Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mail not even addressed to me - ISP fault?

Mail not even addressed to me - ISP fault?

pour-lay

From:**** Tony Gentry <(E-Mail Removed)>
To:******* <(E-Mail Removed)>
From http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
free.net.nz
(Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
<(E-Mail Removed)>;
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300

I am not (E-Mail Removed) so why would I get these emails in my
mailbox?

Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

EMB

"pour-lay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From: Tony Gentry <(E-Mail Removed)>
> To: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> From (E-Mail Removed) Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
> free.net.nz
> (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
> <(E-Mail Removed)>;
> Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
>
> I am not (E-Mail Removed) so why would I get these emails in my
> mailbox?
>
> Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

You'll be in the bcc (blind carbon copy field) - you and any other
recipients won't show

EMB

~misfit~

pour-lay wrote:
> From: Tony Gentry <(E-Mail Removed)>
> To: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> From (E-Mail Removed) Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
> free.net.nz
> (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
> <(E-Mail Removed)>;
> Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
>
> I am not (E-Mail Removed) so why would I get these emails in my
> mailbox?
>
> Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

I get things like that sometimes. Bad form posting the addys though unless
you're sure both sender and recipient are spammers.
--
~misfit~

pour-lay

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:06:55 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
wrote:

>pour-lay wrote:
>> From: Tony Gentry <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> To: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> From (E-Mail Removed) Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
>> free.net.nz
>> (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>;
>> Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
>>
>> I am not (E-Mail Removed) so why would I get these emails in my
>> mailbox?
>>
>> Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

>I get things like that sometimes. Bad form posting the addys though unless
>you're sure both sender and recipient are spammers.

oops, is this where I might say something like, 'my bad'?

Stewy

pour-lay wrote:

> From: Tony Gentry <(E-Mail Removed)>
> To: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> From (E-Mail Removed) Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
> free.net.nz
> (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
> <(E-Mail Removed)>;
> Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
>
> I am not (E-Mail Removed) so why would I get these emails in my
> mailbox?
>
> Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

With some of the mail programs, if they have your name in the BCC field, you
can't see your name in the header.

Caught me out. Mozilla does it.

But it's a feature I like.

~misfit~

pour-lay wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:06:55 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> pour-lay wrote:
>>> From: Tony Gentry <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> To: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> From (E-Mail Removed) Wed, 04 Feb 04 04:54:20 GMT
>>> free.net.nz
>>> (Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.7) with ESMTP id
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>;
>>> Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:48:08 +1300
>>>
>>> I am not (E-Mail Removed) so why would I get these emails
>>> in my mailbox?
>>>
>>> Sometimes I wonder if ISPs are spammers.

>> I get things like that sometimes. Bad form posting the addys though
>> unless you're sure both sender and recipient are spammers.

> oops, is this where I might say something like, 'my bad'?

LOL, everyone makes mistakes. Personally the only time I post real addys in
NGs is when they're spammer's addys. And then I hope like hell a spambot or
virus picks them up.

I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
real addys.
--
~misfit~

Richard Hector

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:06:01 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
> addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
> real addys.

Though some of us are not newbies and still have un-munged real addresses
because we refuse to give in.

Richard

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Richard Hector wrote:
>>I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
>>addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
>>real addys.

> Though some of us are not newbies and still have un-munged real addresses
> because we refuse to give in.

wow, you must be really stubborn... I once got a black eye in a pillow
fight for being stubborn(him:does this hurt, me:no, him:does this hurt,
me:no, him:does this hurt, me:no, him:does this hurt, me:no, rinse and
repeat for 3 hrs) but I gave in a munged my email address.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Dogg

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:06:01 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
wrote:

>I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
>addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
>real addys.

You use OE as a newsreader? Frankly misift, I expected more from you.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Dogg wrote:
>>I've even got OEQuotefix installed so it doesn't put the previous posters
>>addy at the top of the posts as some people are newbies and have un-munged,
>>real addys.

> You use OE as a newsreader? Frankly misift, I expected more from you.

OE does a very good job at news... and with quote fix, it is practically
perfect.

We all keep our systems no matter what OS/software up to date now don't
we...

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz