Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Q: Dialers Trojans and dial up password

Q: Dialers Trojans and dial up password

Mainlander

> "Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed) - wont work anyway > wrote in
> message newsjw6vmfmpkxs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:39:52 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
> >

> > > Just get rid of IE and install Mozilla. Problem solved.

> > i use IE and have yet to have a dialler installed on my box
> >

> Me too. It's likely that some users are often a danger to themselves. Choice
> of web browser is a non-issue.

MSIE is far far far far far far more likely to be compromised because
it's complete crap.

Peter Huebner

says...

> "Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed) - wont work anyway > wrote in
> message newsjw6vmfmpkxs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:39:52 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
> >

> > > Just get rid of IE and install Mozilla. Problem solved.

> > i use IE and have yet to have a dialler installed on my box
> >

> Me too. It's likely that some users are often a danger to themselves. Choice
> of web browser is a non-issue.

LOL. I had, the first time I installed XP back in '02, a dialler
installed before I even managed to fire up a browser. That is, I
recognized what was going on and pulled the plug before the installation
was complete. But the files and the install traces were there to track
down.

It was an exploit, dunno of what loophole, at the time. I just went
online to see if the connection was configured right and before
installing firewall etc. (big mistake, obviously). I.i.r.c. I did post a
bout it in this forum also at the time.

If you guys haven't been hit, maybe you just got lucky, or your firewall
is good

-Peter

~misfit~

Lebowski wrote:
> "Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed) - wont work anyway > wrote in
> message newsjw6vmfmpkxs$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:39:52 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
>>

>>> Just get rid of IE and install Mozilla. Problem solved.

>> i use IE and have yet to have a dialler installed on my box
>>

> Me too. It's likely that some users are often a danger to themselves.
> Choice of web browser is a non-issue.

I use IE and have had a couple of dialers (Spybot or Adaware found 'em)
after I let a mate use my machine. He was looking for a crack for a proggy.
Dailers don't bother me though, I connect through another machine on my LAN,
no modem in this machine.
--
~misfit~