Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone tried DSE soundcard xh7847?

Anyone tried DSE soundcard xh7847?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>> Noise comes down to the codecs used and the qualiy of board design
>>> and construction, the actual chip doing the PCI interface will have
>>> nothing to do with quality unless its doing some dodgey resampling
>>> like the creative live and audigy do.

>> To the best of my knowledge the CMI8738 device integrates ALL the usual
>> sound ADC, DAC, codec, wavetable, pci bus, and everything into one slab.

> Hrrm, just had another look at it and yeah, there are no other chips _at
> all_ on the card.
>
> I would just buy it and if it sucks take it back.. dse are good in that
> respect.

I'm tempted, but have you ever tried to configure a soundcard under
Linux? It could take weeks to get it doing what I would like it to,
only then to discover the recording sucks!

>> In theory recording could suffer from noise pickup, since the DAC/ADC
>> will not be buffered/filtered and shielded, but thats theory...I'm
>> after peoples practical experience with the CMI8738 based cards.

> Never tested it, and I have desoldered all the ****ing 3.5mm jacks they
> inflict on you with sound cards and put shielded wire to the 6 required
> RCAs for the 5.1 output..

3.5's suck bigtime. Serious gear uses RCA's. Really serious gear (I
really mean it!) uses 6.5mm phono's or other pro-muso weirdness...

--
Kind regards,

RecyclerMan

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
> suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
> find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
> recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
> exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
>
> Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
> means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
> recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
>
> So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
> not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!

I am using one of these cards xh7847 they have a good cleen analog
input. To quallify that I have used SoundBlaster cards ISA
(16,16pnp,AWE23 &64) the Live card was Bad with out the livedrive sound
wise it is pretty cleen, noise floor is a little shabby at arround -40db
recording this is the noise floor I record I do not know it that is A
weighted or unweigheted (suspect the later) tone wise seems pretty
nutral been recording my Lp's with this card with GOOD resaults. Its Big
Minus it the senitivitivty it a little low you need a verry Loud signal
to get it to maximum signal ie a 0db input reads arround -12db recoded I
use a Sansui D-705 to boost the input to the computer (it's a Three Head
Cassette Deck) other than that it is a good card I still like my AWE64
for playback and or the yamaha chiped sound card as well. but for the
money its pretty good.

DO you want to here soem samples of what it can do?

RecyclerMan

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

>>> To the best of my knowledge the CMI8738 device integrates ALL the usual
>>> sound ADC, DAC, codec, wavetable, pci bus, and everything into one slab.

>> Hrrm, just had another look at it and yeah, there are no other chips
>> _at all_ on the card.
>>
>> I would just buy it and if it sucks take it back.. dse are good in
>> that respect.

> I'm tempted, but have you ever tried to configure a soundcard under
> Linux? It could take weeks to get it doing what I would like it to,
> only then to discover the recording sucks!
>
>>> In theory recording could suffer from noise pickup, since the DAC/ADC
>>> will not be buffered/filtered and shielded, but thats theory...I'm
>>> after peoples practical experience with the CMI8738 based cards.

>> Never tested it, and I have desoldered all the ****ing 3.5mm jacks
>> they inflict on you with sound cards and put shielded wire to the 6
>> required RCAs for the 5.1 output..

> 3.5's suck bigtime. Serious gear uses RCA's. Really serious gear (I
> really mean it!) uses 6.5mm phono's or other pro-muso weirdness...

The card works in Mandrake and red hat OK it is a little bitch to get
going after install of os but if the card is in the machine during
instal all is sweet.

RecyclerMan

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Steve Robertson wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Wilkinson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
>>> suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I

>> Unfortunately DSE should be the last place to go for PC parts pricewise
>> http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_15.html#g37

> Most other shops don't seem to cater for the 'middle'. They have
> $30 cheapies, or Audigy2, or nothing...
>
> M-Audio make the perfect cards for me, but not for my budget. They
> start at around $500...I'm not wanting to spend more than $100...
>
>> Perhaps you'll find a better card cheaper on trademe ( Audigy go quite
>> cheaply sometimes) Even some quite old cards still sound pretty good
>> (Diamond monster100/300)
>> Or a Esonic/SB_PCI64:good digital(Better than SB Live) & dirt cheap,
>> see below
>> http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm
>> Just a few alternatives maybee??
>> You may want a card with toslink i/p: a good option.
>> Im looking at buying a Minidisk recorder for this sort of thing.

> My recordings will be mixed down to 16-bit 44kHz AIFF uncompressed
> stereo for maximum CD-quality, then dumped digitally to CD-R...
>
>> When I tried PC Recording (years back) I had 3 SB16_AWE cards giving
>> me a 6track recorder.
>> The quality even with these crappy cards was damn good compared to
>> tape (limiting factor was lack of good mic's)

> My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track playback
> and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone and clarity
> of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar, strung with decent
> Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I can get a soundcard
> that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying digital
> scritch like my current soundcard does...

