Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Outlook Usenet Plugin

Outlook Usenet Plugin

Rupert

This is a sort of a re-post from a previous posting, but my question sort of
was not obvious given the subject of the posting....

I'm using Outlook 2003 as my mail reader - mostly b/c of the spam protection
which has been 100% so far, however it's always been a frustration that MS
has never added a Usenet facility into Outlook - similar to Outlook Express.

Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar fashion to
Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the most
friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style...

colinco

In article <c1dnuc$k35$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar fashion to
> Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the most
> friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style..

So whats your problem. MS uses OE as newsreader, you can use it or make
another newsreader the default newsreader. The newsreader is external to
Outlook.

Rupert

I don't want an external news reader - OE is great as in the same window you
can flick between news groups and emails, I am hoping there is something
similar I can install into Outlook...

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <c1dnuc$k35$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar fashion

> > Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the most
> > friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style..
> >

> So whats your problem. MS uses OE as newsreader, you can use it or make
> another newsreader the default newsreader. The newsreader is external to
> Outlook.

AD.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:49:51 +1300, Rupert wrote:

> I don't want an external news reader - OE is great as in the same window
> you can flick between news groups and emails, I am hoping there is
> something similar I can install into Outlook...

Don't be so quick to condemn an external news reader.

A long time ago (back when I was a Windows user), I used OE for both mail
and news until Exchange came along and I used Outlook for mail leaving OE
just for news. Separating the two was a big improvement.

I don't know if Outlook 2003 now keeps folder and message state (like
Evolution does) better than the older versions, but when I used OE for
both I always found it a pain switching between news and mail mode in
the same app and losing where I was with each.

Cheers
Anton

SNOman

Rupert wrote:
> This is a sort of a re-post from a previous posting, but my question sort of
> was not obvious given the subject of the posting....
>
> I'm using Outlook 2003 as my mail reader - mostly b/c of the spam protection
> which has been 100% so far, however it's always been a frustration that MS
> has never added a Usenet facility into Outlook - similar to Outlook Express.
>
> Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar fashion to
> Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the most
> friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style...

If you are using Outlook standalone then I don't think so. If you're
using it with exchange then sure.

Peter S

"Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1e02e$oud$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't want an external news reader - OE is great as in the same window

you
> can flick between news groups and emails, I am hoping there is something
> similar I can install into Outlook...
>
> "colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <c1dnuc$k35$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > Does anyone know of a plugin that does the trick - in a similar

fashion
> > > Outlook Express? - of all the news readers I reckon that OE has the

most
> > > friendly solution for news groups so looking to keep that style..
> > >

> > So whats your problem. MS uses OE as newsreader, you can use it or make
> > another newsreader the default newsreader. The newsreader is external to
> > Outlook.

Outlook Express is Outlooks News reader. If you choose View/Goto/News in
Outlook XP (not sure of 2003), it will start the system news reader.
Normally this is Outlook Express, in which case Outlook kicks it off with a
set of command line options that supress the email functionality of Outlook
Express and only displays the news reader. If you click on the Outlook
Express item in the folders pane in Outlook Express when it is kicked off
this way, you see it displays as 'Outlook Newsreader'.

Mainlander

In article <c1dnuc$k35$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> This is a sort of a re-post from a previous posting, but my question sort of
> was not obvious given the subject of the posting....
>
> I'm using Outlook 2003 as my mail reader - mostly b/c of the spam protection
> which has been 100% so far, however it's always been a frustration that MS
> has never added a Usenet facility into Outlook - similar to Outlook Express.

Outlook News Reader comes with outlook.