Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > windoze xp pro

windoze xp pro

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Max Burke wrote:
>>If you believe Micro$oft then you'd have to say he doesn't own the
>>software - that he only owns the media upon which it is stored.

> Tell me Lennier, do you OWN the code of the OS you're running? Is that what
> the GPL does? Give YOU PERSONALLY ownership ot the code in the Linux OS
> you're running?
> Or is it just a *licence* for you to use it.......

Dont ask him that, or he'll say that he has the copyright to it as he
has the right to copy it...

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Lennier

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:19:15 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

>> Lennier scribbled:
>> If you believe Micro$oft then you'd have to say he doesn't own the
>> software - that he only owns the media upon which it is stored.

> Tell me Lennier, do you OWN the code of the OS you're running? Is that
> what the GPL does? Give YOU PERSONALLY ownership ot the code in the Linux
> OS you're running?
>
> Or is it just a *licence* for you to use it.

Actually, if I wanted to, and if I was able to make use of it, I could
take the source code, adapt it for something else, or add something else
into it, and behold - software created by me, based on that original
source code. I personally would own the intellectual property rights
pertaining to the new code, which would have to be released under the GPL
if I was to distribute the binaries for some purpose or other.

I personally do not own the GPL'd source code - but am free to use and
adapt it as per the terms of the GNU general public licence, and to
install the binaries on as many computers as I please, without restriction.

Lennier

--
Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

EAgle

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:54:54 +1300, "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:vRxVb.21772$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >usedproduct

under
> >the

or
> >run

> >sure
> >>
> >> Waste of time calling them.

> >> Get the XP activation crack.
> >>
> >> Kazaa.

> >Why would he want to do something illegal if hes already got a legal

copy?

> >Activating it again (over the net for eg) shouldn't be a problem.
> >

> Because it's not a legal copy. You can't legally buy MS software from
> someone else. As I recall, they don't sell you the software, just the
> right to use it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
> --
>
> I think that Don Brash is a Labour mole.
> That would explain everything.

Well ofcourse.. but you can sell the right to use it to another party
provided you stop using it. Go look it up, if you still dont believe it go
give them a ring.

Mainlander

In article <40269958$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct ?
> ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
> first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
> the thing.

The OEM license terms (if it is an OEM product) are quite clear: it can't
be installed on another machine.

If you have an OEM license it cannot legally be sold independently f the
PC it was sold with.

Mainlander

In article <vRxVb.21772$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Nick wrote:
>
> > can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct
> > ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
> > first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
> > the thing.
> >
> > I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not sure
> > what he was on about to be honest

> Waste of time calling them.
>
> > thanks

> Get the XP activation crack.

Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

WeeWillyWonka

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:39:36 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>In article <vRxVb.21772$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Get the XP activation crack.

>Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

I'm with Steve on this one. Microsoft has used up all their moral
credits with their outrageous monopolistic and truth-fudging
behaviour. We owe them no consideration.

willy

Daniel Silva

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> steve wrote:

> > Get the XP activation crack.

> Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

What a curious statement from an AT&T employee.

harry

Daniel Silva wrote:
> "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
>> steve wrote:

>>> Get the XP activation crack.

>> Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

> What a curious statement from an AT&T employee.

Why not activate it yourself if you paid for it ?
Thats what volume licensing customers do.
Product activation is intended to stop unauthorised users who don't know how
to circumvent it, not authorised users who do.

Nathan Mercer

"harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7zMVb.22119$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why not activate it yourself if you paid for it ?
> Thats what volume licensing customers do.
> Product activation is intended to stop unauthorised users who don't know
> how
> to circumvent it, not authorised users who do.

Volume Licensing media for Windows XP (Pro & Tablet PC) doesn't have product
activation

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:39:36 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

> In article <vRxVb.21772$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Nick wrote:
>>
>>> can anyone remind of the process of activating windoze xp as a usedproduct
>>> ? ie; second hand. If you buy the used product already activated under the
>>> first owners name, can you a new user use it ? Send a fax to MS ? or run
>>> the thing.
>>>
>>> I called ms nz but the guy I spoke to seemed a bit dopy. And Im not sure
>>> what he was on about to be honest

>> Waste of time calling them.
>>
>>> thanks

>> Get the XP activation crack.

> Immoral lot these greenies, eh?

No more immoral than those who falsely accuse others of killing small
girls.

You have no claim to any moral high ground.

--
No regards,
Nicolaas