It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I have
not heard anything to compalin about and this was using Stenhiser
headphones.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

RecyclerMan wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track playback
>> and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone and clarity
>> of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar, strung with decent
>> Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I can get a soundcard
>> that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying digital
>> scritch like my current soundcard does...
>>

> It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I have
> not heard anything to compalin about and this was using Stenhiser
> headphones.

Cheers. I can understand it will not record as cleanly as a $500 M-Audio
or other pro-audio card, but as long as the sampling it does is clean
and relatively noise free I'll be happy...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

RecyclerMan wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm looking at the xh7847 soundcard from DSE. It appears to be quite
>> suitable for what I want to do (music recording), but nowhere can I
>> find any info (from DSE or elsewhere) about how good the quality of
>> recording is...DSE can tell me diddly squat, and no formal reviews
>> exist on the net to say how good/bad this surprisingly cheap card is.
>>
>> Most cheaper cards have crappy analog to digital conversion, which
>> means lots of extraneous noise and system digital 'scritch' will be
>> recorded in addition to the lovely acoustic guitar I'll be playing.
>>
>> So, if any nz.comp'ers have first-hand knowledge of how cleanly (or
>> not) this DSE card can record, I'd be keen to know your comments!
>>

> I am using one of these cards xh7847 they have a good cleen analog
> input. To quallify that I have used SoundBlaster cards ISA
> (16,16pnp,AWE23 &64) the Live card was Bad with out the livedrive sound
> wise it is pretty cleen, noise floor is a little shabby at arround -40db
> recording this is the noise floor I record I do not know it that is A
> weighted or unweigheted (suspect the later) tone wise seems pretty
> nutral been recording my Lp's with this card with GOOD resaults. Its Big
> Minus it the senitivitivty it a little low you need a verry Loud signal
> to get it to maximum signal ie a 0db input reads arround -12db recoded I
> use a Sansui D-705 to boost the input to the computer (it's a Three Head
> Cassette Deck) other than that it is a good card I still like my AWE64
> for playback and or the yamaha chiped sound card as well. but for the
> money its pretty good.
>
> DO you want to here soem samples of what it can do?

That would be great dude!

The best sample I could listen to would be a recording of silence.
You could record 5 seconds of silence from the line-in, as a 16-bit,
44 kHz stereo wave file. That would be a 1 meg file, but you could
crunch that using winzip to a more emailable size...

Why silence? Because recording music over top of noise often makes
noise hard to hear, even though the noise will lower the clarity
of the overall sound of the music. A recording of silence has no
musical content to disguise the sound of extraneous noise, so it
makes it much easier to discern if extraneous noise is being picked up
and recorded/sampled by the soundcard. I will use software to zoom in
on the sample to see what level of noise is recorded, as well as dumping
the raw sample onto a CD-R to be played back and carefully listened to
on my audiophile stereo system...

--
Kind regards,

Stuart Richards

Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Serious gear uses RCA's.

Ha ha ha!

harry

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> RecyclerMan wrote:
>> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>>> My recording software (Audacity) will allow realtime 24 track
>>> playback and mixdown with my AthlonXP 2500+. But the beautiful tone
>>> and clarity of my 30+ year old Yamaha classical acoustic guitar,
>>> strung with decent Martin strings, is completely wasted unless I
>>> can get a soundcard
>>> that only records what the guitar plays, and not added annoying
>>> digital scritch like my current soundcard does...
>>>

>> It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I
>> have not heard anything to compalin about and this was using
>> Stenhiser headphones.

> Cheers. I can understand it will not record as cleanly as a $500
> M-Audio or other pro-audio card, but as long as the sampling it does
> is clean and relatively noise free I'll be happy...

You are probably best to save your pennies for an external USB 2.0 mic
preamp DA combo like a Mbox or the various MAudio mobile interfaces, cards
are a pain in the bum, A gain knob and some metering and accessible
connectors is such an advantage.
A USB box makes any current PC or laptop into a useful two track or four
track recorder.
And they come with nice software bundles.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

harry wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>RecyclerMan wrote:

>>>It doesent add scritch like you say well not to any great extent I
>>>have not heard anything to compalin about and this was using
>>>Stenhiser headphones.

>>Cheers. I can understand it will not record as cleanly as a $500
>>M-Audio or other pro-audio card, but as long as the sampling it does
>>is clean and relatively noise free I'll be happy...

> You are probably best to save your pennies for an external USB 2.0 mic
> preamp DA combo like a Mbox or the various MAudio mobile interfaces, cards
> are a pain in the bum, A gain knob and some metering and accessible
> connectors is such an advantage.

Cards are a pain in the bum as you say, but I'm prepared to put up with
the annoyance factor in order to reduce the cost factor. An Mbox costs
more than my entire AthlonXP 2500+ CPU box!

> And they come with nice software bundles.

Yes, but not for Linux...like the Audigy2 cards I would be paying for
stuff I cannot use.

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Stuart Richards wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>Serious gear uses RCA's.

> Ha ha ha!

Yeah, I thought it were funny too, but in what context do you
find it so?

--
Kind regards,