Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Newsreader

Newsreader

SomebodyElse

I've been using PAN for a while. Although it's much better than Outlook
Express (goes without saying), and I do rather like it, it still doesn't
do some of the things I'd like it to do... (maybe it does and I just can't
find out how to do it...)

I don't keep track of many newsgroups - about 8 max and usually not more
than about 4.

I want to be able to ignore threads, and not have them reappear after a
month (or whatever the 'timeout' is set to) with every message marked as
'unread'

I want unread threads/messages to stay marked as unread, even if I reload
new messages, or close the program and come back to it later. (Pan seems
to - as it is on my computer - put new messages in boldface, but others
that are not 'new', just unread, in plain black 'unbold')

I want to be able to easily mark and filter threads I want to follow, and
be able to ignore subthreads from a particular post (but be able to view
others) ((if that makes sense)) easily.

I'm not too worried about a killfile, I think this (previous point) is
much more useful than a killfile.

I don't need multiple personalities. I only post as this one.

I'm sure I have a couple of other requirements (preferences) but I can't
think of them right now.

As I've said I'm currently using PAN. It doesn't quite cut the mustard -
and if it does I can't figure it out. Outlook Express is just a joke, and
I haven't tried (and am not going to try) Outlook. I use Mozilla
Thunderbird for Email - I've never used it for newsgroups because I've not
thought it'd be any good. If somebody can tell me different I'll give
it a go.

I've tried Agent (free edition), every now and then for years. I must say
there's been nothing that stands out as being great - certainly nothing
I'd wanna pay for. Maybe I'm missing something....

40tude Dialog I gave a go a few months back (probably quite a few months
back) and it seemed very good but VERY UNSTABLE on my system (WinXP pro).
Maybe it's more stable now...?

I've also (tried) to look at Gravity, (as recommended in Mainlander's
sig) which I think I might have looked at before, but now the link is
'down for maintenance'. Are there many people using this? Is it good?

I don't mind paying for a good program. But I do want to be able to try it
out first though without shelling out my dosh.

Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
imagine they're very unique).

- Scott

SteveM

SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):
> joke, and I haven't tried (and am not goi
>
> I don't mind paying for a good program. But I do want to be able to
> try it out first though without shelling out my dosh.
>
> Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
> imagine they're very unique).
>
> - Scott

XNEWS!!! http://xnews.newsguy.com/

SteveM

SomebodyElse

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:04:52 +0000, SteveM wrote:

> XNEWS!!! http://xnews.newsguy.com/
>
> SteveM

Yeah, I've looked at that before, but can't remember anything about it.
I'd better have another look.

Thanks
Scott

Brendan

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, SomebodyElse wrote:

> 40tude Dialog I gave a go a few months back (probably quite a few months
> back) and it seemed very good but VERY UNSTABLE on my system (WinXP pro).
> Maybe it's more stable now...?

Newer version seems a bit more stable. And it does the 'ignore subthread'
thing.

--

.... Brendan

"Any body of men who believe in hell will persecute whenever they have the power." -- Joseph M. McCabe

Note: All comments are copyright 10/02/2004 11:59:25 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my reccollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Kookaburra

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:14:44 +1300, SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:04:52 +0000, SteveM wrote:
>>>

>> XNEWS!!! http://xnews.newsguy.com/
>>
>> SteveM

>Yeah, I've looked at that before, but can't remember anything about it.
>I'd better have another look.

There are XP Icon Patchers for all versions here

http://xnews-icon-patchers.bebto.com/patcher.html

Cheers, Kooky

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, SomebodyElse wrote:

> I want to be able to ignore threads, and not have them reappear after a
> month (or whatever the 'timeout' is set to) with every message marked as
> 'unread'

Pan does this already. what version are you running?

> I want unread threads/messages to stay marked as unread, even if I reload
> new messages, or close the program and come back to it later. (Pan seems
> to - as it is on my computer - put new messages in boldface, but others
> that are not 'new', just unread, in plain black 'unbold')

They're still unread. What you have is "unread old" and "new"

Look at the little envelopes for the read status.

The Other Guy

"SomebodyElse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've been using PAN for a while. Although it's much better than Outlook
> Express (goes without saying), and I do rather like it, it still doesn't
> do some of the things I'd like it to do... (maybe it does and I just can't
> find out how to do it...)

