xtra does.
>
>Does anybody have a view on my problem or the Clear guy's theory?

Do you have a Telecom phone line? If so,that is a load of rubbish.
It's the distance to the exchange that matters, mostly.

Cheers,

Cliff

Steve Robertson

>I've gone back to xtra for a couple of days. Still got dropped, but every
>three hours on average - that's one-third the aggravation.

This may indicate line problems, or that ISP's just drop connections
to clear the lines.
Im with Clear, the must have a few dodgy modems , every now & then I
get a very unreliable connection. So I wait 5 minutes (for someone that modem
) then get a reliable connect ( I assume on a different GOOD modem at their
end)

ISPs will NEVER admit they have a problem. (problems often solved by switching
ISP's)

Tick Tock

wrote:

>I have 80 hours left this month on a 150-hour plan with Clear, but I'm about
>to go back to flat rate with xtra, out of pure desperation over disconnects.
>
>I've been working from home several days a week over a VPN. Clear drops me
>every hour on average. Often after one drop I get 2-3 more at intervals of
>a few minutes - just long enough to sign in with two passwords each time.
>
>I've had Telecom check the line - it tested out within specs. I've had the
>modem checked - it's OK. I've limited the modem to 33,600 - that made no
>difference.
>
>I've gone back to xtra for a couple of days. Still got dropped, but every
>three hours on average - that's one-third the aggravation.
>
>A service person at Clear claimed that the problem was my line (despite the
>test results). He said that the longer the route to the server, the more
>likely a marginal line is to disconnect. He said Telecom ensure that the
>other ISPs always have longer routes to dial than xtra does.
>
>Does anybody have a view on my problem or the Clear guy's theory?

Yes get a Decent Modem like a 3COM one, also check what else is one the phone
line..

I have problem with my Fax on the same line even with a good modem..

Better Modems can handle random noise & impulse noise..

Mind you I did have a problem once with Random Impulse noise, I could hear it
on the phone, reported the problem to Telecom and after some days they could
not find a fault, but I was still getting it, but one day the Supervisor rang
up, and then the noise happen to start, they replaced the cable pair to my
house the problem went away..

I don't think the ISP has any thing to do with this problem..

samg

"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4042dacd$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have 80 hours left this month on a 150-hour plan with Clear, but I'm
> about to go back to flat rate with xtra, out of pure desperation over
> disconnects.
>
> I've been working from home several days a week over a VPN. Clear
> drops me every hour on average. Often after one drop I get 2-3 more
> at intervals of a few minutes - just long enough to sign in with two
> passwords each time.
>
> I've had Telecom check the line - it tested out within specs. I've
> had the modem checked - it's OK. I've limited the modem to 33,600 -
> that made no difference.
>
> I've gone back to xtra for a couple of days. Still got dropped, but
> every three hours on average - that's one-third the aggravation.

hmmm sounds like you do have a line problem with it dropping off on xtra as
well, even though it works better for you than clear. Are you rural? Im on
clearnet dialup in Hamilton and I stay connected for days on end.

Gene

Also have your modem checked. I had a brand new modem causing random
disconnects replaced and is working fine now.

"samg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> hmmm sounds like you do have a line problem with it dropping off on xtra

as
> well, even though it works better for you than clear. Are you rural? Im

on
> clearnet dialup in Hamilton and I stay connected for days on end.

I'm in Maraetai, which is a village c. 20 km southeast of Howick. The phone
lines to Maraetai are fibre-optic cable - which is why we can't use ADSL.
The Telecom guy who came to check the line said they won't handle more than
34,000 baud, which is why I limited the modem to 33,600.

Sue Bilstein

"Gene" <evisser((at))clear.co.nz> wrote in message
news:4043aced$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Also have your modem checked. I had a brand new modem causing random
> disconnects replaced and is working fine now.
>
> "Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4042dacd$(E-Mail Removed)...

....> >
> > I've had Telecom check the line - it tested out within specs. I've had

> the
> > modem checked - it's OK. I've limited the modem to 33,600 - that made

no
> > difference.

pete

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:10:18 +1300, Tick Tock wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:39:28 +1300, "Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have 80 hours left this month on a 150-hour plan with Clear, but I'm about
>>to go back to flat rate with xtra, out of pure desperation over disconnects.
>>
>>I've been working from home several days a week over a VPN. Clear drops me
>>every hour on average. Often after one drop I get 2-3 more at intervals of
>>a few minutes - just long enough to sign in with two passwords each time.
>>
>>I've had Telecom check the line - it tested out within specs. I've had the
>>modem checked - it's OK. I've limited the modem to 33,600 - that made no
>>difference.
>>
>>I've gone back to xtra for a couple of days. Still got dropped, but every
>>three hours on average - that's one-third the aggravation.
>>
>>A service person at Clear claimed that the problem was my line (despite the
>>test results). He said that the longer the route to the server, the more
>>likely a marginal line is to disconnect. He said Telecom ensure that the
>>other ISPs always have longer routes to dial than xtra does.
>>
>>Does anybody have a view on my problem or the Clear guy's theory?
>>

> Yes get a Decent Modem like a 3COM one, also check what else is one the phone
> line..
>
> I have problem with my Fax on the same line even with a good modem..
>
> Better Modems can handle random noise & impulse noise..
>
> Mind you I did have a problem once with Random Impulse noise, I could hear it
> on the phone, reported the problem to Telecom and after some days they could
> not find a fault, but I was still getting it, but one day the Supervisor rang
> up, and then the noise happen to start, they replaced the cable pair to my
> house the problem went away..
>
> I don't think the ISP has any thing to do with this problem..

Random Impulse Noise = A Woger post

Firefox - Clear History? Paull Firefox 7 08-24-2012 04:49 PM
Response.Clear() doesn't clear David ASP .Net 2 01-31-2008 08:32 PM
Unrecognized element 'add' after <clear></clear> InvalidLastName ASP .Net Web Services 3 03-06-2007 03:07 AM
Gem hangs => TCPSocket.write hangs Tim Shadel Ruby 1 07-24-2005 06:11 AM

Advertisments