Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Flaws in most DVD Drives..

Flaws in most DVD Drives..

Robin Wheeler

Seems like most DVD Drives can't read Valid Data and report it as a Flaw..

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...sel/index.html

Seems from this article that most drives need a Firmware update, as some 2/3
of drives failed.

L33T

good heavens woger, your posts have almost turn coherent today ! what's up,
new medication ?

> Seems like most DVD Drives can't read Valid Data and report it as a
> Flaw..

Chris

Robin Wheeler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Seems like most DVD Drives can't read Valid Data and report it as a
> Flaw..
>

> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...sel/index.html
>

> Seems from this article that most drives need a Firmware update, as
> some 2/3 of drives failed.

Have you tested this yourself, if not shut up..

--
Chris

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:25:13 +1300, Robin Wheeler
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Seems like most DVD Drives can't read Valid Data and report it as a Flaw..
>

>http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...sel/index.html
>

>Seems from this article that most drives need a Firmware update, as some 2/3
>of drives failed.

Another Woger alias? I must be hanging out here too long - I spotted
this one just from the subject line.

Peter S

"Robin Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Seems like most DVD Drives can't read Valid Data and report it as a

Flaw..

> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...sel/index.html
>

> Seems from this article that most drives need a Firmware update, as some

2/3
> of drives failed.

Quite interesting.. Seems to me that this could be used in a form of
protection scheme.

For instance, I've often wondered if a certain pattern of bytes in an MP3
file would render it unplayable, and whether recording a song that produced
this set of bytes when digitised would be feasible.

I'd thought such things were ironed out long ago or the algorithms were
solid enough, but obviously not.

Pete.