The problem I had with PAN when I tried it was the same as all the other
free clients (Outlook Express excluded). The time taken to load the database
of messages and sort them was painfully slow. I keep a large archive of old
messages, being able to load 250,000 messages in a few seconds is essential.

KNode also had the same problem.

> As I've said I'm currently using PAN. It doesn't quite cut the mustard -
> and if it does I can't figure it out. Outlook Express is just a joke, and
> I haven't tried (and am not going to try) Outlook. I use Mozilla
> Thunderbird for Email - I've never used it for newsgroups because I've not
> thought it'd be any good. If somebody can tell me different I'll give
> it a go.

Thunderbird is good, even for a beta. I use it for IMAP and POP, without any
major problems. I don't use it for Newgroups, I still prefer OE for speed,
and it works the way I like. I don't killfile, and I am capable of ignoring
things I'm not interested in by simply not expanding the thread and reading
it.

Outlook doesn't have built in news reading abilities, it just uses Outlook
Express for news.

The Other Guy

steve

SomebodyElse wrote:

> Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
> imagine they're very unique).
>
> -*Scott

Tried Knode?

If I right-click on any threead, I can ignore it.
Kill-filing amounts to setting scores...and then defining actions.

I especially like the functions where you select text with my mouse, then
just reply to the post and only the selected text is included in the
response. Maybe PAN works that way, too.

Or just select the text and clicking the middle (of 3) mouse buttons
automatically cuts and pastes it to the new location. I know that is an X
windows function.....but when I do have to use Windows, it really annoys me
that I don't have the ability to do that.

harry

steve wrote:
> SomebodyElse wrote:
>

>> Any suggestions? Is there anything that will suit my needs (I don't
>> imagine they're very unique).
>>
>> - Scott

> Tried Knode?
>
> If I right-click on any threead, I can ignore it.
> Kill-filing amounts to setting scores...and then defining actions.
>
> I especially like the functions where you select text with my mouse,
> then just reply to the post and only the selected text is included in
> the response. Maybe PAN works that way, too.

Yes
The message editor in Pan is pretty buggy though, big chunks of text can
disappear when you cut and paste.

Mainlander

> I've been using PAN for a while. Although it's much better than Outlook
> Express (goes without saying), and I do rather like it, it still doesn't
> do some of the things I'd like it to do... (maybe it does and I just can't
> find out how to do it...)
>
> I don't keep track of many newsgroups - about 8 max and usually not more
> than about 4.
>
> I want to be able to ignore threads, and not have them reappear after a
> month (or whatever the 'timeout' is set to) with every message marked as
> 'unread'
>
> I want unread threads/messages to stay marked as unread, even if I reload
> new messages, or close the program and come back to it later. (Pan seems
> to - as it is on my computer - put new messages in boldface, but others
> that are not 'new', just unread, in plain black 'unbold')
>
> I want to be able to easily mark and filter threads I want to follow, and
> be able to ignore subthreads from a particular post (but be able to view
> others) ((if that makes sense)) easily.
>
> I'm not too worried about a killfile, I think this (previous point) is
> much more useful than a killfile.
>
> I don't need multiple personalities. I only post as this one.
>
> I'm sure I have a couple of other requirements (preferences) but I can't
> think of them right now.
>
> As I've said I'm currently using PAN. It doesn't quite cut the mustard -
> and if it does I can't figure it out. Outlook Express is just a joke, and
> I haven't tried (and am not going to try) Outlook. I use Mozilla
> Thunderbird for Email - I've never used it for newsgroups because I've not
> thought it'd be any good. If somebody can tell me different I'll give
> it a go.
>
> I've tried Agent (free edition), every now and then for years. I must say
> there's been nothing that stands out as being great - certainly nothing
> I'd wanna pay for. Maybe I'm missing something....
>
> 40tude Dialog I gave a go a few months back (probably quite a few months
> back) and it seemed very good but VERY UNSTABLE on my system (WinXP pro).
> Maybe it's more stable now...?
>
> I've also (tried) to look at Gravity, (as recommended in Mainlander's
> sig) which I think I might have looked at before, but now the link is
> 'down for maintenance'. Are there many people using this? Is it good?

Sf.net has regular maintenance, it should be up again by now.