Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > VNC question

Reply
Thread Tools

VNC question

 
 
Evil Bastard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2004
Hi,

I want to move my main server/workstation boxen out of the room (to save
space and reduce noise/heat), and talk to the workstation box over LAN
from a VNC terminal.

For the VNC terminal, I'm thinking of getting an el cheapo Pentium/AMD box
from Trademe, and sticking a minimal Debian with minimal X and vncclient
on it.

My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory does
it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server is
1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?

Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?

Thx in advance

EB

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2004
Evil Bastard wrote:
> My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory does
> it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server is
> 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
> Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?


yeah, too slow... but... as long as you have a fast network connection,
it is all good... then just buy to budget.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz
We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evil Bastard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2004
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:35:21 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Evil Bastard wrote:
>> My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory does
>> it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server is
>> 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
>> Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?

>
> yeah, too slow... but... as long as you have a fast network connection,
> it is all good... then just buy to budget.


I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour, over a
100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good performance
in a dedicated vnc terminal?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2004
Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in
newsan.2004.02.02.02.57.22.157262@127.0.0.1:

> On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:35:21 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Evil Bastard wrote:
>>> My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory
>>> does it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server
>>> is 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
>>> Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too
>>> slow?

>>
>> yeah, too slow... but... as long as you have a fast network
>> connection, it is all good... then just buy to budget.

>
> I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour,
> over a 100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good
> performance in a dedicated vnc terminal?
>

Try redirecting the X-console. Probably better than VNC because no
encode/ decoding steps, less software.
I have not done it though.
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2004
Dave Taylor wrote:
>>I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour,
>>over a 100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good
>>performance in a dedicated vnc terminal?


> Try redirecting the X-console. Probably better than VNC because no
> encode/ decoding steps, less software.
> I have not done it though.


This, my old flat mate did... admitedly he redirected the X-console to
an XP machine(cant remember the name of the utils), but it was fast as,
and the fastest machine was a P3 550.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman
Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron Lawrence
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2004
Suddenly, Evil Bastard sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> My question is - how fast does a box need to be, and how much memory does
> it need, to deliver good VNC performance, where the Xvnc server is
> 1280x1024 @ 24-bit colour?
>
> Would (say) an old P100 box with 32MB (or even 16MB) EDO RAM be too slow?


I'd say your main issue would be the video card, in those days that was
a pretty high-end spec. Plus you would probably need more RAM to get
decent speed moving so much data around (4MB just for the screen).



--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2004
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:57:22 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:

> I guess what I should ask is, given 1280x1024 res at 24-bit colour, over a
> 100mb/s ethernet lan, what's the minimum box spec to get good performance
> in a dedicated vnc terminal?


Don't know if this helps much, but I'm using a PIII 800 as a vnc client
and it works fine. ... I just had it lying around.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vnc/firewall configuration Headtheball Wireless Networking 5 07-02-2009 08:24 PM
VNC to two internal servers through one global ip Michael Shiah Cisco 0 03-17-2005 07:47 AM
Terminal services and VNC =?Utf-8?B?aXMgVGVybWluYWwgc2VydmVycyBjb21wYXRpYmxlIHdpdGggVk5DPw==?= Wireless Networking 2 02-03-2005 09:59 PM
Vnc router question. Jimi Computer Support 5 08-05-2004 11:27 AM
Cisco 837 to Cisco 837 VPN, ping OK, NetBios / VNC DROPPING! Suppa Lamah Cisco 8 12-19-2003 01:15 PM



Advertisments