Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best approach to upgrading a PC?

Best approach to upgrading a PC?

Rats

I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing. This
isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately the
mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on my
comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a real
hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid this
but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

Rupert

it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the new
system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't say that
it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new hardware and
install drivers as needed

"Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing. This
> isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately

the
> mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on my
> comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a real
> hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid

this
> but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

E. Scrooge

"Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing. This
> isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately

the
> mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on my
> comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a real
> hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid

this
> but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

I wonder how you'd get on if your old Hard Drive was stuffed into a new PC
making it the main "C" drive instead of what's in it. The new HD could the
second mainly storage one.

E. Scrooge

Dave Taylor

"Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.
> This isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that.
> Unfortunately the mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of
> stuff installed on my comp (both software and hardware under win xp)
> and its going to be a real hassle to install it all again on a new
> computer. I would like to avoid this but I can't see too many options
> ... unless YOU can think of one.

Take a look into using the Sysprep tool. System Preparation Tool.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...t/prbc_cai_vnv
e.asp

Unwrap the URL or google.
You could also just try a drive imaging tool, without sysprepping first,
it might work, and if not you now have a good backup.

What about the migration tool that comes with XP?
How about
Aloha bob in combo with file and transfer wizard in XP?
See also
for a write up on a move, because the FAST tool has lots of gotchas.

Ciao, Dave

Muzz

"Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c093m1$4df$(E-Mail Removed)...
> it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the new
> system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't say that
> it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new hardware and
> install drivers as needed
>
> "Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.

This
> > isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately

> the
> > mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on

my
> > comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a

real
> > hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid

> this
> > but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

I did just as Rupert suggested, putting the drive into my upgraded system,
but there was too much hardware change - I'd changed from an Intel PIII cpu
to an AMD Athlon, Intel BX chipset M/board to an nForce2, so it didn't
really surprise me.

I booted off the XP CD, and reinstalled over the top of the existing XP
install. Effectively it picked up the new hardware and freshened WinXP, but
didn't knobble the existing installed applications which are all working
fine.

Mainlander

In article <c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing. This
> isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that. Unfortunately the
> mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed on my
> comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a real
> hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to avoid this
> but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.

What happens if you take your HDD out of the old machine, put it into the
new one, and turn it on?

It'll probably come up with a few messages about different hardware that
it's detected and carry on working.

You may get activation wizard messages - The office XP activation wizard
is pretty easy to deal with - I don't know how XP activation handles it.

This is no different really to using Ghost to image your PC and then
installing that image on another computer - something that corporate
sysadmins do all the time.

Vogan

"Muzz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c09e6p$e6a$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c093m1$4df$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the new
> > system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't say

that
> > it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new hardware and
> > install drivers as needed
> >
> > "Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.

> This
> > > isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that.

Unfortunately
> > the
> > > mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot of stuff installed

on
> my
> > > comp (both software and hardware under win xp) and its going to be a

> real
> > > hassle to install it all again on a new computer. I would like to

avoid
> > this
> > > but I can't see too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.
> > >

> I did just as Rupert suggested, putting the drive into my upgraded system,
> but there was too much hardware change - I'd changed from an Intel PIII

cpu
> to an AMD Athlon, Intel BX chipset M/board to an nForce2, so it didn't
> really surprise me.
>
> I booted off the XP CD, and reinstalled over the top of the existing XP
> install. Effectively it picked up the new hardware and freshened WinXP,

but
> didn't knobble the existing installed applications which are all working
> fine.

I agree with Muzz, I have done this before when upgrading without any
problems

Cheers
Vaughan

MarkH

Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz:

> In article <c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video editing.
>> This isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like that.
>> Unfortunately the mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have a lot
>> of stuff installed on my comp (both software and hardware under win
>> xp) and its going to be a real hassle to install it all again on a
>> new computer. I would like to avoid this but I can't see too many
>> options ... unless YOU can think of one.

> What happens if you take your HDD out of the old machine, put it into
> the new one, and turn it on?
>
> It'll probably come up with a few messages about different hardware
> that it's detected and carry on working.

It will not boot to Windows XP!

There will be a blue screen with a message about the boot device not found.
(Due to the different HDD controller on the new motherboard)

Easily fixed though, you just run the WinXP install, and choose the option
to repair the current installation, WinXP should keep all software installs
intact. However I have seen this not work, sometimes the WinXP install
doesn’t offer to repair the existing install, a fresh install will involve
a lot more work.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

~misfit~

Muzz wrote:
> "Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c093m1$4df$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> it's pretty ugly, but you can just connect the existing hdd to the
>> new system and let it have a fit with all the new hardware - I can't
>> say that it's the best solution but Windows will detect all the new
>> hardware and install drivers as needed
>>
>> "Rats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:c0927o$14u27f$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>> I have a celeron 850 machine that I've been using for video
>>> editing. This isn't fast enough for rendering DVDs and stuff like
>>> that. Unfortunately the mb only supports a max of 1ghz chip. I have
>>> a lot of stuff installed on my comp (both software and hardware
>>> under win xp) and its going to be a real hassle to install it all
>>> again on a new computer. I would like to avoid this but I can't see
>>> too many options ... unless YOU can think of one.
>>>

> I did just as Rupert suggested, putting the drive into my upgraded
> system, but there was too much hardware change - I'd changed from an
> Intel PIII cpu to an AMD Athlon, Intel BX chipset M/board to an
> nForce2, so it didn't really surprise me.
>
> I booted off the XP CD, and reinstalled over the top of the existing
> XP install. Effectively it picked up the new hardware and freshened
> WinXP, but didn't knobble the existing installed applications which
> are all working fine.

That's interesting. When I did that I lost all my apps from the start menu.
They were still on the HDD but not the Start menu or the registry.
--
~misfit~