Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives

Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives

Malcolm

Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?

The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).

They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
are still going after 6 ad 8 years.

I have replaced one with a Western Digital drive and are not inclined
to try another Fujitsu drive.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced poor MTBF with Fujitsu
drives?

Malcolm
Wellington NZ

Remove the dot's to reply

colinco

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
> higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?

Search around. Some Fuji drives had controller chips with faulty
encapsulation.

exposing the double standards of the 'elite'

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:41:58 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)
(Malcolm) wrote:

>Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
>higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?

TEX

Malcolm wrote:
> Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
> higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?
>
> The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
> weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
> this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).
>
> They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
> after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
> are still going after 6 ad 8 years.
>
> I have replaced one with a Western Digital drive and are not inclined
> to try another Fujitsu drive.
>
> I am curious if anyone else has experienced poor MTBF with Fujitsu
> drives?
>
> Malcolm
> Wellington NZ
>
> Remove the dot's to reply

They have a problem with thier firmware on some models the 20gb and 10gb
versions ring a bell. I issues I have come across were typically in
compaq machines, which were working fine for 2 years straight, till one
day it decided it wouldn't pickup the hdd in bios. Found a tech article
on the net in regards to firmware issue. Reflashed and most of them came
up sweet, and still running strong.

Ask Gavin Tunney (regualr poster here) about them, he will tell you
about his experiences.

TEX

Dave Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) (Malcolm) wrote in news:402da6c9.22709794
@NEWS.xtra.co.nz:

> Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
> higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?
>
> The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
> weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
> this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).
>
> They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
> after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
> are still going after 6 ad 8 years.
>
> I have replaced one with a Western Digital drive and are not inclined
> to try another Fujitsu drive.
>
> I am curious if anyone else has experienced poor MTBF with Fujitsu
> drives?
>
> Malcolm
> Wellington NZ
>
> Remove the dot's to reply

They may still be under warranty. There was a known issue and a firmware
update for some fujitsu drives.
Ciao, Dave

Enkidu

(Malcolm) wrote:

>Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
>higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?
>
>The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
>weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
>this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).
>
>They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
>after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
>are still going after 6 ad 8 years.
>
>I have replaced one with a Western Digital drive and are not inclined
>to try another Fujitsu drive.
>
>I am curious if anyone else has experienced poor MTBF with Fujitsu
>drives?

I had about 10 go in all. Those that remain seem to run fine, but I
won't get any more.

Cheers,

Cliff

ac

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
> higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?
>
> The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
> weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
> this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).
>
> They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
> after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
> are still going after 6 ad 8 years.
>
> I have replaced one with a Western Digital drive and are not inclined
> to try another Fujitsu drive.
>
> I am curious if anyone else has experienced poor MTBF with Fujitsu
> drives?

Er, Yep. Compaq was replacing them under a replacement program about 10
months ago. Many died where I worked.

Read about it here:

http://h30066.www3.hp.com/hddr/

Hmm, replacing them with Western Digital ...out of the frying pan..

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
> higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?
>
> The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
> weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
> this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).
>
> They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
> after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
> are still going after 6 ad 8 years.

Yes there was a well known spat of failures, which was on the electronics
I think from memory, not the hardware, around that time.

I remember reading Compaq tech support for all the problems they had,
there being various symptoms

Mainlander

> Malcolm wrote:
> > Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
> > higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
> > weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
> > this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).
> >
> > They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
> > after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
> > are still going after 6 ad 8 years.
> >
> > I have replaced one with a Western Digital drive and are not inclined
> > to try another Fujitsu drive.
> >
> > I am curious if anyone else has experienced poor MTBF with Fujitsu
> > drives?
> >
> > Malcolm
> > Wellington NZ
> >
> > Remove the dot's to reply

> They have a problem with thier firmware on some models the 20gb and 10gb
> versions ring a bell. I issues I have come across were typically in
> compaq machines, which were working fine for 2 years straight, till one
> day it decided it wouldn't pickup the hdd in bios. Found a tech article
> on the net in regards to firmware issue. Reflashed and most of them came
> up sweet, and still running strong.

Incidentally we had the same problem in a Compaq, turned out to be the
HDD power connector not plugged in properly

Rudy Seoa

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Has anyone had experience with Fujitsu Hard Disk Drives having a
> higher failure rate than other Manufacturers drives?
>
> The reason I ask is that I have just recently had two fail within
> weeks of one another, they were both made in the Philippines (not that
> this should initself be a reason for poor MTBF).
>
> They are both MPG3204AT (20Gb) drives manufactured in 2001, one failed
> after 3 years and the other after 2 years, I have other brands that
> are still going after 6 ad 8 years.
>
> I have replaced one with a Western Digital drive and are not inclined
> to try another Fujitsu drive.
>
> I am curious if anyone else has experienced poor MTBF with Fujitsu
> drives?

A lot of the MPG series had a faulty drive controller chip.

I had ~40 of these drives at work, all of them have failed. I now
consider any MPG series drive faulty, and to be replaced ASAP before it
dies.