Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xp Picture and Fax Viewer + Digital Camera

Xp Picture and Fax Viewer + Digital Camera

Dogg

Hi all,

I Use ACDSee as my picture viewer and everything is all fine except
that when I try to view jpg's on my camera. I can't even open up the
files from within ACDSee. Stupid Picture and Fax viewer is associated
with the "preview" action. I've tried the various reg fixes floating
around and the regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll fix but all these fixes seem to
be for Pic & Fax Viewer as the default viewer in windows...which mine
isn't. Any ideas?

Lebowski

"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I Use ACDSee as my picture viewer and everything is all fine except
> that when I try to view jpg's on my camera. I can't even open up the
> files from within ACDSee. Stupid Picture and Fax viewer is associated
> with the "preview" action. I've tried the various reg fixes floating
> around and the regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll fix but all these fixes seem to
> be for Pic & Fax Viewer as the default viewer in windows...which mine
> isn't. Any ideas?

What's so stupid about it? It's quite a good viewer and uses all the best
features of ACDSee. The cool thing is it only takes a roll of the mousewheel
to zoom in and out, and you can even permanently clockwise /
counterclockwise rotate a pic that may be orientated incorrectly. I think
it's excellent personally.

-[Myth]-

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:34:08 +1300, Dogg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I Use ACDSee as my picture viewer and everything is all fine except
> that when I try to view jpg's on my camera. I can't even open up the
> files from within ACDSee. Stupid Picture and Fax viewer is associated
> with the "preview" action. I've tried the various reg fixes floating
> around and the regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll fix but all these fixes seem to
> be for Pic & Fax Viewer as the default viewer in windows...which mine
> isn't. Any ideas?

are you opening the files through explorer or some other program?

K & S

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:34:08 +1300, Dogg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I Use ACDSee as my picture viewer and everything is all fine except
>that when I try to view jpg's on my camera. I can't even open up the
>files from within ACDSee. Stupid Picture and Fax viewer is associated
>with the "preview" action. I've tried the various reg fixes floating
>around and the regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll fix but all these fixes seem to
>be for Pic & Fax Viewer as the default viewer in windows...which mine
>isn't. Any ideas?

Go into Folder Options/File Types find the JPG reference and change it to the
program that you want open it, for that file type..

Dead Simple no hacks or Reg mods needed..

Dogg

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:59:01 +1300, "Lebowski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi all,

>What's so stupid about it? It's quite a good viewer and uses all the best
>features of ACDSee. The cool thing is it only takes a roll of the mousewheel
>to zoom in and out, and you can even permanently clockwise /
>counterclockwise rotate a pic that may be orientated incorrectly. I think
>it's excellent personally.

I didn't ask for your opinion but thanks anyway...

Dogg

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:11:49 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:34:08 +1300, Dogg wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I Use ACDSee as my picture viewer and everything is all fine except
>> that when I try to view jpg's on my camera. I can't even open up the
>> files from within ACDSee. Stupid Picture and Fax viewer is associated
>> with the "preview" action. I've tried the various reg fixes floating
>> around and the regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll fix but all these fixes seem to
>> be for Pic & Fax Viewer as the default viewer in windows...which mine
>> isn't. Any ideas?

>are you opening the files through explorer or some other program?

From explorer, the files open in Pic and Fax viewer. If I try to open
it from ACDSee, it doesn't do anything...??

Rider

"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:11:49 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:34:08 +1300, Dogg wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I Use ACDSee as my picture viewer and everything is all fine except
> >> that when I try to view jpg's on my camera. I can't even open up the
> >> files from within ACDSee. Stupid Picture and Fax viewer is associated
> >> with the "preview" action. I've tried the various reg fixes floating
> >> around and the regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll fix but all these fixes seem to
> >> be for Pic & Fax Viewer as the default viewer in windows...which mine
> >> isn't. Any ideas?

> >are you opening the files through explorer or some other program?

> From explorer, the files open in Pic and Fax viewer. If I try to open
> it from ACDSee, it doesn't do anything...??

If you right click on tyhe pic file, and click on "open with" and then
choose ACDSee .... does that work?

Rider

Dogg

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:01:21 +1300, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:11:49 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:34:08 +1300, Dogg wrote:

>If you right click on tyhe pic file, and click on "open with" and then
>choose ACDSee .... does that work?
>
>Rider

I can't even do that. When I browse to my camera, it's not like
*normal* explorer. It seems XP has taken it over and I only get "View,
copy" etc in the context menu...not the normal "Open with" etc.

Lebowski

"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:59:01 +1300, "Lebowski"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Hi all,

> >What's so stupid about it? It's quite a good viewer and uses all the best
> >features of ACDSee. The cool thing is it only takes a roll of the

mousewheel
> >to zoom in and out, and you can even permanently clockwise /
> >counterclockwise rotate a pic that may be orientated incorrectly. I think
> >it's excellent personally.
> >

> I didn't ask for your opinion but thanks anyway...

I didn't ask for yours either but was curious as to why you dislike
something that's not so dissimilar to a program you favour positively.

Dogg

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:23:34 +1300, "Lebowski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I didn't ask for yours either but was curious as to why you dislike
>something that's not so dissimilar to a program you favour positively.

It just introduces another step in the process for me..oh...and it
sucks ass.