Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Problem With Uru: Ages Beyond Myst Demo

Reply
Thread Tools

Problem With Uru: Ages Beyond Myst Demo

 
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-05-2004
Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen comes
up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
second then crashes to desktop without a trace.

So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening. Curiously,
it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from loading.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ccPwdSvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 5/02/2004
Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Application terminated

I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
-[Myth]-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-05-2004
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

> Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen comes
> up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
> settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
> second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
>
> So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening. Curiously,
> it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from loading.
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: ccPwdSvc
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 2
> Date: 5/02/2004
> Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Description:
> Application terminated
>
> I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
> attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
> Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
> AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
> can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?


you have to kill all norton related processes at startup, ie while nortons
tray icons etc are still loading.
you can make a batch script to do this, and put it in your startup,
in the .bat file put:
taskkill /F /IM Navapw32.exe
taskkill /F /IM Navapsvc.exe

add any other processes you want to kill.

alternatively uninstall NAV and install the free version of AVG as i did
recently. It is much better and can be left active while gaming with no
decrease in performance.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
K & S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-05-2004
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen comes
>up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
>settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
>second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
>
>So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening. Curiously,
>it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from loading.
>
>Event Type: Information
>Event Source: ccPwdSvc
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 2
>Date: 5/02/2004
>Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
>User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>Description:
>Application terminated
>
>I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
>attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
>Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
>AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
>can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
>




Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..

Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
background..


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-05-2004

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b3pxkwekyg2p$(E-Mail Removed)...

> you have to kill all norton related processes at startup, ie while nortons
> tray icons etc are still loading.
> you can make a batch script to do this, and put it in your startup,
> in the .bat file put:
> taskkill /F /IM Navapw32.exe
> taskkill /F /IM Navapsvc.exe
>
> add any other processes you want to kill.



Hi, well I stuck the following processes into the batch file:

taskkill /F /IM NPROTECT.EXE
taskkill /F /IM NAVAPSVC.EXE
taskkill /F /IM NVSVC32.EXE
taskkill /F /IM ccApp.exe
taskkill /F /IM CCEVTMGR.EXE
taskkill /F /IM ccPwdSvc.EXE

(note Nortons 2003 now calls it Nprotect.exe, not Navapw32.exe which I seem
to remember was in their 2001/02 incarnation).

The first 3 processes it killed and confirmed, but with the last 3, it
sort-of ignored them. Maybe I still need to add something that I've missed /
overlooked as the demo still would not run, and the Event Viewer reported
exactly the same fault - ccPwdSvc.exe - the cunning bastard!

>
> alternatively uninstall NAV and install the free version of AVG as i did
> recently. It is much better and can be left active while gaming with no
> decrease in performance.


My rig never decreases in performance with Nortons anyway. I think the old
adage of Nortons slowing down systems doesn't ring true in this age where we
now have the ram and grunt to run these things with a minimum of fuss. If
you install Nortons 2003 on a P266 with 32mb of ram, then sure, your whole
system is going to struggle. But hey, 2400+XP, 768mb ram and 128mb video
card...sweet! Having now removed the *.bat file, restarted and looked at the
Task Manager, all Nortons-related activity seems to come to roughly 20 megs
of ram total. Out of 768 to play with, it's chicken feed. So it's no
surprise I'm still playing Vice City at 1600x1200 all details on high smooth
as glass framerate with no degredation of performance whatsoever.

I trust Symantec's Live Update more than I do AVG, which I had for a while
but didn't care for too much. NAV scnas all incoming and outgoing emails
through OE, and I prefer to have a system which fits perfectly together and
works well, you can trust it with more assurance that way. While I had AVG I
almost felt like I was leaving the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff,
there was something dodgy about it but it's probably just a personal
perception thing (like you never quite knew if it was doing its job or not).
Anyway, I digress

Appreciate your help with the batch file, any other suggestions would be
most welcome, just for the sake of playing this demo once..to have a look at
it!




 
Reply With Quote
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004

"K & S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen

comes
> >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
> >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
> >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
> >
> >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening.

Curiously,
> >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from

loading.
> >
> >Event Type: Information
> >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
> >Event Category: None
> >Event ID: 2
> >Date: 5/02/2004
> >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
> >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> >Description:
> >Application terminated
> >
> >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
> >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf

ears.
> >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work.

My
> >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way

I
> >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
> >

>
>
>
> Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
>


Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it comes
to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons is
far and away the best.


> Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
> background..
>
>


Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware vermin, and
all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people did
the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually get a
virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.


 
Reply With Quote
 
K & S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:03:18 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"K & S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen

>comes
>> >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
>> >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
>> >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
>> >
>> >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening.

>Curiously,
>> >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from

>loading.
>> >
>> >Event Type: Information
>> >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
>> >Event Category: None
>> >Event ID: 2
>> >Date: 5/02/2004
>> >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
>> >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>> >Description:
>> >Application terminated
>> >
>> >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
>> >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf

>ears.
>> >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work.

>My
>> >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way

>I
>> >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
>> >

>>
>>
>>
>> Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
>>

>
>Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it comes
>to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons is
>far and away the best.
>
>
>> Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
>> background..
>>
>>

>
>Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
>floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
>firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware vermin, and
>all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people did
>the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually get a
>virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.
>



Utter Rubbish I use Cable and just use the Kerio firewall, no background virus
checker, you have really been conned into thinking you need all this stuff to
clog up your PC...



