Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Half-Life GOTY "Team Fortress" Edition on Linux

Half-Life GOTY "Team Fortress" Edition on Linux

steve

Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
Linux User Group meeting.

AMD Athlon 2800+ / 512MB / Xandros Linux 2.0

Half-Life installed fine and ran perfectly.

WineX is a DirectX emulation that allows 3D-accelerated Windows games to run
on Linux.

www.transgaming.com

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
> Linux User Group meeting.

It has run just fine under plain old Wine for quite some time... I was
using it ~July 2001

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Jackson

newsEzWb.23588$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
> Linux User Group meeting.
>
> AMD Athlon 2800+ / 512MB / Xandros Linux 2.0
>
> Half-Life installed fine and ran perfectly.

I had halflife running fine with TFC on my old 700mhz AMD about 4 years ago
using Windows. Try running Battlefield 1942 with all graphic options up full
on your emulator and then i'll listen to your drivel.

Until then, im not impressed.

Jackson

steve

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:19:34 +1300, steve wrote:
>

>> Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
>> Linux User Group meeting.

> Did Woger show up and start rabbiting on about his fetish for
> teenagers and playstations?

He was a no-show.....as you would expect.

steve

Jackson wrote:

> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsEzWb.23588$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Works perfectly with WineX 3.2.1 - We tried it last night at the Kapiti
>> Linux User Group meeting.
>>
>> AMD Athlon 2800+ / 512MB / Xandros Linux 2.0
>>
>> Half-Life installed fine and ran perfectly.

> I had halflife running fine with TFC on my old 700mhz AMD about 4 years
> ago using Windows. Try running Battlefield 1942 with all graphic options
> up full on your emulator and then i'll listen to your drivel.
>
> Until then, im not impressed.
>
> Jackson

It isn't an "emulator". It directly translates Windows calls into Linux
calls.

Sure...it won't be as fast as native Windows. But for most games out there,
they were written for hardware that is 2-3 or more years old now. On a
reasonable PC today, running Linux, they can run as well or better than
they did on the recommended platform when they were released.

For example...Half-Life could be not be any smoother or faster.

The point of my posts is a very simple one:

IF *your* favourite game has been keeping you shackled to Windows.....You
may not have to stay that way.

Battlefield 1942 is one of the games that works well for some players....and
not so well for others....depending on thier hardware. But that is true of
Windows, too.

As for the game I'd never heard of it until recently.

Uncle StoatWarbler