Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Choices ..... MSI or Gigabyte

Choices ..... MSI or Gigabyte

Rider

If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it be?

I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.

Thoughts?

cowboyz

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0tsq8$b4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it

be?

> I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
> conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
> it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.
>
> Thoughts?

gigabyte all the way.

I have never owned an MSI board because I have always perceived them as sit.
I don't know if it is warrented or not.

steve

Rider wrote:

> If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it
> be?
>
> I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
> conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
> it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.
>
> Thoughts?

You know? It depends on the board.

I've had crap boards from every major vendor.

I've had great boards from every major vendor.

It's luck....and not buying the new-hotness until some other bugger has
already pulled his hair out...or not.

Gordon

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:52:46 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

> gigabyte all the way.

As another posted said, in no so many words. I have had two gigabyte MB
crap out.

So they are not at the top of my list.

MarkH

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c0tsq8$b4c$(E-Mail Removed):

> If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would
> it be?
>
> I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember.
> Thats conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been
> unlucky, or is it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are
> built rather flimsy.
>
> Thoughts?

I think that MSI are OK for a cheap brand.

I would personally look at Asus or Gigabyte and forget MSI.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

steve

MarkH wrote:

> I would personally look at Asus or Gigabyte and forget MSI.

I bought ONLY ASUS for a couple of years...and they were afflicted like
everyone with occasional buggy shipsets from OEM chipmakers like VIA or
whoever.

MarkH

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsTDYb.24882$(E-Mail Removed):

> MarkH wrote:
>
>> I would personally look at Asus or Gigabyte and forget MSI.

> I bought ONLY ASUS for a couple of years...and they were afflicted like
> everyone with occasional buggy shipsets from OEM chipmakers like VIA or
> whoever.

I donít think anyone has made any claim that there is any brand that will
never have a single problem. However I have found Asus to be generally
very reliable, good performance and good quality.

My 16 month old Asus P4PE board has USB2 (6 ports) firewire, gigabit LAN
and has never skipped a beat. Good features, good reliability and good
performance.

I also used to do onsite warranty work for an OEM that used Asus boards,
then they switched to Tekram boards, then to MSI. Asus failures were so
much less than Tekram or MSI, Iíd rather pay the extra to get the better
quality.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:15:55 +1300, Rider wrote:

> If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it be?

Neither, preferably.

Mainlander

In article <c0tsq8$b4c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it be?
>
> I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
> conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
> it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.

We had a suite of 10 MSI 5150 PCs (otherwise known in NZ as the PC Direct
520VS). This is a low profile desktop pc that was imported to NZ I
believe as a complete unit, although I could be wrong about that (the
manuals for it describe it as a complete unit, not just a motherboard)

The main concern is that on two of them the onboard NIC has failed and
had to be replaced with a NIC card in one of the 2 slots. Although it is
easy enough to jumper out the onboard nic.

Disco Stu

Rider wrote:
> If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it be?
>
> I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
> conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
> it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.
>
> Thoughts?

I've no experience with Gigabyte, but I do prefer my VIA M/B to the
several MSI M/Bs I've owned over the years.

To give MSI their dues, their M/Bs were very very affordable, but had a
few minor problems that I was able to work around.

Is a Gigabyte a Gigabyte? Creative Gives In Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 05-03-2008 01:57 AM
Choices, Choices!!!! Leeland Clay MCAD 2 02-13-2006 01:53 PM
Anyone successfully install 2003 Server x64 (or even XP 64) on ASUS AN8, Gigabyte K8NF9, or MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard? RCSea Windows 64bit 12 08-02-2005 03:14 PM
Choices, choices, choices. Scott Digital Photography 0 10-04-2004 06:15 PM
Choices, choices stuart.cameron Digital Photography 1 06-28-2004 09:29 AM

Advertisments