Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > View wireless networks from my desktop with wireless router?

View wireless networks from my desktop with wireless router?

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

Hi,

My laptop allows me to see other wireless networks in my neighborhood does
when you click "view wireless networks" in the system tray. Is their any
software that would allow me to do this from my desktop PC? I fiddled with
"Netstumbler" but had difficulty configuring to work with my Lynksys Router
(WRT54G). Thanks!

Greg

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You need Wireless Card in your Desktop.

You need Windows XP SP2.

If the above requirements met log to the Desktop Connection Properties and
check the Box down to the left. See here,
http://www.ezlan.net/jack/XP_Net_properties.jpg

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My laptop allows me to see other wireless networks in my neighborhood does
> when you click "view wireless networks" in the system tray. Is their any
> software that would allow me to do this from my desktop PC? I fiddled
> with
> "Netstumbler" but had difficulty configuring to work with my Lynksys
> Router
> (WRT54G). Thanks!
>
> Greg

=?Utf-8?B?bWF0dA==?=

Greg, do you have a wireless router for your laptop?

Is this router conected to your desktop by an ethernet or usb cable?

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

Jack and Matt,

Thanks,

The router is hard wired to the desktop. The laptop has a card, the desktop
does not (I think). I also have 2 Apple Airport Express' in bridge mode to
send music to 2 places in my house. I don't need a card for the desktop
since it's connected to the router but I figured that between my 3 wireless
devices, I should be able to see other wireless devices in the area like on
the laptop.

Greg

"matt" wrote:

> Greg, do you have a wireless router for your laptop?
>
> Is this router conected to your desktop by an ethernet or usb cable?

=?Utf-8?B?R3JlZw==?=

Jack and Matt,

Thanks. The router is hard wired to the desktop. The laptop has a card, the
desktop does not (I think). I also have 2 Apple Airport Express' in bridge
mode to send music to 2 places in my house. I don't need a card for the
desktop since it's connected to the router but I figured that between my 3
wireless devices, I should be able to see other wireless devices in the
neighborhood.

Greg

"matt" wrote:

> Greg, do you have a wireless router for your laptop?
>
> Is this router conected to your desktop by an ethernet or usb cable?

=?Utf-8?B?bWF0dA==?=

Greg, I had exactly the same problem.

you need to make sure that your server services are enabled in
run>services.msc>server>start

Then right click the folder that you wish to share and click on sharing and
security>share folder

then you have to disable your firewalls on both computers (remember to
enable them again and configure to accept network sharing after you are set
up!)

then run the network wizard on both computers and follow the instructions.
if you have a usb memory stick, it is easy, just copy the setup from one
computer to the other.

hope this helps. if you need any more help, post here. matt. good luck!