Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Holy Crap...

Holy Crap...

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the **** out of me.

"Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
downloading and transferring of licensed music. Federal laws mandate
that you immediately cease and desist all illegal activities pertaining
to music theft. Further, you are required by law to pay all incurred
penalties in conjunction with Amendment 34-C, officially passed on March
10, 2003. In accordance with state jurisdictions, your failure to pay
these penalties in full within 30 days of receipt of this notice will
result in a warrant for your arrest. We are also required by law to
inform you that a second offense will result in a minimum jail sentence
of 90 days. Penalties incurred in your particular case may be reviewed
on our government Web site. All cases are deemed confidential. Penalties
are assessed by each individual download, charged at a nonnegotiable
rate of $1,200 per infraction. Click your specific case number (Case
No.: RG38751) http://www.liquidgeneration.com/riaa...qlu7y2xqb2zb3m
to view the total amount due or to dispute your case. Sincerely, Jay
Roth U.S. Agent Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights Case No.: RG38751"

Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi believable.
--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Peter S

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:Ly_Zb.52478$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the **** out of me.
>
> "Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
> 2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
> HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
> this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
> downloading and transferring of licensed music. Federal laws mandate
> that you immediately cease and desist all illegal activities pertaining
> to music theft. Further, you are required by law to pay all incurred
> penalties in conjunction with Amendment 34-C, officially passed on March
> 10, 2003. In accordance with state jurisdictions, your failure to pay
> these penalties in full within 30 days of receipt of this notice will
> result in a warrant for your arrest. We are also required by law to
> inform you that a second offense will result in a minimum jail sentence
> of 90 days. Penalties incurred in your particular case may be reviewed
> on our government Web site. All cases are deemed confidential. Penalties
> are assessed by each individual download, charged at a nonnegotiable
> rate of $1,200 per infraction. Click your specific case number (Case
> No.: RG38751) http://www.liquidgeneration.com/riaa...qlu7y2xqb2zb3m
> to view the total amount due or to dispute your case. Sincerely, Jay
> Roth U.S. Agent Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights Case No.:

RG38751"

> Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi

believable.
> --
> Http://www.Dave.net.nz
> Play Hangman
> Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

Brilliant!

I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

Max

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:23:55 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the **** out of me.
>
>"Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
>2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
>HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
>this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
>downloading and transferring of licensed music. Federal laws mandate
>that you immediately cease and desist all illegal activities pertaining
>to music theft. Further, you are required by law to pay all incurred
>penalties in conjunction with Amendment 34-C, officially passed on March
>10, 2003. In accordance with state jurisdictions, your failure to pay
>these penalties in full within 30 days of receipt of this notice will
>result in a warrant for your arrest. We are also required by law to
>inform you that a second offense will result in a minimum jail sentence
>of 90 days. Penalties incurred in your particular case may be reviewed
>on our government Web site. All cases are deemed confidential. Penalties
>are assessed by each individual download, charged at a nonnegotiable
>rate of $1,200 per infraction. Click your specific case number (Case
>No.: RG38751) http://www.liquidgeneration.com/riaa...qlu7y2xqb2zb3m
>to view the total amount due or to dispute your case. Sincerely, Jay
>Roth U.S. Agent Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights Case No.: RG38751"
>
>Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi believable.

It was a joke email, so one of your 'friends' would have sent it to
your email address, as you can with other jokes

Rupert

> > Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi

> believable.
> > --
> > Http://www.Dave.net.nz
> > Play Hangman
> > Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

> Brilliant!
>
> I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't delivered by
email!

Peter

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the **** out of me.
> "Illegal Music Downloads Bureau of Entertainment Executive Rights
> 2/21/2004 10:15:55 PM David Hall LAN No.: #4B-13XC4798220 Computer ID:
> HP9810-XK-Q63 Case No.: RG38751 Mr. Hall, Recent documents received by
> this bureau indicate you have been involved in the unauthorized
> downloading and transferring of licensed music.

I think there was a virus / worm that propagated using a line like that, ie
"we've caught you, just click on the attached file to see the evidence"
http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/escams.htm

Peter

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Peter S wrote:
>> Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi
>> believable.

> Brilliant!
> I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

now if they had used that flaw in IE that shows the incorrect URL, then
that would have been perfect.

not that I use IE, but still.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Max wrote:
>>Heh, I got this in my email today, scared the **** out of me.
>>Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi believable.

> It was a joke email, so one of your 'friends' would have sent it to
> your email address, as you can with other jokes

I know, hence the "heh", and the "semi believable"

Workmate has since been added to as many "email me company information"
web links as I can find.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Rupert wrote:
>>>Now apart from the liquidgeneration.com link, the rest was semi
>>>believable.

>>I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

> that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't delivered by
> email!

I do... but still.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Mutlley

>>>I reckon I would fill my pants on that one too!!

>> that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't delivered by
>> email!

>I do... but still.

And they are US court orders so you will have to go to the US and
then go to Jail

cowboyz

Mutlley wrote:

>>> that and i trust that you realised that court orders etc aren't
>>> delivered by email!

>> I do... but still.

> And they are US court orders so you will have to go to the US and
> then go to Jail

probably the safeist place to be over there.

Re: Holy Internet Deals Batman!! Jtyc MCSE 3 03-10-2006 04:41 AM
70-297 HOLY CRAP rwilsonsr@foundation.uconn.edu MCSE 4 02-01-2005 03:53 PM
Holy crap Ken Briscoe MCSE 14 01-30-2004 07:20 PM
And for the holy grail... Sky ASP .Net 3 01-28-2004 12:22 PM
Holy JUMPING frameset Batman! Jerry ASP .Net 0 01-27-2004 07:16 PM

Advertisments