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004

"K & S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:03:18 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"K & S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen

> >comes
> >> >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
> >> >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank

for a
> >> >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
> >> >
> >> >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening.

> >Curiously,
> >> >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from

> >loading.
> >> >
> >> >Event Type: Information
> >> >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
> >> >Event Category: None
> >> >Event ID: 2
> >> >Date: 5/02/2004
> >> >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
> >> >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> >> >Description:
> >> >Application terminated
> >> >
> >> >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task

Manager,
> >> >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf

> >ears.
> >> >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't

work.
> >My
> >> >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any

way
> >I
> >> >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
> >>

> >
> >Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it

comes
> >to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons is
> >far and away the best.
> >
> >
> >> Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
> >> background..
> >>
> >>

> >
> >Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
> >floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
> >firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware vermin,

and
> >all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people

did
> >the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually get

a
> >virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.
> >

>
>
> Utter Rubbish I use Cable and just use the Kerio firewall, no background

virus
> checker, you have really been conned into thinking you need all this stuff

to
> clog up your PC...
>
>
>

Clog it up? Hardly.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004

"Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40231ae5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "K & S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:03:18 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >"K & S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > >> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski"

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > >> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen
> > >comes
> > >> >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and

audio
> > >> >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank

> for a
> > >> >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
> > >> >
> > >> >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening.
> > >Curiously,
> > >> >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from
> > >loading.
> > >> >
> > >> >Event Type: Information
> > >> >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
> > >> >Event Category: None
> > >> >Event ID: 2
> > >> >Date: 5/02/2004
> > >> >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
> > >> >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> > >> >Description:
> > >> >Application terminated
> > >> >
> > >> >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task

> Manager,
> > >> >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon

deaf
> > >ears.
> > >> >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't

> work.
> > >My
> > >> >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there

any
> way
> > >I
> > >> >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
> > >>
> > >
> > >Then how come Symantec are always the most trusted and helpful when it

> comes
> > >to providing removal tools and manual removal of viri? I think Nortons

is
> > >far and away the best.
> > >
> > >
> > >> Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
> > >> background..
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > >Yeah that's a great idea, on ADSL that's really going to leave the
> > >floodgates open isn't it? I prefer to be more responsible - I have a
> > >firewall, Nortons Auto-Protect always on, Spybot for any spyware

vermin,
> and
> > >all latest critical updates from Microsoft. Geez, if only other people

> did
> > >the same, then they wouldn't bitch and complain when they do actually

get
> a
> > >virus. I have absolutely zero sympathy for these people.
> > >

> >
> >
> > Utter Rubbish I use Cable and just use the Kerio firewall, no background

> virus
> > checker, you have really been conned into thinking you need all this

stuff
> to
> > clog up your PC...
> >
> >
> >

> Clog it up? Hardly.
>
>

20 megs of memory devoted to Nortons won't clog up a computer. Having the
ICF running won't clog it up either. Patches from Windows Update are not a
silly thing to grab from time-to-time, as does the occasional broom-sweep
with Spybot (not resident in startup/memory btw). All pretty sensible stuff
with all due respect to your assertion. If such a strategy is described as
"utter rubbish", then imagine all the fools out there who do nothing or
don't care what passes through their pc.

For instance, people who download nice waterfall screensavers, happilly
loading N-CASE. Good ole GAIN appears on the scene because Bonzi Buddy was
"oh so friendly". Then they wonder why they keep getting hit with
advertisements and dial-up prompts the moment they boot their computer.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mainlander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:50 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Well I haven't been able to play this demo as yet. The splash screen comes
> >up, where you can input your name and choose which graphics and audio
> >settings you desire. Then, hit the "play" button. Screen goes blank for a
> >second then crashes to desktop without a trace.
> >
> >So I went into the XP Event Viewer to suss out what is happening. Curiously,
> >it is all to do with my Norton Antivirus, preventing the game from loading.
> >
> >Event Type: Information
> >Event Source: ccPwdSvc
> >Event Category: None
> >Event ID: 2
> >Date: 5/02/2004
> >Time: 11:21:44 p.m.
> >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> >Description:
> >Application terminated
> >
> >I found no such way to disable / shut down the ccPwdSvc. In Task Manager,
> >attempting to "End Process" anything regarding Nortons fell upon deaf ears.
> >Even simply disabling Norton Auto-Protect in the system tray didn't work. My
> >AV is interferring every time I try to start this game - is there any way I
> >can overcome this...(apart from uninstalling Nortons of course!)?
> >

>
>
>
> Never ever use NAV its the Biggest Virus out..
>
> Plus you don't need it, use a Virus program that does not work in the
> background..


Sure mate, just let the viruses work away infecting files in your PC

The autoprotect is one of the best features of NAV, it limits the amount
of damage a virus can do if it does get in undetected.

--
Full featured open source Win32 newsreader - Gravity 2.70
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderbird - it takes ages to get mail uerbe Firefox 2 05-21-2005 09:22 PM
Wireless connection takes ages - help? DavidM Wireless Networking 2 04-05-2005 05:59 PM
wxPython demo /Process does not open new demo Andy Leszczynski Python 1 02-18-2005 06:03 PM
PyOpenGL demo in wxPython demo crashes F. GEIGER Python 9 05-03-2004 04:43 PM
Python is used in Cyan's 'URU Ages of Myst' Irmen de Jong Python 0 11-27-2003 08:26 PM



Advertisments