Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slide Scanner

Slide Scanner

John

Enjoying your hot summer?
year rite...
Has anyone scanned slides before?
Did you use a specilised slide scanner or some add on for a desktop
scanner?
I have my dads boxes of slides I wish to archive to CD
Cheer for the feedback
john
@myplace.co.nz

CollectorNZ

John wrote:

>Enjoying your hot summer?
>year rite...
>Has anyone scanned slides before?
>Did you use a specilised slide scanner or some add on for a desktop
>scanner?
>I have my dads boxes of slides I wish to archive to CD
>Cheer for the feedback
>john
>@myplace.co.nz

While the add on box for a standard sheet scanner works, the results are
not that great since they do not have suitable resolution levels to
allow you to blow up the resultantant image without losing clarity. The
results will be screen acceptable and only marginally print acceptable.

I have used both being lucky enough to have an associate who has a slide
and negative scanner. The result using the negative scanner set to slide
mode was miles better than the sheet scanner with adapter.

Dave Taylor

CollectorNZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:402ebb43
@news.orcon.net.nz:

> The result using the negative scanner set to slide
> mode was miles better than the sheet scanner with adapter.

Like CollectorNZ says, you should look into renting a motorized slide
scanner if you want a quality end result.
Ciao, Dave

L33T

John wrote:
> Enjoying your hot summer?
> year rite...
> Has anyone scanned slides before?
> Did you use a specilised slide scanner or some add on for a desktop
> scanner?
> I have my dads boxes of slides I wish to archive to CD

where do you live ? fastfinish photo , 38 wyndham st akl,
www.fastfinish.co.nz have a great scanner system.

they'll scan, put 3 versions of each slide onto cd - thumbnail, web size, hi
res - as well as auto colour correct, etc.

the old slides i've seen done have come out amazing. and worth the $$ if you
consider how long it would take you to do this to each individual slide. how
much is your time worth ?

steve

CollectorNZ wrote:

> I have used both being lucky enough to have an associate who has a slide
> and negative scanner. The result using the negative scanner set to slide
> mode was miles better than the sheet scanner with adapter.

Thanks....that sorts me out, too.

Malcolm

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:56:47 +1300, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Enjoying your hot summer?
>year rite...
>Has anyone scanned slides before?
>Did you use a specilised slide scanner or some add on for a desktop
>scanner?
>I have my dads boxes of slides I wish to archive to CD
>Cheer for the feedback
>john
>@myplace.co.nz

Hi John,

I purchased an Epson FilmScan 200 some years ago and whilst the
sofware is a bit basic, I have had good results with the scanner. I
had about 3000 slides to scan and if I had had them scanned
professionally it would have cost more than the scanner. Being (the
scanner) quite a few years old it uses a SCSI interface whereas the
latest Epson slide/film scanners use USB, and no doubt have better
software.

It will scan slides (mounted), slide film (umounted in strip form) and
colour negative film (again in strip form. It also has the ability to
mount some sort of bulk roll film magazine for 100 exposure or more
rolls but I have never seen or had a need for one. I purhased 2 extra
slide carriers so I could be loading up another whilst one is being
scanned. It came with 1 strip film and 1 slide carrier.

You will be doing well if you can avrage 3 slides a minute.

Malcolm
Wellington NZ

Remove the dot's to reply