Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed

govt expectations for 2006 ? 9.6kbps speed

Chris

harry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fCa_b.27863$(E-Mail Removed):

> L33T wrote:
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
>>
>> all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
>>
>> "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
>> connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently
>> and take account of disabilities. "
>>
>> great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of
>> 9.6 in another **two** years time.
>>
>> so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.
>>

> Excellent news
> Well done Mark Harris !
> Text information needs to be made available in plain html for the
> blind using text to speech
> Listen to the web designers whine !
> Its got nothing to do with unbundling of copper ADSL and everything to
> do with universal access to information.

Bingo !

--
Chris

Max

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:16:36 +1300, "L33T"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
>
>all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
>
>"The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
>connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently and take
>account of disabilities. "
>
>great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
>another **two** years time.
>
>so the decision is for no absolutely unbundling, no change of heart.

The fact is, if people are going to connect to the internet using very
old computers and old unpatched versions of windows, then there is
going to be big issues with security and viruses.
Certainly that article shows that the government doesn't have much
faith in NZs ability to grow affordable broadband throughout the
country in the near future.
Maybe they should build sites so that they require modern computer
hardware to use them.
Really their needs to be a certain standard that internet users
computers need to reach before they should be allowed to connect to
the internet (maybe like a drivers license, surprised the government
haven't thought of that)

L33T

??? are you serious ???

a computer is simply a consumer item. some people know how to use them, some
don't. some ppl know how to use them really well, some ppl know how to use
it really well, badly.

who decides what the site + matching computer hardware standards should be ?
ibm ? dell ? telecom ? ihug ? peaches and cream ? indira patel at the dairy
? school kids ? woger ? (see a pattern emerging).

> Maybe they should build sites so that they require modern computer
> hardware to use them.
> Really their needs to be a certain standard that internet users
> computers need to reach before they should be allowed to connect to
> the internet (maybe like a drivers license, surprised the government
> haven't thought of that)

Chris

"L33T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c1bn32$u8i$(E-Mail Removed):

> ??? are you serious ???
>
> a computer is simply a consumer item. some people know how to use
> them, some don't. some ppl know how to use them really well, some ppl
> know how to use it really well, badly.
>
> who decides what the site + matching computer hardware standards
> should be ? ibm ? dell ? telecom ? ihug ? peaches and cream ? indira
> patel at the dairy ? school kids ? woger ? (see a pattern emerging).
>

>> Maybe they should build sites so that they require modern computer
>> hardware to use them.
>> Really their needs to be a certain standard that internet users
>> computers need to reach before they should be allowed to connect to
>> the internet (maybe like a drivers license, surprised the government
>> haven't thought of that)

Yeah, I saw a pattern "peaches and cream" "indira patel at the dairy"
"school kids" "woger" but wait, "indira patel at the dairy" ? No, no, no,
take out indira.... and then you have a pattern..."peaches and cream",
"school kids", "woger"..

--
Chris

Max

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:04:04 +1300, "L33T"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>??? are you serious ???
>
>a computer is simply a consumer item. some people know how to use them, some
>don't. some ppl know how to use them really well, some ppl know how to use
>it really well, badly.
>
>who decides what the site + matching computer hardware standards should be ?
>ibm ? dell ? telecom ? ihug ? peaches and cream ? indira patel at the dairy
>? school kids ? woger ? (see a pattern emerging).
>

>> Maybe they should build sites so that they require modern computer
>> hardware to use them.
>> Really their needs to be a certain standard that internet users
>> computers need to reach before they should be allowed to connect to
>> the internet (maybe like a drivers license, surprised the government
>> haven't thought of that)

The goverenments decision is just so backward, that I though I would
throw in a suggestion. I am sure MS would love my idea of having
computers only using software and hardware of a certain newness
connected to the interent

Dave Taylor

"L33T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c1b67m$b9v$(E-Mail Removed):

> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2822606a28,00.html
>
> all govt websites must be redesigned by jan 1 2006.
>
> "The guidelines aim to ensure websites work on old PCs with Internet
> connections as slow as 9.6kbps, use the Maori language consistently
> and take account of disabilities. "

Good, because as a dial-up user I prefer web sites to load up text before
the rest of the fluff like pics, and I like my pics to be progressive, so
that they just get sharper as they download. Good move IMHO, and I hope
that every important page has a printer friendly version available too.
Ciao, Dave

Lennier

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:16:36 +1300, L33T wrote:

> great to see that the govt expects people to still be having speed of 9.6 in
> another **two** years time.

It is indeed good to see that the Government is wanting all it's websites
to be FAST websites.

Good news indeed - good design principle - fast-loading.

Lennier

--
Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

L33T

lol , forgot to add stranded whalke at 90 mile beach after school kids.

> Yeah, I saw a pattern "peaches and cream" "indira patel at the dairy"
> "school kids" "woger" but wait, "indira patel at the dairy" ? No,
> no, no, take out indira.... and then you have a pattern..."peaches
> and cream", "school kids", "woger"..

L33T

good to have fast web sites, what concerned me was the expectation that
nothing will change technology wise or political wise to set a speed
standard so **low** for another 2 years.

> It is indeed good to see that the Government is wanting all it's
> websites to be FAST websites.
> Good news indeed - good design principle - fast-loading.

AD.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:49:24 +1300, L33T wrote:

> good to have fast web sites, what concerned me was the expectation that
> nothing will change technology wise or political wise to set a speed
> standard so **low** for another 2 years.

It's nothing to do with that - the egovt unit and the commerce commission
are very separate parts of the govt, and the egovt unit has been
refining and working on slowly phasing these guidelines in for years.

Lets face it, there is bugger all reason to bloat out government websites.
Just give people the content they went looking for without the extra crap.
You want the audience for this info to be as wide and as inclusive as
possible - it isn't there to entertain people while they look up the stuff
the need. You also can't predict where and when and on what device people
will be needing this stuff - requiring it to be kept light is the only
rational option.

It also means wasting less taxpayer money on bandwidth, server capacity
and expensive 'deziners'.

I'm all for it.

Cheers
Anton