Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB Question

USB Question

Richard Holmes

Hi,

Got a question on USB.

Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
Home Compaq.

So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).

However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year old
XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.

"A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub ....."

And then ends with a recommedation:

"The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
performance"

Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

TIA.

RH

Dave Taylor

Richard Holmes <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote in
news:Xns948C6542482BErichardhixnetnz@203.97.97.132 :

> Hi,
>
> Got a question on USB.
>
> Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
> asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
> Home Compaq.
>
> So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
> drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
> all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
> speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).
>
> However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year

old
> XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.
>
> "A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub

......"

> And then ends with a recommedation:
>
> "The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
> add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
> performance"
>
> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....
>
> TIA.
>
> RH

Well, it sounds to me like you DO NOT have a USB 2.0 port on your laptop.
The system spec page at Compaq should be able to tell you. Have a look
there. It may just be a simple driver issue, but I doubt it. It is
unlikely that a laptop of that age would have a USB 2.0 controller built
into it. An option could be to purchase a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card.

Ciao, Dave

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Richard Holmes wrote:
> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Ripping Silk

USB 2.0 will not be enabled unless you upgrade to SP1 for Windows XP.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Richard Holmes wrote:
>
>> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

> no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

Robin Wheeler

On 11 Feb 2004 09:57:13 +1300, Richard Holmes <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Got a question on USB.
>
>Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
>asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
>Home Compaq.
>
>So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
>drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
>all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
>speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).
>
>However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year old
>XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.
>
>"A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub ....."
>
>And then ends with a recommedation:
>
>"The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
>add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
>performance"
>
>Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....
>
>TIA.
>
>RH

It just runs at 1.1 Speed, so you don't have a problem.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Ripping Silk wrote:
>>> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

>> no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

> USB 2.0 will not be enabled unless you upgrade to SP1 for Windows XP.

although you are correct, it shouldn't pick up the USB hardware at all
unless he has installed drivers for the USB hub.

If it has somehow picked it up as a standard USB 1.1 hub, then thats
just plain odd, and would be the first time I've ever seen that.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Richard Holmes

Ripping Silk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c0bkol$uvq$2
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> USB 2.0 will not be enabled unless you upgrade to SP1 for Windows XP.
>
> T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Richard Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

>> no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

I've always accepted all of the automatic updates to XP Pro form MS, that
should be equivalent to SP1 should it not.

RH

Ripping Silk

> I've always accepted all of the automatic updates to XP Pro form MS, that
> should be equivalent to SP1 should it not.
>
> RH

You'd think so, yes, but I'm not so sure. if you try and look for a
separate USB 2.0 driver for XP, you'll find it.. difficult.. (I found it
impossible).
All of the literature I read say you need SP1.

Ripping Silk

I think it would pick up the hardware OK .. just revert to USB 1.1 speed.
Although that it recognises i5t as a 'High Speed USB' device is weird,
but having said that.. the 'type' of hardware is probably on firmware on
the USB device and XP is just reading what it is, like you see what type
of graphics card you have in BIOS before installing drivers.

Of course the other option is to go into device manager, look for the
USB ports and if you see a yellow mark with a black cross on the 'USB
2.0 hub', you need the drivers (ie SP1).

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> no, and no need for a fix... it'll just be slow.

> > USB 2.0 will not be enabled unless you upgrade to SP1 for Windows XP.

> although you are correct, it shouldn't pick up the USB hardware at all
> unless he has installed drivers for the USB hub.
>
> If it has somehow picked it up as a standard USB 1.1 hub, then thats
> just plain odd, and would be the first time I've ever seen that.

Mainlander

In article <Xns948C6542482BErichardhixnetnz@203.97.97.132>, Richard
Holmes <richardh(at)ix(dot)net(dot)nz> says...
> Hi,
>
> Got a question on USB.
>
> Last week the MIL's husband brought himself a new Compaq laptop. He
> asked me to transfer his data from his old Win 98 Toshiba to the new XP
> Home Compaq.
>
> So, I went out and brought a 256 MB USB memory stick, installed the
> drivers on the Win98 machine and transferred said data no problems at
> all. Only thing I noticed was the staggering differntial in transfer
> speed between USB 1.1 and 2.0 (7 minutes versus 45 seconds).
>
> However, when I plug the memory stick into my own not quite two year old
> XP Pro Compaq laptop I get the following messages.
>
> "A HIGH SPEED USB device is plugged into a NON HIGH SPEED USB hub ....."
>
> And then ends with a recommedation:
>
> "The USB Mass Storage device will function at reduced speed. You must
> add a HI-SPEED USB host controller to this computer to obtain maximum
> performance"
>
> Do I panic or is there a simple fix to this .....

It means the USB ports on your compaq are only 1.x