Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anti-virus recommendations?

Anti-virus recommendations?

sd

I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

steve

sd wrote:

> I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
> requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
> scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

Linux.

Free.

Scans nothing, ever, for viruses.

No need.

Chris

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (sd) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
> requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
> scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

My eTrust EZ Antivirus doesn't appear to allow excluding certain
directories, so I guess that kind of answers your question in part in
reverse

--
Chris

Warwick

On 17 Feb 2004 13:07:19 -0800, sd wrote:

> I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
> requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
> scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

AVG has that functionality.

Warwick

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:55:54 +1300, steve wrote:

> sd wrote:
>
>> I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
>> requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
>> scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

> Linux.
>
> Free.
>
> Scans nothing, ever, for viruses.
>
> No need.

Not much use if you are protecting an online windows box tho is it?

sd

Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> On 17 Feb 2004 13:07:19 -0800, sd wrote:
>
> > I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
> > requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
> > scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

> AVG has that functionality.

Thanks. Can you tell me where to configure that option? I've used AVG
before but must have overlooked that feature.

Warwick

On 17 Feb 2004 22:26:15 -0800, sd wrote:

> Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
>> On 17 Feb 2004 13:07:19 -0800, sd wrote:
>>
>>> I need some recommendations for anti-virus software with one specific
>>> requirement: the ability to exclude certain directories from real-time
>>> scan protection. Can any of the cheap/free scanners do this?

>> AVG has that functionality.

> Thanks. Can you tell me where to configure that option? I've used AVG
> before but must have overlooked that feature.

From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

Alan Chiew

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:13 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

But that's not "real-time scan protection".

Warwick

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:12:19 +1300, Alan Chiew wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:13 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

> But that's not "real-time scan protection".

bugger, sorry I misunderstood the question.

What is the requirement then? Resident shield is doing what? scanning email
and port traffic? It is not a directory specific task is it?

sd

Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:12:19 +1300, Alan Chiew wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:13 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>From the main menu, test/ Custom test.

> > But that's not "real-time scan protection".

> bugger, sorry I misunderstood the question.
>
> What is the requirement then? Resident shield is doing what? scanning email
> and port traffic? It is not a directory specific task is it?

Resident Shield scans files in the background when you access them.
There's one particular program file that is 100% legitimate but
anti-virus software (so far I've tried AVG and CA eTrust) detects it
as some kind of script and throws up a warning message.