Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dual channel ram question

dual channel ram question

cowboyz

looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to hardOCP
website all is good but I noticed this

memory:

3 184 pin DIMM sockets
Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)

logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even number
of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
doesn't work.

I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy would
work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?

Rider

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0ohh4$mmj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to hardOCP
> website all is good but I noticed this
>
> memory:
>
> 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
> Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
> Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
>
> logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even number
> of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
> doesn't work.
>
> I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy

would
> work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?

Wouldnt 4 slots make it quadruple mode?

Rider

colinco

In article <c0ohh4$mmj$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even number
> of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
> doesn't work.

Sometimes you can run 3 slots with amount of ram in 2 slot channel = ram
in single slot channel, eg 2x512 + 1G. The more ram and the higher the
freq you run increases the Amps required.

cowboyz

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0oj4s$nlf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0ohh4$mmj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to

hardOCP
> > website all is good but I noticed this
> >
> > memory:
> >
> > 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
> > Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
> > Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
> >
> > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even

number
> > of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy

> would
> > work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?
> >

> Wouldnt 4 slots make it quadruple mode?
>
> Rider

Hmmmm. good point. that is just getting silly.

cowboyz

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <c0ohh4$mmj$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even

number
> > of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
> > doesn't work.
> >

> Sometimes you can run 3 slots with amount of ram in 2 slot channel = ram
> in single slot channel, eg 2x512 + 1G. The more ram and the higher the
> freq you run increases the Amps required.

What are you trying to say?

colinco

In article <c0oqpc$s27$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> What are you trying to say?

That you can use 3 slots in dual channel mode but some motherboards may
not supply enough power to the ram slots to a. run lots of ram or b. run
it fast without errors

cowboyz

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <c0oqpc$s27$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > What are you trying to say?
> >

> That you can use 3 slots in dual channel mode but some motherboards may
> not supply enough power to the ram slots to a. run lots of ram or b. run
> it fast without errors

oh I see now. but still limited to 2GB

Paradox

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0ohh4$mmj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to hardOCP
> website all is good but I noticed this
>
> memory:
>
> 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
> Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
> Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
>
> logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even number
> of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots. Instead 1 slot
> doesn't work.
>
> I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy

would
> work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running normally?

I have one of these boards. To activate dual channel you fill slot 3 (the
master channel) first, and you can then fill slot 1 or 2 or both.

Looking at the manual it seems you can run 3GB in dual mode, but your
HardOCP data suggests not if it's DDR400 RAM.

Rob

~misfit~

cowboyz wrote:
> looking at changing my board to a FRN-L (soltek) and according to
> hardOCP website all is good but I noticed this
>
> memory:
>
> 3 184 pin DIMM sockets
> Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (max 3GB)
> Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (max 2GB)
>
> logic would suggest that having dual channel would require and even
> number of slots to work. so I thought there would be 4 slots.
> Instead 1 slot doesn't work.
>
> I realise that getting up to 2-3GB RAM is kinda extreme but in theroy
> would work be faster. 2gb running in dual mode or 3GB running
> normally?

We have two of these boards and they're great. Well, SL-75FRN2-L's, I think
the FRN-L is pre-nForce 2 isn't it? QMB seems to be the cheapest for these
boards.

Slot 3 is one channel, slots 1 and 2 are the second channel.

It is my understanding that you can have any combination of module sizes.
Both channels don't have to be the same, so you could theoretically have 3GB
of RAM in dual-channel mode, I channel 1GB and the other 2GB.

I could be wrong, I haven't tried it, but that's my understanding of it. I
wish I had a spare module to try it out for you.

BTW, dual-channel is only about 5% faster in real-world applications anyway.
(Unless you have a board with on-board graphics that shares system RAM, not
the case here).
--
~misfit~

colinco

In article <JV1Yb.46141$(E-Mail Removed)>,
~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
> It is my understanding that you can have any combination of module sizes.
> Both channels don't have to be the same, so you could theoretically have 3GB
> of RAM in dual-channel mode, I channel 1GB and the other 2GB.

Assuming 3 1GB sticks you would have 2GB running ing dual mode and 1GB
running in single mode.

From nVidia
"Both of the memory controllers on DualDDR are functionally identical
with all control and timing parameters independently programmable. This
flexibility allows the users to populate up to three asymmetric DIMMs in
any organization, size and speed. DualDDR simply adjust to the lowest
common density that will facilitate 128-bit bandwidth,"