Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is there a way ?

Is there a way ?

Wyatt

When connected to the internet with no browser window open there is data
coming down from the net to my HD.I have ran AD aware,Spy Bot,Trojan remover
and cleaned my cache.It is not my NAV updateing.Is there any way to see
where this data is coming from ?
Thanks in advance

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Wyatt wrote:

> When connected to the internet with no browser window open there is data
> coming down from the net to my HD.I have ran AD aware,Spy Bot,Trojan remover
> and cleaned my cache.It is not my NAV updateing.Is there any way to see
> where this data is coming from ?
> Thanks in advance

you can open a command prompt and type netstat.

all this without the "" marks.

for 2k or XP click on start, click on run, type "cmd" in the space
provided. click on OK.
type "netstat"

for the win9x series, click on start, click on run, type "command" in
the space provided. click on ok.
type "netstat"

This will tell you what your computer is currently connected to.

do this and post the info it gives you.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]-

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:34:05 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Wyatt wrote:
>
>> When connected to the internet with no browser window open there is data
>> coming down from the net to my HD.I have ran AD aware,Spy Bot,Trojan remover
>> and cleaned my cache.It is not my NAV updateing.Is there any way to see
>> where this data is coming from ?
>> Thanks in advance

> you can open a command prompt and type netstat.
>
> all this without the "" marks.
>
> for 2k or XP click on start, click on run, type "cmd" in the space
> provided. click on OK.
> type "netstat"
>
> for the win9x series, click on start, click on run, type "command" in
> the space provided. click on ok.
> type "netstat"
>
> This will tell you what your computer is currently connected to.
>
> do this and post the info it gives you.

To find out what program is downloading the data at your end, download
fport -
http://www.foundstone.com/index.htm?...desc/fport.htm

GraB

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:24:09 +1300, "Wyatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When connected to the internet with no browser window open there is data
>coming down from the net to my HD.I have ran AD aware,Spy Bot,Trojan remover
>and cleaned my cache.It is not my NAV updateing.Is there any way to see
>where this data is coming from ?
>Thanks in advance

Would aI be right in guessing you don't have a good firewall?
ZoneAlarm will only let programmes comminicate with the net that you
give permission to.

Enkidu

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:24:09 +1300, "Wyatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When connected to the internet with no browser window open there is data
>coming down from the net to my HD.I have ran AD aware,Spy Bot,Trojan remover
>and cleaned my cache.It is not my NAV updateing.Is there any way to see
>where this data is coming from ?
>Thanks in advance

Got Messenger or ICQ??

Cheers,

Cliff
--

I think that Don Brash is a Labour mole.
That would explain everything.

Stuart

"Wyatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvc036$nig$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When connected to the internet with no browser window open there is data
> coming down from the net to my HD.

Windows enjoys checking for and downloading updates, if you've given it the
green light. See if you have a little Windows Update icon in your system
tray.

Stuart