Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Q: Dialers Trojans and dial up password

Q: Dialers Trojans and dial up password

Mainlander

In article <riw868gys2i1$.1e1jki038s4vw$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi
> Has anyone any experience with Dialers changing the dial up password?
>
> I have cleaned a friends mothers machine up, seems the dial up account has
> changed password in the last 24 hours. An updated AVG found and healed 3
> dialers and two trojans. Wondering if the two events are related.

It would be very easy for one of these programs to intercept your
password and pass it back to a malicious attacker.

Mainlander

In article <riw868gys2i1$.1e1jki038s4vw$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi
> Has anyone any experience with Dialers changing the dial up password?
>
> I have cleaned a friends mothers machine up, seems the dial up account has
> changed password in the last 24 hours. An updated AVG found and healed 3
> dialers and two trojans. Wondering if the two events are related.

What kind of web sites were they visiting that would install diallers?

Col

--
*Col*

And Moses looked upon the Lord and said: "We are your
chosen people and you want us to cut the tips off our
WHAT?!!!"

Col

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:23:04 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>In article <riw868gys2i1$.1e1jki038s4vw$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi
>> Has anyone any experience with Dialers changing the dial up password?
>>
>> I have cleaned a friends mothers machine up, seems the dial up account has
>> changed password in the last 24 hours. An updated AVG found and healed 3
>> dialers and two trojans. Wondering if the two events are related.

>It would be very easy for one of these programs to intercept your
>password and pass it back to a malicious attacker.

Often those dialers ring leitchenstein . ou see a charge on your Phone bill
"Leitchenstein Modem" They turn off the sound and dial out on your phone line is
you modem is turned on and you are not on the net and take over your phone line
for international calls. my son had one on his system and I had to pay 168
bucks to Telecom . I now have a toll bar and pin number on the phone line (at
Telecom's suggestion)
--
*Col*

And Moses looked upon the Lord and said: "We are your
chosen people and you want us to cut the tips off our
WHAT?!!!"

Warwick

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:23:10 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

> In article <riw868gys2i1$.1e1jki038s4vw$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi
>> Has anyone any experience with Dialers changing the dial up password?
>>
>> I have cleaned a friends mothers machine up, seems the dial up account has
>> changed password in the last 24 hours. An updated AVG found and healed 3
>> dialers and two trojans. Wondering if the two events are related.

> What kind of web sites were they visiting that would install diallers?

I did not ask or look, but warned him of the magnified risk of infection
from browsing adult sites. If you are thinking along the same lines as I
was.

Peter Huebner

In article <1mi0rb04kqqmz$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I did not ask or look, but warned him of the magnified risk of infection
> from browsing adult sites. If you are thinking along the same lines as I
> was.

Huh, if only that were all.

Only yesterday I did a google for the game I am playing at the moment,
got a result for some perfectly serious looking German Gamer site which
immediately tried to install a dialler.

In fact, about 90% of all dialler install attempts I have had were off
google results, looking for game walkthroughs/hints/tips with results
pointing to German sites. It seems to be a bit of a national pasttime
over there to catch the unweary

-Peter

~misfit~

Mainlander wrote:
> In article <riw868gys2i1$.1e1jki038s4vw$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi
>> Has anyone any experience with Dialers changing the dial up password?
>>
>> I have cleaned a friends mothers machine up, seems the dial up
>> account has changed password in the last 24 hours. An updated AVG
>> found and healed 3 dialers and two trojans. Wondering if the two
>> events are related.

> What kind of web sites were they visiting that would install diallers?

Warez and cracks sites?
--
~misfit~

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Mainlander wrote:
> What kind of web sites were they visiting that would install diallers?

I went to one called stickdeath.com while looking for stick figure
animations... about a million popups later I notice that one of them is
for a pron dialler.

I only visited this one for research for someone, they wanted to know
how easy it would be for their machine to be hijacked.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Lebowski

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:dbBVb.38493$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mainlander wrote:
> > In article <riw868gys2i1$.1e1jki038s4vw$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Hi
> >> Has anyone any experience with Dialers changing the dial up password?
> >>
> >> I have cleaned a friends mothers machine up, seems the dial up
> >> account has changed password in the last 24 hours. An updated AVG
> >> found and healed 3 dialers and two trojans. Wondering if the two
> >> events are related.

> > What kind of web sites were they visiting that would install diallers?

> Warez and cracks sites?
> --

usually they're porn sites. I know of a 60-year old married family friend
who was spending much of his spare time looking at porn sites and was
infested with dialers and his machine was very f**ked up. Ad Aware found
like "453 new objects", hahahaha! He also had a bill from Telecom for
several hundreds thanks to a calling location known as Guinea Basau! LOL!!!

~misfit~

Lebowski wrote:
> "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
> news:dbBVb.38493$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mainlander wrote:
>>> In article <riw868gys2i1$.1e1jki038s4vw$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> What kind of web sites were they visiting that would install
>>> diallers?

>> Warez and cracks sites?
>> --

> usually they're porn sites. I know of a 60-year old married family
> friend who was spending much of his spare time looking at porn sites
> and was infested with dialers and his machine was very f**ked up. Ad
> Aware found like "453 new objects", hahahaha! He also had a bill from
> Telecom for several hundreds thanks to a calling location known as
> Guinea Basau! LOL!!!

I've just checked my 'hosts' file today and it's full of porn-related stuff
(and I hardly ever go to porn sites - honest). The problem is, I don't know
what's supposed to be in there. I have 'Local host 127.0.0.0' or something
similar, plus something AdSubtract put in ther but I don't know if anything
else is needed for the comrrect running of my machine. Any ideas? I don't
like all that other shite in there and I'm sure it can't be good for my
machine.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~