Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Which drive to put paging file on

Which drive to put paging file on

Acetyldehyde

I have an XP box with a pair of SATA 60 gb drives set up as a raid0 volume
for my primary drive, and a ATA 133 drive as a backup/storage drive.

Will moving my page file off my primary drive be an improvement as its away
from the OS system files, or will the speed difference degrade page file
access.

note: the raid volume is VERY fast.

While trying to find out why XP indexing is so horrible I came across this
great site which also had lots a good stuff about page files like how to
defrag them.

indexing
http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm
page file
http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Acetyldehyde wrote:
> I have an XP box with a pair of SATA 60 gb drives set up as a raid0 volume
> for my primary drive, and a ATA 133 drive as a backup/storage drive.
> Will moving my page file off my primary drive be an improvement as its away
> from the OS system files, or will the speed difference degrade page file
> access.
> note: the raid volume is VERY fast.

Personally I always keep the pagefile on the fastest drive.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Mauricio Freitas

"Acetyldehyde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AY1Zb.25184$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an XP box with a pair of SATA 60 gb drives set up as a raid0 volume
> for my primary drive, and a ATA 133 drive as a backup/storage drive.
>
> Will moving my page file off my primary drive be an improvement as its

away
> from the OS system files, or will the speed difference degrade page file
> access.
>
> note: the raid volume is VERY fast.
>
> While trying to find out why XP indexing is so horrible I came across this
> great site which also had lots a good stuff about page files like how to
> defrag them.
>
> indexing
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm
> page file
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

I use PageDefrag from www.sysinternals.com. It keeps the pagefile in order,
plus the registry and event files.

I also have the indexing service disabled and removed the Index attribute
from my hard drive.

--
Mauricio Freitas
Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

Warwick

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:26:41 +1300, Acetyldehyde wrote:

> I have an XP box with a pair of SATA 60 gb drives set up as a raid0 volume
> for my primary drive, and a ATA 133 drive as a backup/storage drive.
>
> Will moving my page file off my primary drive be an improvement as its away
> from the OS system files, or will the speed difference degrade page file
> access.
>
> note: the raid volume is VERY fast.
>
> While trying to find out why XP indexing is so horrible I came across this
> great site which also had lots a good stuff about page files like how to
> defrag them.
>
> indexing
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm
> page file
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

If you ever get to the bottom of that indexing problem please post the
answers here.

Like Maurico I turned it off, and I turned off the stupid dog ....
but file find runs like a dog. 90%+ of processing power and slow slow slow
slow.

cheers
Warwick

Acetyldehyde

I occasionally (when I remeber) turn on indexing when I'm off for the
day/night and leave the ba5tard to do it's thing. It's only horrible when
it's building the index. When it's done the disk thrashing stops and you are
allowed to use your computer again...

news:vhciuqljl93f$.1jrj98pry8wcw$(E-Mail Removed).. .