Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google takes Spybot searches to the worng place

Reply
Thread Tools

Google takes Spybot searches to the worng place

 
 
Jason M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
sponsored links at the top which take you to sites where you can
download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
and they may not do the job properly.

This is the genuine Spybot site:
http://www.safer-networking.org

These two are not genuine Spybot sites:

http://www.spybot-search.com/
where you get spyhunter instead

http://spybot-spyware.com/
where you get god knows what.

Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of this
problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they got the
wrong one.

It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored links
to the wrong place when people are searching for a trademarked name.

Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EAgle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004

"Jason M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
> sponsored links at the top which take you to sites where you can
> download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
> article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
> and they may not do the job properly.
>
> This is the genuine Spybot site:
> http://www.safer-networking.org
>
> These two are not genuine Spybot sites:
>
> http://www.spybot-search.com/
> where you get spyhunter instead
>
> http://spybot-spyware.com/
> where you get god knows what.
>
> Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of this
> problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they got the
> wrong one.
>
> It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored links
> to the wrong place when people are searching for a trademarked name.
>
> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!


You maybe right about the wrong ads on Google.. they should fix it.. but
Copernic over google? u gotta be kidding me. Google is by far the best
search engine


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jason M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:27:36 +1300, "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jason M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .


>> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

>
>You maybe right about the wrong ads on Google.. they should fix it.. but
>Copernic over google? u gotta be kidding me. Google is by far the best
>search engine


For searching newsgroups, images and news, maybe it is.
But using Copernic I often find things that people can't find using
Google.
Copernic is currently using 11 different search engines in parallel
(AOL Search, Altavista, MSN Web Search, HotBot, Lycos, Yahoo, Ah-ha,
FindWhat, Mamma, Open Directory Project, Fast Search), and may often
find things that single search engines won't.

http://www.copernic.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004

"Jason M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has two
> sponsored links at the top which take you to sites where you can
> download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the genuine
> article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the imposters find,
> and they may not do the job properly.
>
> This is the genuine Spybot site:
> http://www.safer-networking.org
>
> These two are not genuine Spybot sites:
>
> http://www.spybot-search.com/
> where you get spyhunter instead
>
> http://spybot-spyware.com/
> where you get god knows what.
>
> Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of this
> problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they got the
> wrong one.
>
> It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored links
> to the wrong place when people are searching for a trademarked name.
>
> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!


Eh??? Google is number 1 by a long long shot.

Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link" for
any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild goose
chase.

Taking a cursory glance at my Google search result for "Spybot", I see
security.kolla.de/ is still the top result - which is the official home of
Spybot of course (along with safer-networking.org of course as mentioned in
the OP). Often a common symptom of internet / pc usage, it's often not the
tools at fault - but the user


 
Reply With Quote
 
bambam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jason M) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If you are looking for Spybot search & destroy, Google *still* has
> two sponsored links at the top which take you to sites where you
> can download something that looks similar to Spybot but isn't the
> genuine article. e.g. you may have to pay to remove what the
> imposters find, and they may not do the job properly.
>
> This is the genuine Spybot site:
> http://www.safer-networking.org
>
> These two are not genuine Spybot sites:
>
> http://www.spybot-search.com/
> where you get spyhunter instead
>
> http://spybot-spyware.com/
> where you get god knows what.
>
> Since I don't use Google for searching the Web I was unaware of
> this problem when advising someone to search for Spybot, and they
> got the wrong one.
>
> It's time Google fixed this, it's disgraceful to show sponsored
> links to the wrong place when people are searching for a
> trademarked name.
>
> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!


Who clicks on sponsored links? They are clearly labeled and coloured
differently to make them easily identifiable as a sponsored link.
Both sponsored links lead to the same download (spyhunter).
Out of the first page of 10 legitimate links 8 lead to the correct
program and 2 lead to dead pages.
Maybe you should have sent a link instead of just telling them to
search for themselves.

Copernic - System Requirements

<paste>

# Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
# Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
# Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
# Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
# Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.

<paste>

http://www.copernic.com/en/products/...ture-list.html

Not everybody fits in this box.

I'll stick with Google, thanks.


--
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
Jason M wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:27:36 +1300, "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Jason M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
>>> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

>>
>> You maybe right about the wrong ads on Google.. they should fix it..
>> but Copernic over google? u gotta be kidding me. Google is by far
>> the best search engine

>
> For searching newsgroups, images and news, maybe it is.
> But using Copernic I often find things that people can't find using
> Google.
> Copernic is currently using 11 different search engines in parallel
> (AOL Search, Altavista, MSN Web Search, HotBot, Lycos, Yahoo, Ah-ha,
> FindWhat, Mamma, Open Directory Project, Fast Search), and may often
> find things that single search engines won't.
>
> http://www.copernic.com


I used to use Dogpile exclusively. It searches Google, Yahoo, Altavista and
a whole bunch of others.

www.dogpile.com
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:55:09 +1300, "Lebowski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone dumb enough to even take a second glance at a "sponsored link" for
>any particular search topic deserves to be led on a fruitlessly wild goose
>chase.


Sometimes the sponsored link is quite relevant, or in fact the one you
were looking for. I must be dumb as I have clicked on them and found
them useful. I did however realise that it was a sponsored link I was
clicking on.


 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
Jason M wrote:

>
> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!


I'll try it out. Google is going to be floated soon and will at that pointed
likely be perverted to present what they want to sell instead of what you
are looking for.

Google BECAME popular because they did not manipulate the search results the
other search engines began to.

Infoseek was a better earch engine.....until they corrupted it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
bambam wrote:

> # Processor: Pentium 120 MHz (or higher) or a compatible processor.
> # Memory: At least 32 MB of RAM.
> # Operating System: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP.
> # Hard Disk: At least 2 MB for the application.
> # Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later.
>
> <paste>
>
> http://www.copernic.com/en/products/...ture-list.html
>
> Not everybody fits in this box.
>
> I'll stick with Google, thanks.


If they supported Linux, I'd try it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ScOZb.26743$(E-Mail Removed):

> Jason M wrote:
>
>>
>> Don't use Google to search the Web, use Copernic!

>
> I'll try it out. Google is going to be floated soon and will at that
> pointed likely be perverted to present what they want to sell instead
> of what you are looking for.


Google is a company now so having an IPO is hardly going to make any
difference IMO as the value in the company is the IP and methods they use.
>
> Google BECAME popular because they did not manipulate the search
> results the other search engines began to.
>
> Infoseek was a better earch engine.....until they corrupted it.
>

Didn't Infoseek have banner adds before it became go.com, ? I can't
remember it was that long ago (in internet terms)

And even if Google is corrupted by capitalist pigs some comrade will surely
set up another "Google like" search engine that fundamentalist's and
reformist's alike can enjoy



--
Chris

"Two men walk into a bar. You'd think the second one would've ducked..."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There is some prolem in the funciton modification below. Please checkit and tell me what is worng? Unpopular C++ 2 02-15-2008 08:41 AM
how to handle with the worng url parameters? moshe ASP General 3 05-24-2005 05:49 PM
Firefox google search bar searches google.de Abso Firefox 3 01-06-2005 10:55 PM
what is worng with this JScript Craig G ASP .Net 1 12-21-2004 11:23 AM
hi problem, with c++ code i am learn so plz tell me what i did worng and how fix fastwings C++ 3 04-17-2004 09:25 PM



Advertisments