Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows update struggling?

Windows update struggling?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

I've been trying to grab some updates for some older machines that
havent been online for a while, and I keep running into this.

www.dave.net.nz/images/winupd.jpg 106k and the only way around it seems
to be to close down IE, and try again.
--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Jed Meisterdude

I just loaded the latest 3 critical fixes no probs...but it was only 80c
worth of data (4mb) via an overcapped jetstream 1000 account.

I wonder if the download cost is redeemable from Microsoft due to xp being a
defective product.

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0bsui$1514br$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I've been trying to grab some updates for some older machines that
> havent been online for a while, and I keep running into this.
>
> www.dave.net.nz/images/winupd.jpg 106k and the only way around it seems
> to be to close down IE, and try again.
> --
> Dave Hall
> http://Dave.net.nz
> We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Jed Meisterdude wrote:
> I just loaded the latest 3 critical fixes no probs...but it was only 80c
> worth of data (4mb) via an overcapped jetstream 1000 account.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14051 seems to suggest that they're
having "issues"

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

XPD

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0bsui$1514br$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I've been trying to grab some updates for some older machines that
> havent been online for a while, and I keep running into this.
>
> www.dave.net.nz/images/winupd.jpg 106k and the only way around it seems
> to be to close down IE, and try again.

I had issues yesterday updating my Win98 laptop from there.... was getting
errors along the lines of "Your time/date is incorrect, please correct i
and try again".
Time and date were fine... tried again this morning and went thru fine.

harry

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> I've been trying to grab some updates for some older machines that
> havent been online for a while, and I keep running into this.
>
> www.dave.net.nz/images/winupd.jpg 106k and the only way around it
> seems to be to close down IE, and try again.

It happens.
There is a download page you can use instead of Windows Update

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

harry wrote:
>>I've been trying to grab some updates for some older machines that
>>havent been online for a while, and I keep running into this.
>>www.dave.net.nz/images/winupd.jpg 106k and the only way around it
>>seems to be to close down IE, and try again.

> It happens.
> There is a download page you can use instead of Windows Update

yeah I know... initially I thought it might be just me, but then I found
others with the same, I suppose a DOS would do that

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

harry

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> harry wrote:
>>> I've been trying to grab some updates for some older machines that
>>> havent been online for a while, and I keep running into this.
>>> www.dave.net.nz/images/winupd.jpg 106k and the only way around it
>>> seems to be to close down IE, and try again.

>> It happens.
>> There is a download page you can use instead of Windows Update

> yeah I know... initially I thought it might be just me, but then I
> found others with the same, I suppose a DOS would do that

The BBC World Channel was carrying a lead news item saying that MS advised
all XP 2k NT users to update ASAP, so that might put some extra load on
Windows Update