Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer shutting off without warning

Computer shutting off without warning

Kieren

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:43:31 -0800, Karen Hayward-King
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
>or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use.

Your BIOS might be set to switch the computer on when receiving
incoming modem signals. Check your BIOS.

K.

Steven H

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:37:35 +1300, Worm wrote:

> "Karen Hayward-King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?
>>

> Are you using Windows XP? I had a similar problem - although its supposedly
> a "feature" XP supposedly doesn't have "blue screens" - but really, come
> a big error it just resets by default!
>
> To disable this 'feature' and see if its the problem: Right click My
> Computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery. Uncheck
> "automatically restart".
>
> Hope that helps...?
>
> Worm

wtf are you talking about - that "automattically restart" will only force a
reboot if there is a kernal (read BSOD) pannic during the boot sequence.

Steven H - B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand
..net Geek

Worm

"Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed) - wont work anyway > wrote in
message newskwoqze4btng$.5jd5yhytwytp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> wtf are you talking about - that "automattically restart" will only force

> reboot if there is a kernal (read BSOD) pannic during the boot sequence.

What about BSOD's during normal use of windows? That's when my machine used
to reboot itself. Now I see the blue screen...although they don't happen
all that often

Worm

AD.

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:53:10 +1300, Steven H wrote:

> wtf are you talking about - that "automattically restart" will only force
> a reboot if there is a kernal (read BSOD) pannic during the boot sequence.

Not in my experience (Win2K that is) - that setting works for any BSOD,
not just ones during boot up.

As an aside the Server versions have it set by default, and the
Workstation version don't have it set by default. Makes sense, the
workstation usually has someone sitting in front of it while the server
usually doesn't.

Cheers
Anton