Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Secure Banking

Secure Banking

RecyclerMan

I have had a problem pop up at the begning of the year. When I or my
wife try to do internet banking using WINXP it stalls and does nothing
much up to 1/2 to an houre to do a page now the strang thing is use
another computer on my network and no problem use Win2K on the same box
no probs use RH9 no probs so I know the problem is in WINXP it does not
matter witch browser I use It's just don't work I have Vrrused checked
the system Norton Still wating for the AVG Key in e-mail spyware removed
using spybot and addaware only had cokkie type's so far as I know my
machine is cleen I do updates every so often havent done service pack 1
yet, any comments I might not fix this problem as trying to move the
wife and kids over to linux

John

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:41:05 +1300, RecyclerMan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Is it some routing / dns issue?

>I have had a problem pop up at the begning of the year. When I or my
>wife try to do internet banking using WINXP it stalls and does nothing
>much up to 1/2 to an houre to do a page now the strang thing is use
>another computer on my network and no problem use Win2K on the same box
>no probs use RH9 no probs so I know the problem is in WINXP it does not
>matter witch browser I use It's just don't work I have Vrrused checked
>the system Norton Still wating for the AVG Key in e-mail spyware removed
>using spybot and addaware only had cokkie type's so far as I know my
>machine is cleen I do updates every so often havent done service pack 1
>yet, any comments I might not fix this problem as trying to move the
>wife and kids over to linux

Bok

RecyclerMan wrote:
> I have had a problem pop up at the begning of the year. When I or my
> wife try to do internet banking using WINXP it stalls and does nothing
> much up to 1/2 to an houre to do a page now the strang thing is use
> another computer on my network and no problem use Win2K on the same box
> no probs use RH9 no probs so I know the problem is in WINXP it does not
> matter witch browser I use It's just don't work I have Vrrused checked
> the system Norton Still wating for the AVG Key in e-mail spyware removed
> using spybot and addaware only had cokkie type's so far as I know my
> machine is cleen I do updates every so often havent done service pack 1
> yet, any comments I might not fix this problem as trying to move the
> wife and kids over to linux

It is possible you are encountering something similar to the infamous
'black hole' router issues described in M$ KB article 314825, for example:

Try the ping tests described in this article and the suggested
workaround if it is relevant.

A number of NZ banks had misconfigured firewalls that were dropping
essential ICMP packets causing problems as described in this article for
some users.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <bvh0cq$ro1t6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
RecyclerMan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have had a problem pop up at the begning of the year. When I or my
>wife try to do internet banking using WINXP it stalls and does nothing
>much up to 1/2 to an houre to do a page now the strang thing is use
>another computer on my network and no problem use Win2K on the same box
>no probs use RH9 no probs so I know the problem is in WINXP it does not
>matter witch browser I use It's just don't work I have Vrrused checked
>the system Norton Still wating for the AVG Key in e-mail spyware removed
>using spybot and addaware only had cokkie type's so far as I know my
>machine is cleen I do updates every so often havent done service pack 1
>yet, any comments I might not fix this problem as trying to move the
>wife and kids over to linux

I think the problem is your machine is infected with the Punctuation
Eater virus The symptom of this is that all punctuation marks disappear
in outgoing messages from your machine Plus of course you find you can't
do Internet banking (which relies heavily on punctuation marks) This is
a serious problem but you can work around it if you hit the punctuation
keys five or six times they do eventually register and if you keep this
up you can eventually drive the virus away Hope this helps

Gordon

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:33:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I think the problem is your machine is infected with the Punctuation
> Eater virus The symptom of this is that all punctuation marks disappear
> in outgoing messages from your machine Plus of course you find you can't
> do Internet banking (which relies heavily on punctuation marks) This is
> a serious problem but you can work around it if you hit the punctuation
> keys five or six times they do eventually register and if you keep this
> up you can eventually drive the virus away Hope this helps

Yes, indeed. This virus is spreading out in the wild and has been out of
control for many months now. It has mutated into the Lack of capitals
virus, which maybe also seen in the wild and elsewhere.

The typo virus also seems to be getting more powerful, as it is effecting
more postings. Already there is clear evidence that their has sucumbed to
it leaving the replacement of there in its place.

Banking?

Humphrey H. Hollingsmead

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:16:34 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> The typo virus also seems to be getting more powerful, as it is effecting
> more postings. Already there is clear evidence that their has sucumbed to
> it leaving the replacement of there in its place.

