Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bloody internal modems

Bloody internal modems

Al

Hi Folks,

I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
Pentium 166.

The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it

The system is Win98SE.

Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.

The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
manual
reccomends it be set to.

When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
port which I
installed.

Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver. Seemed
to install ok, but
when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!

Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.

Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create its
own Com port (in this
case Com3?)

What else can I try?

Cheers

-Al

Al

PS: Anyone know how to disable Com ports on a old PC Direct P166? Could not
find
it in Bios. Wondering if it might be jumpered? Hard to remember back that
far!!

-Al

"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:402ffd34$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
> Pentium 166.
>
> The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it
>
> The system is Win98SE.
>
> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
>
> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
> manual
> reccomends it be set to.
>
> When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
> port which I
> installed.
>
> Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver.

Seemed
> to install ok, but
> when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
>
> Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
>
> Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create

its
> own Com port (in this
> case Com3?)
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al

Roger_Nickel

Al wrote:
> PS: Anyone know how to disable Com ports on a old PC Direct P166? Could not
> find
> it in Bios. Wondering if it might be jumpered? Hard to remember back that
> far!!
>
> -Al
>
> "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:402ffd34$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
>>Pentium 166.
>>
>>The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it
>>
>>The system is Win98SE.
>>
>>Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
>>
>>The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
>>manual
>>reccomends it be set to.
>>
>>When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
>>port which I
>>installed.
>>
>>Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver.

> Seemed
>
>>to install ok, but
>>when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
>>
>>Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
>>
>>Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create

> its
>
>>own Com port (in this
>>case Com3?)
>>
>>What else can I try?
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>-Al

Not sure, but it is an ISA PnP modem and ISA PnP was always dodgy. You
will likely need to manually assign IRQ and I/O in device manager. COM1
and COM2 share interupts with COM3 and COM4 respectively so avoid COM3
and COM4 if you can. A modem on COM3 can stop working if you have a
mouse on COM1. Device manager will tell you if there are conflicts.

Gavin Tunney

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:52:11 +1300, "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
>Pentium 166.
>
>The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it
>
>The system is Win98SE.
>
>Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
>
>The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
>manual
>reccomends it be set to.
>
>When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
>port which I
>installed.
>
>Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver. Seemed
>to install ok, but
>when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
>
>Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
>
>Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create its
>own Com port (in this
>case Com3?)
>
>What else can I try?

First make sure the IRQ it's set to isn't conflicting with another
IRQ. You can use the same IRQ as Com1, so long as Com1 isn't being
used. You look to have set it up right, it's a hardware modem so the
hardware wizard will find it as a Com port.

Next test the modem to make sure it's actually working. If it was set
to Com2 that suggests the usual Com2 has been disabled so check
device manager or the BIOS post screen for Com ports & see how many
are listed. Then boot to a Dos prompt & dial your mobile by typing;

echo atdt02712345 > com3

If it shows only two com ports then under Dos it will be Com2 rather
than Com3, Dos treats Com ports sequentially. It should dial yr
mobile, echo ath > com3 hangs up & echo atz > com3 resets the modem.

If it doesn't dial out then you've a hardware fault of some
kind....wrong jumpers, conflicting irq, faulty modem, bad cable etc.
If it does dial out then it works ok & you've probably got the wrong
drivers...try installing the standard 33.6k modem driver & see if it
works then. Can use the same at commands in hyperterminal to dial out
& it will do it using the windows drivers then.

GT

Dave Taylor

"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:402ffd34$(E-Mail Removed):

> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
>
> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what
> the manual
> reccomends it be set to.

This means that Com2 was probably disabled in BIOS and has been re-enabled.
Disable it again. Disable PNP OS in BIOS. Set modem to Com2. Boot windows
to safe mode. Remove all Com2 and Com3 ports, and modems from device
manager from within safe mode. Reboot and feed drivers, usually from C:
\windows\inf is sufficient as it was working before.
Ciao, Dave

Enkidu

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:59:21 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:402ffd34$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
>>
>> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what
>> the manual
>> reccomends it be set to.
>>

>This means that Com2 was probably disabled in BIOS and has been re-enabled.
>Disable it again. Disable PNP OS in BIOS. Set modem to Com2. Boot windows
>to safe mode. Remove all Com2 and Com3 ports, and modems from device
>manager from within safe mode. Reboot and feed drivers, usually from C:
>\windows\inf is sufficient as it was working before.
>Ciao, Dave

Yep, I'll vote for that. Internal modems sort of provide their own com
port.

Cheers,

Cliff

Stewy

Al wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
> Pentium 166.
>
> The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it
>
> The system is Win98SE.
>
> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
>
> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
> manual
> reccomends it be set to.
>
> When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
> port which I
> installed.
>
> Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver.
> Seemed to install ok, but
> when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
>
> Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
>
> Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create
> its own Com port (in this
> case Com3?)
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al

Yeah, I had one of those once, I think. It sets up it's own port.

If I remember right, mine had a floppy for setting up the modem port and
another floppy for the drivers.

I ditched it for a normal modem after a while. I've got an external now and
would never look back.

Mainlander

In article <402ffd34$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
> Pentium 166.
>
> The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it
>
> The system is Win98SE.
>
> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
>
> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
> manual
> reccomends it be set to.
>
> When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
> port which I
> installed.
>
> Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver. Seemed
> to install ok, but
> when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
>
> Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
>
> Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create its
> own Com port (in this
> case Com3?)

If the modem is plug and play, make sure you have at least one free COM
port that it can install itself as. Then have Windows run the hardware
wizard and it should detect it as a com port. Once it has set up the com
port then add the modem, it probably won't detect an older one, but put
it onto the new com port.

If it's not plug and play then you need to add the com port in device
manager, then install as above.

It's not really a big deal, I have had a Dynalink 14400 bps modem running
in one of my machines for some time, and I put in a GVC 28800 modem the
other day, this is PnP so just follows a slightly different procedure.

If non PNP provided you have the jumpers to the right com port AND there
isn't a COM port in the motherboard already that has the same settings
(disable it if there is obviously) it should be OK.

Mainlander

In article <403002bb$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> PS: Anyone know how to disable Com ports on a old PC Direct P166? Could not
> find
> it in Bios. Wondering if it might be jumpered? Hard to remember back that
> far!!

Any machine of this age should have the ports onboard and they will be in
the Bios, there are several screens so just go through them.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:59:21 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:402ffd34$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
> >>
> >> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what
> >> the manual
> >> reccomends it be set to.
> >>

> >This means that Com2 was probably disabled in BIOS and has been re-enabled.
> >Disable it again. Disable PNP OS in BIOS. Set modem to Com2. Boot windows
> >to safe mode. Remove all Com2 and Com3 ports, and modems from device
> >manager from within safe mode. Reboot and feed drivers, usually from C:
> >\windows\inf is sufficient as it was working before.
> >Ciao, Dave
> >

> Yep, I'll vote for that. Internal modems sort of provide their own com
> port.

An internal modem is a dedicated com port. It has on it the UART that is
used for separate com ports, usually a 16550. The installation process
requires that com port to be installed, then you tell your PC that the
modem is on that com port. With plug and play the only difference is that
the Bios will detect the modem and configure its com port automatically,
and then Windows will install it automatically, but Windows may only
detect and install the com port.