Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 'Maxnet' internet users

'Maxnet' internet users

Snoopy

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They used to have a few news server problems, for a while there every few
>days I would email them saying 'your news server has crashed' and someone
>would go and prod it with a stick and it would go for a few more days.
>Recently though it has been very good, I haven't noticed any missing
>international groups.

How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
subscribe to?

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

Peter

Snoopy wrote:
> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
> news group service like?

pretty good
There were some problems, but they did an upgrade or something about April
2003 and things have been pretty good since then.
I've found the help desk guys to be helpful, too.

HTH

Peter

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Snoopy *is n wrote:
>>What's wrong with Caverock?

> International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
> the end of the month.

I assume that they are doing it as a cost cutting measure...
Wonder why they don't cut just binaries...

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Rich

"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >They used to have a few news server problems, for a while there every few
> >days I would email them saying 'your news server has crashed' and someone
> >would go and prod it with a stick and it would go for a few more days.
> >Recently though it has been very good, I haven't noticed any missing
> >international groups.
> >

> How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
> subscribe to?

The earliest new posts I can see today are dated December 18.

Snoopy

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:53:17 +1300, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
>> subscribe to?

>The earliest new posts I can see today are dated December 18.

Six weeks or so of posts? Not bad at all! What overseas newsgroup
are you talking about specifically?

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
details

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:20:18 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
> >> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
> >> news group service like?

> >What's wrong with Caverock?
> >

> International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
> the end of the month.

On what grounds?

Remember, they pride themselves on service. Their newsfeed used to be one
of the best in NZ.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:20:18 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
> >> I am considering switching ISPs to Maxnet. What is the international
> >> news group service like?

> >What's wrong with Caverock?
> >

> International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
> the end of the month.

Why not Paradise? There's a few of us ex-Caverockers there. Corky is on
Paradise now I think.

Snoopy

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:16:09 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
>> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:20:18 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z says...
>>>
>>>What's wrong with Caverock?
>>>

>>International newsgroup support at Caverock is being discontinued from
>>the end of the month.

>On what grounds?

Cost saving (!). Someone else suggested that it would be easier to
save costs by just cutting out the binary newsgroups. But I'm not
sure that the staff at Caverock have much of a clue about newsgroups
any more. I'm not sure they understand there is any difference
between binaries and non binaries. Still if 'cost saving' measures
have got that desperate that they have to cut off their newsfeed I
guess that introduces some doubt as to the stability of the whole
operation. This is another reason why I have been spurred into
action to look elsewhere.

The first bad sign was when they got rid of their own in house
newsgroups. That forced any dirty linen Caverock discussion out
into the public domain, into the Canterbury regional newsgroup or
nz.comp. Then there was the problem of their own news server
constantly crashing which is a problem that took almost a year to fix.
Not that they weren't helpful and didn't try. But no-one there
seemed to have the technical ability to fix it. It is largely fixed
now, although the server seemed to have crashed again over Christmas
while I was away.

>Remember, they pride themselves on service. Their newsfeed
>used to be one of the best in NZ.

I can honestly say I have never found Caverock unhelpful. Niggles
receive prompt attention.

Caverock use 'newsfeeds.com' for international news feed. It is not
perfect and does miss a few posts. But is has a cache that goes back
a couple of months for the big 8 groups (a time period which is self
promoted as the best in the industry). Couple this with the local
pairing from other nz news providers and the total news service is
rather good. Or 'is rather good' when the local news server stops
crashing at least. I have no confidence at all about Caverocks
ability to run their own news server even now. Last year I spent
weeks plugged into 'newsfeeds' directly because of local server
problems. Since my principal use of the internet is 'news' I am
effectively being forced out.

SNOOPY

--

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:17:10 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>Why not Paradise? There's a few of us ex-Caverockers there.
>Corky is on Paradise now I think.

I have heard good and bad things about Paradise. Are you on dial up?
What is the international newsfeed like (e.g. how many days worth of
posts are cached)?

Front runner to replace Caverock at the moment is 'Snap' who get their
international newsfeed from Telstra anyway (according to the Riccarton
office).

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
details

Rich

"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:53:17 +1300, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Snoopy (*is n)" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:30:46 +1300, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>

> >> How many days worth of posts are available for the newsgroups that you
> >> subscribe to?

> >The earliest new posts I can see today are dated December 18.
> >

> Six weeks or so of posts? Not bad at all! What overseas newsgroup
> are you talking about specifically?

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

Be careful, Woger likes to lurk there.