Already there is clear evidence that affecting has sucumbed to it
leaving the replacement of effecting in its place.

Gurble

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:09:43 +1300, Humphrey H. Hollingsmead
<^h@^h.^h> had this to say:

>On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:16:34 +1300, Gordon wrote:
>
>> The typo virus also seems to be getting more powerful, as it is effecting
>> more postings. Already there is clear evidence that their has sucumbed to
>> it leaving the replacement of there in its place.

>Already there is clear evidence that affecting has sucumbed to it
>leaving the replacement of effecting in its place.

Yes, it is quite a nasty one.

According to the latest writeup by Symantec, early symptoms include
the second 'c' in 'succumbed' mysteriously disappearing in posts made
by pots calling kettles black....

RecyclerMan

John wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:41:05 +1300, RecyclerMan
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Is it some routing / dns issue?

No see calrafication.

>>I have had a problem pop up at the begning of the year. When I or my
>>wife try to do internet banking using WINXP it stalls and does nothing
>>much up to 1/2 to an houre to do a page now the strang thing is use
>>another computer on my network and no problem use Win2K on the same box
>>no probs use RH9 no probs so I know the problem is in WINXP it does not
>>matter witch browser I use It's just don't work I have Vrrused checked
>>the system Norton Still wating for the AVG Key in e-mail spyware removed
>>using spybot and addaware only had cokkie type's so far as I know my
>>machine is cleen I do updates every so often havent done service pack 1
>>yet, any comments I might not fix this problem as trying to move the
>>wife and kids over to linux

The Server does nat and handles most things.

The cruddy machines arround the house rely on dhcp for all of there set
up and they work GOOD.

The Three OS's set up on the main machine have been set up manualy 2 out
of three work ok. as A test I will set up a modem on XP to see if it works.

RecyclerMan

Bok wrote:
> RecyclerMan wrote:
>
>> I have had a problem pop up at the begning of the year. When I or my
>> wife try to do internet banking using WINXP it stalls and does nothing
>> much up to 1/2 to an houre to do a page now the strang thing is use
>> another computer on my network and no problem use Win2K on the same
>> box no probs use RH9 no probs so I know the problem is in WINXP it
>> does not matter witch browser I use It's just don't work I have
>> Vrrused checked the system Norton Still wating for the AVG Key in
>> e-mail spyware removed using spybot and addaware only had cokkie
>> type's so far as I know my machine is cleen I do updates every so
>> often havent done service pack 1 yet, any comments I might not fix
>> this problem as trying to move the wife and kids over to linux

> It is possible you are encountering something similar to the infamous
> 'black hole' router issues described in M$ KB article 314825, for example:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314825
>
> Try the ping tests described in this article and the suggested
> workaround if it is relevant.
>
> A number of NZ banks had misconfigured firewalls that were dropping
> essential ICMP packets causing problems as described in this article for
> some users.

That is gonna be hard to provee from XP as my server blocks pings out
going and incoming. I can ping from the server it's self though. But I
now have enough idears to try.

Gavin Tunney

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have had a problem pop up at the begning of the year. When I or my
>wife try to do internet banking using WINXP it stalls and does nothing
>much up to 1/2 to an houre to do a page now the strang thing is use
>another computer on my network and no problem use Win2K on the same box
>no probs use RH9 no probs so I know the problem is in WINXP it does not
>matter witch browser I use It's just don't work I have Vrrused checked
>the system Norton Still wating for the AVG Key in e-mail spyware removed
>using spybot and addaware only had cokkie type's so far as I know my
>machine is cleen I do updates every so often havent done service pack 1
>yet, any comments I might not fix this problem as trying to move the
>wife and kids over to linux

If it's just the banking site you're having trouble with then it
suggests something to do with that site only. It could be a corrupted
cookie, usually that crashes IE with an illegal operation but XP may
treat it differently. Try deleting the cookie for the site.

It could also be a java or ActiveX problem. Try putting the banking
site in the restricted sites zone, with scripting etc disabled, and
see if it still hangs on you. If it doesn't hang then try setting
scripts, java etc to 'prompt' and step thru them until you get the
problem happening. Could also look at the source & see what kind of
script it's trying to run. Most activex controls & java applets get
downloaded to your PC so they run from the hdd on next visiting the
site. One of them might be corrupted, can usually delete/move the
downloaded apps & the browser will just download them again.

Cheers

Gavin