Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Funny but true

Funny but true

Barry

Copied from the latest Langa's List.
Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group ask a
serious question and expect a respective reply.
Any how, enjoy it.
A lesson in Posting:

How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is
"lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light
bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation
of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take
this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and
lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs
and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to
buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this
technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this
group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all
headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
it all over again....

CollectorNZ

This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen
Barry wrote:
> Copied from the latest Langa's List.
> Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group ask a
> serious question and expect a respective reply.
> Any how, enjoy it.
> A lesson in Posting:
>
> How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb?
>
> 1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
> changed
>
> 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
> bulb could have been changed differently
>
> 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
>
> 27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
> bulbs
>
> 53 to flame the spell checkers
>
> 41 to correct spelling/grammar flames
>
> 6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...
>
> another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
>
> 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is
> "lamp"
>
> 15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light
> bulb" is perfectly correct
>
> 156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation
> of their "acceptable use policy"
>
> 109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take
> this discussion to a lightbulb group
>
> 203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and
> lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped
>
> 111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs
> and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group
>
> 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to
> buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this
> technique and what brands are faulty
>
> 27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
>
> 14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
> corrected URL's
>
> 3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this
> group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
>
> 33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all
> headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
>
> 12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
> handle the light bulb controversy
>
> 19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"
>
> 4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ
>
> 44 to ask what is a "FAQ"
>
> 4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
>
> 143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
> about light bulbs"
>
> 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
> it all over again....

JJD

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:26:39 +1300, CollectorNZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

That should be nz.gen

JJD

>Barry wrote:
>> Copied from the latest Langa's List.
>> Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group ask a
>> serious question and expect a respective reply.
>> Any how, enjoy it.
>> A lesson in Posting:

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CollectorNZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

Let's see...

This copy
<http://www.oclug.on.ca/pipermail/oclug/2003-September/033979.html> is
from September, and has some amusing addenda from the respondent.

This copy
<http://pub227.ezboard.com/ftheparent...sage?topicID=1
3.topic> is from July.

This one <http://amused.the-i.org/lightbulb> is from August.

This one <http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum19/196.htm> is from
December 2000! (It even uses the name "DejaNews" instead of "Google").

This one <http://www.network-operations.freeserve.co.uk/lightbulb/> seem
sto have a 2002 date on it.

And that was just from the first couple of pages of Google matches.

CollectorNZ

JJD wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:26:39 +1300, CollectorNZ
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

> That should be nz.gen
>
> JJD
>

>>Barry wrote:
>>
>>>Copied from the latest Langa's List.
>>>Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group ask a
>>>serious question and expect a respective reply.
>>>Any how, enjoy it.
>>> A lesson in Posting:

ped·ant
n.

1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

BTMO

"CollectorNZ" <> wrote

> ped·ant
> n.
>
> 1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
> 2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
> 3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

I like to call such people "pendants". You can almost hear them foam up...

Cheers,

Brenton

Craig Shore

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:06:13 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> CollectorNZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

>Let's see...
>
>This copy
><http://www.oclug.on.ca/pipermail/oclug/2003-September/033979.html> is
>from September, and has some amusing addenda from the respondent.
>
>This copy
><http://pub227.ezboard.com/ftheparent...sage?topicID=1
>3.topic> is from July.
>
>This one <http://amused.the-i.org/lightbulb> is from August.
>
>This one <http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum19/196.htm> is from
>December 2000! (It even uses the name "DejaNews" instead of "Google").
>
>This one <http://www.network-operations.freeserve.co.uk/lightbulb/> seem
>sto have a 2002 date on it.
>
>And that was just from the first couple of pages of Google matches.

Me too

CollectorNZ

BTMO wrote:

> "CollectorNZ" <> wrote
>

>>ped·ant
>>n.
>>
>> 1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
>> 2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
>> 3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

> I like to call such people "pendants". You can almost hear them foam up...
>

> Cheers,
>
> Brenton

I like it but feel it credits some posters with enough sense to know the
difference and they have mostly proved they do not have that sense.

Gib Bogle

CollectorNZ wrote:
> JJD wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:26:39 +1300, CollectorNZ
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

>> That should be nz.gen
>>
>> JJD

> ped·ant
> n.
>
> 1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
> 2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
> 3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

You seem not to understand your own joke.

Gib

BTMO

"CollectorNZ" <> wrote

> I like it but feel it credits some posters with enough sense to know the
> difference and they have mostly proved they do not have that sense.

Good point!

Cheers,

brenton