Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installing Windows on 2nd HDD

Installing Windows on 2nd HDD

Mainlander

If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
D:

I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Mainlander wrote:
> If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
> D:
> I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather picky
about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Julian Visch

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Mainlander wrote:
>
>> If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows
>> on D:
>> I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

> It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather picky
> about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.

Yes it is possible, what I did was install windows on "D" as master
(i.e. it temporary became C), then switched it to slave(back to D) and
installed Linux on "C" then modified lilo to make windows think it was
still on C, i.e.

other = /dev/hdb1
map-drive=0x80
to=0x81
map-drive=0x81
to=0x80
label = windows
table=/dev/hdb

have fun

K & S

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:44:52 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
>D:
>
>I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

But Lunix users don't need Windows..?

L33T

ahh the ever helpful posting by woger the witless.
congrats.

> But Lunix users don't need Windows..?

ac

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:44:52 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
> >If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
> >D:
> >
> >I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

> But Lunix users don't need Windows..?

You're right, we can use the command line too...

IRO

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Julian Visch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Mainlander wrote:
> >
> >> If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows
> >> on D:
> >> I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

> > It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather picky
> > about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.
> >

> Yes it is possible, what I did was install windows on "D" as master
> (i.e. it temporary became C), then switched it to slave(back to D) and
> installed Linux on "C" then modified lilo to make windows think it was
> still on C, i.e.
>
> other = /dev/hdb1
> map-drive=0x80
> to=0x81
> map-drive=0x81
> to=0x80
> label = windows
> table=/dev/hdb
>
> have fun

Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

--
~IRO

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

IRO wrote:
> Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

which turkey?

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

harry

IRO wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Julian Visch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It depends on the version of windows... the 9x series is rather
>>> picky about it, and only wants to be put onto 'c' drive.
>>>

>> Yes it is possible, what I did was install windows on "D" as master
>> (i.e. it temporary became C), then switched it to slave(back to D)
>> and installed Linux on "C" then modified lilo to make windows think
>> it was still on C, i.e.
>>
>> other = /dev/hdb1
>> map-drive=0x80
>> to=0x81
>> map-drive=0x81
>> to=0x80
>> label = windows
>> table=/dev/hdb
>>
>> have fun

> Amazing! And that turkey was asking what people saw in Macs.

Whats amazing ?
I'm amazed that you think that someones helpful post is justification for
namecalling
If he is a turkey, what does that make you ?
You offer no help, you are off topic, you don't know what you are talking
about, you are worse than Woger.
A little bit of config file text editing ?
You can do that with your OSX too.
It uses pretty similar names
You might even be able to dual boot
LILO is the bootloader
GRUB is probably easier for this setup.
They both have GUI configurators, but mouse obsessiveness isn't compulsory.
Your Mac has a bootloader too.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

K & S wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:44:52 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
>
>>If I have two hard drives, C and D, is it possible to install Windows on
>>D:
>>
>>I want to put Linux on C: exclusively if possible.

[To original author, not Woger]
That is definately possible. Many linux users have done just that, but
I haven't tried yet so I can't offer too much advice. The info I've read
seems to suggest that a separate physical disk for windows is the safer
method of dual-booting...

> But Lunix users don't need Windows..?

[To Woger]
Correct, we don't, but we might need something to laugh at (other than
your silly posts) once in a while...

--
Kind regards,