Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > eMail Server?

eMail Server?

The Hobbit

Hi All,

I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are used -
eg http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid and (E-Mail Removed)lid are email addresses we're
using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
(E-Mail Removed)lid at which point, the client making that connection
is delivered all emails.

What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails. Years ago I
played with e-smith which I believe could do something like this, but from
reading the more recent documentation it looks as if you need to point the
MX records to an IP address of your server. I'm not really wanting to try
handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

Any suggestions? I've got a seperate box set aside to be the email server
which will sit behind my firewall - happy with a linux distro, but as a
newbie I'd prefer a distro like e-smith or similar which just presents me
with a nice friendly interface to get me started.

Chris

"The Hobbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:eKu_b.70$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi All,
>
> I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are
> used - eg (E-Mail Removed)lid and (E-Mail Removed)lid are email
> addresses we're using - however, the way the email is currently setup
> we have to log in as (E-Mail Removed)lid at which point, the
> client making that connection is delivered all emails.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of
> these emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.
> Years ago I played with e-smith which I believe could do something
> like this, but from reading the more recent documentation it looks as
> if you need to point the MX records to an IP address of your server.
> I'm not really wanting to try handling all my own email and can't
> guarentee I'll have the same IP at all times so that doesn't appear to
> be an option.
>
> Any suggestions? I've got a seperate box set aside to be the email
> server which will sit behind my firewall - happy with a linux distro,
> but as a newbie I'd prefer a distro like e-smith or similar which just
> presents me with a nice friendly interface to get me started.

What about http://www.pmail.com/whatsnew/m32401.htm running under windows.
It's free and I see theres a new version just realised. I've only played
with it (some time ago) but use Pegasus (Pmail) as my email client.

--
Chris

The Hobbit

news:MQv_b.28088$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "The Hobbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:eKu_b.70$(E-Mail Removed):

<Snip>
> > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of
> > these emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.

<Snip>
> What about http://www.pmail.com/whatsnew/m32401.htm running under windows.
> It's free and I see theres a new version just realised. I've only played
> with it (some time ago) but use Pegasus (Pmail) as my email client.

Awesome! - This looks like it might do the trick - have downloaded it and
will give it a crack tonight. I'm still keen to try any other options for
that sake of comparision.

Lennier

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:59:47 +1300, The Hobbit wrote:

> What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
> emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails. Years ago I
> played with e-smith which I believe could do something like this, but from
> reading the more recent documentation it looks as if you need to point the
> MX records to an IP address of your server. I'm not really wanting to try
> handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
> times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

Get yourself a static IP address, and a Linux server/router/firewall. Use
that - it will perfectly match your requirements.

Lennier

--
"When dealing with the Religious Right one should remember that 'truth'
is not a part of the rules of their game."

steve

The Hobbit wrote:

> I'm*not*really*wanting*to*try
> handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
> times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

dyn-dns can let you get around that if you want to.

Ray Greene

Lan Suite from http://www.software602.com is excellent if you don't mind
using Windows. The free version is limited to 5 users though.

Ray Greene.

CollectorNZ

Ray Greene wrote:

>Lan Suite from http://www.software602.com is excellent if you don't mind
>using Windows. The free version is limited to 5 users though.
>
>Ray Greene.

And unlimited alias for each of the five users, also leave the catchall
on the ISP just pop it with Lansuite excellent results.

Enkidu

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are used -
>eg (E-Mail Removed)lid and (E-Mail Removed)lid are email addresses we're
>using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
>(E-Mail Removed) at which point, the client making that connection
>is delivered all emails.
>
>What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
>emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails. Years ago I
>played with e-smith which I believe could do something like this, but from
>reading the more recent documentation it looks as if you need to point the
>MX records to an IP address of your server. I'm not really wanting to try
>handling all my own email and can't guarentee I'll have the same IP at all
>times so that doesn't appear to be an option.

I use fetchmail to get POP mail from my ISP and put it into exim (a
sendmail clone). Pretty simple to set up. Then each family member can
POP into the server and download their mail.

Cheers,

Cliff

The Hobbit

"The Hobbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eKu_b.70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are

used -
> eg (E-Mail Removed)lid and (E-Mail Removed)lid are email addresses

we're
> using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
> (E-Mail Removed)lid at which point, the client making that

connection
> is delivered all emails.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
> emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.

<Snip>

Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The Mercury
product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at the
end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with it's
ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning. Still a bit of work to
be done to take full advantage of the bits of the product that I'm needing -
but at least I've got a working solution and the WAF (Wife Approval Factor)
is high as she's no longer getting mail (like 'interesting' spam) delivered
to her

Cheers again...

Mainlander

In article <qF6%b.2083$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> "The Hobbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eKu_b.70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've currently got a domain from which a bunch of email addresses are

> used -
> > eg (E-Mail Removed)lid and (E-Mail Removed)lid are email addresses

> we're
> > using - however, the way the email is currently setup we have to log in as
> > (E-Mail Removed)lid at which point, the client making that

> connection
> > is delivered all emails.
> >
> > What I'm looking for is a way of creating a central repository of these
> > emails which the people on my LAN can download *their* emails.

> <Snip>
>
> Thanks to all who replied. I've ended up going with Lan Suite from
> http://www.software602.com as suggested by Ray and CollectorNZ - The Mercury
> product suggested by Chris worked and had a nice small footprint, but at the
> end of the day the easy admin interface of LanSuite won out along with it's
> ability to intergrate with AVG for virus scanning.

You must be kidding. AVG is a load of crap for virus scanning, who's ever
heard of AVG?