Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Transgaming on Linux

Transgaming on Linux

steve

Today I installed WineX 3.2.1 on mydaughter's Xandros 2.0 Linux PC.

WineX is a DirectX-capable version of WINE (Windows emulator for unix/linux
systems) that can run - on Linux - many 3D-accelerated Windows games - like
SimCity 4, Warcraft III, HalfLife, Max Payne and many others. You can get
it from www.transgaming.com.

My 10yo daughter's PC is a PIII-866 with nVidia GF2-MX400 video and 512MB of
RAM.

I then installed the first Harry Potter PC game ("Harry Potter and the
Philosopher's Stone") through WineX....and she played it for a couple of
hours until she got bored.

Both the install and the running of the game went perfectly.

She was more than pleased and so was I.

One less reason to use Windows!

Lebowski

news:im%Sb.19961$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Today I installed WineX 3.2.1 on mydaughter's Xandros 2.0 Linux PC.
>
> WineX is a DirectX-capable version of WINE (Windows emulator for

unix/linux
> systems) that can run - on Linux - many 3D-accelerated Windows games -

like
> SimCity 4, Warcraft III, HalfLife, Max Payne and many others. You can get
> it from www.transgaming.com.
>
> My 10yo daughter's PC is a PIII-866 with nVidia GF2-MX400 video and 512MB

of
> RAM.
>
> I then installed the first Harry Potter PC game ("Harry Potter and the
> Philosopher's Stone") through WineX....and she played it for a couple of
> hours until she got bored.
>
> Both the install and the running of the game went perfectly.
>
> She was more than pleased and so was I.
>
> One less reason to use Windows!

....or you could just get XP

steve

Lebowski wrote:

> ...or you could just get XP

But then you can't play Linux games.....and there are some good ones.

Ask my kids.

There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go without
TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles.

Nicholas Sherlock

steve wrote:
> Lebowski wrote:
>
>> ...or you could just get XP

> But then you can't play Linux games.....and there are some good ones.
>
> Ask my kids.
>
> There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go
> without TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles.

These have both been ported to Windoze..

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Nicholas Sherlock

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> Lebowski wrote:
>>
>>> ...or you could just get XP

>> But then you can't play Linux games.....and there are some good ones.
>>
>> Ask my kids.
>>
>> There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go
>> without TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles.

> These have both been ported to Windoze..

OK...

If my daughter wants Windows, she can come up with the required $489 to buy
a full legal copy......as we have nothing to upgrade with.

http://www.monotapu.co.nz/software_games/os/42275.htm

Name: Windows® XP Home Edition
Brand: Microsoft®
Product Code: N09-00051
Product Number: 42275
Price (NZ$)*: $489.00

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:29:56 +1300, steve wrote:

> There is NO WAY my 10 year old would give up her linux PC and go without
> TuxRacer or Frozen Bubbles.

I was wondering where Bubbles had gotten to.

Please ask your kids to unfreeze him and send him home at once.

techie

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:18:34 -0600, steve wrote:

> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>

>> These have both been ported to Windoze..

> OK...
>
> If my daughter wants Windows, she can come up with the required $489 to
> buy a full legal copy......as we have nothing to upgrade with.

Now imagine having four computers running Linux or FreeBSD, and not a
copy of Windows in the house because you burned them or gave them to
your worst enemies. )

Is this how MS intends to win back linux converts? "Look kid, give up
your free OS and come back to Windows, and we'll charge you just $489
per system, for four systems".