Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone here running Morphix?

Anyone here running Morphix?

Max Burke

Thinking about trying it out.....

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Max Burke wrote:
> Thinking about trying it out.....

I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
I could remember which mag? Nope!

I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
crack...

--
Kind regards,

GraB

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:57:12 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Max Burke wrote:
>> Thinking about trying it out.....

>I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
>I could remember which mag? Nope!
>
>I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
>crack...

I think it was PC User.

Max Burke

> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:
>> Thinking about trying it out.....

> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
> I could remember which mag? Nope!
> I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
> crack...

Australian PC Authority, February issue.

It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the
time to install on the hard drive.

At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

--

Max Burke wrote:
>>Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

>>>Max Burke wrote:
>>> Thinking about trying it out.....

>>I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
>>I could remember which mag? Nope!
>>I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
>>crack...

> Australian PC Authority, February issue.
>
> It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the
> time to install on the hard drive.
>
> At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
> enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

I'd be in 2 minds about that too, since I'd install such a thing based
its *differences* from XP et al...

Then again its a bandwagon many distros are jumping on, to try and lure
Windows user across from the so-called 'dark-side'...

--
Kind regards,

Peter

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
> Max Burke wrote:
>> Thinking about trying it out.....

> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
> I could remember which mag? Nope!

PC Authority
http://sourceforge.net/project/shown...ease_id=213080

Peter

Enkidu

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
wrote:

>> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

>>> Max Burke wrote:
>>> Thinking about trying it out.....

>> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
>> I could remember which mag? Nope!
>> I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
>> crack...

>Australian PC Authority, February issue.
>
>It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the
>time to install on the hard drive.
>
>At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
>enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

Sigh. Looks like *another* distribution with *another* variation of
the license thing....

I'll stick with Debian, or Fedora or whatever....

Cheers,

Cliff

--

I think that Don Brash is a Labour mole.
That would explain everything.

dmbkiwi

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

>> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

>>> Max Burke wrote:
>>> Thinking about trying it out.....

>> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think I could
>> remember which mag? Nope! I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and
>> find/buy it just to give it a crack...

> Australian PC Authority, February issue.
>
> It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth
> the time to install on the hard drive.
>
> At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
> enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

It may "look" like windows XP, although I'm not sure how, but underneath
it is debian based linux. THAT is the difference. It works completely
differently. The differences to Windows XP are huge. Whether you
want/like that, is a different question. Please don't confuse "look and
feel" with the underlying architecture/os.

Matt

harry

Enkidu wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
> wrote:
>
>>> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

>>> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
>>> I could remember which mag? Nope!
>>> I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
>>> crack...

>> Australian PC Authority, February issue.
>>
>> It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's
>> worth the time to install on the hard drive.
>>
>> At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't
>> really enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

> Sigh. Looks like *another* distribution with *another* variation of
> the license thing....
>
> I'll stick with Debian, or Fedora or whatever....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Morphix is Debian, one of eleven run from CD variants.
http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/installers.html
Its a derivative of Knoppix
It lags behind Knoppix a little in some features like HD install,
terminalserver etc it has a Gnome 2 Desktop in one version and a lightweight
desktop in the lightgui version.
Its a nice Gnome 2 demo.

harry

dmbkiwi wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

>> At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't
>> really enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

> It may "look" like windows XP, although I'm not sure how, but
> underneath it is debian based linux. THAT is the difference. It
> works completely differently. The differences to Windows XP are
> huge. Whether you want/like that, is a different question. Please
> don't confuse "look and feel" with the underlying architecture/os.
>
> Matt

If its the standard Morphix HeavyGUI it has the standard Gnome application
menu at the top of the screen, more like a Mac.
Its configurable