Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google takes Spybot searches to the worng place

Google takes Spybot searches to the worng place

Enkidu

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:19:40 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jason M)
wrote:

>If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
>download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
>article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
>and they may not do the job properly.

Thanks, I think I know someone who has done that.

Cheers,

Cliff

Gordon

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:22:06 +1300, steve wrote:

> bambam wrote:
>
>> # Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
>> # Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
>> # Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
>> # Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
>> # Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.
>>
>> <paste>
>>
>> http://www.copernic.com/en/products/...ture-list.html
>>
>> Not everybody fits in this box.
>>
>> I'll stick with Google, thanks.

> If they supported Linux, I'd try it.

My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones web
browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines, or the
acess to them.

Gordon

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:55:09 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

> Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link" for
> any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild goose
> chase.

Nope, no goose chase. The target is your wallet. There are people who are
willing to pay for a product. I have no problem with sponsered links as
long as Google gives the results.

An aside, how much would you be willing to pay for a Google search, 1, 5,
10, 20, 99 cents or more?

harry

Gordon wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:22:06 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>> bambam wrote:
>>
>>> # Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
>>> # Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
>>> # Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
>>> # Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
>>> # Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.
>>>
>>> <paste>
>>>
>>> http://www.copernic.com/en/products/...ture-list.html
>>>
>>> Not everybody fits in this box.
>>>
>>> I'll stick with Google, thanks.

>> If they supported Linux, I'd try it.

> My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones
> web browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines, or
> the acess to them.

We had proprietary search engine browser customisations for IE, now there is
a googlebar for mozilla and firefox too.
Cool!
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

Lebowski

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:55:09 +1300, Lebowski wrote:
>
> > Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link"

for
> > any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild

goose
> > chase.

> Nope, no goose chase. The target is your wallet. There are people who are
> willing to pay for a product. I have no problem with sponsered links as
> long as Google gives the results.
>
> An aside, how much would you be willing to pay for a Google search, 1, 5,
> 10, 20, 99 cents or more?

*Pay* for something on the net? What? Have you gone mad?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

harry wrote:
>>My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones
>>web browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines, or
>>the acess to them.

> We had proprietary search engine browser customisations for IE, now there is
> a googlebar for mozilla and firefox too.
> Cool!
> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

harry

~misfit~ wrote:
> Howard wrote:
>> T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>>
>>> Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

>> Buecause of all the extra useful buttons it offers like being able to
>> restrict you sesrch to only Penguin friendly sites, or MS friendly if
>> you insist, but I find the most useful bottons are the ones which
>> allow you to do a one click search for the terms you searched for in
>> the page shown.

> The pop-up stopper function is handy also.

But built in to mozilla.

Howard

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> harry wrote:
>>> My dear chap, surely a search engine should give one reults in ones
>>> web browser? Heaven forbid that we have propiority search engines,
>>> or the acess to them.

>> We had proprietary search engine browser customisations for IE, now
>> there is a googlebar for mozilla and firefox too.
>> Cool!
>> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

> Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

What googlebar functions are built in ?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

harry wrote:
>>>http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/googlebar

>>Why would you need a google bar at all? it's all built in anyway.

> What googlebar functions are built in ?

It appears that I only use very limited features of the google bar, lord
knows I grabbed it about a million years ago.

mine doesnt seem to have the features that the new one has.
it only has search, all I have ever needed.

anyway, never mind, I'll try the new one. and the mozilla add on if it
is so great.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz