Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Colour Coded Map -> Data?

Colour Coded Map -> Data?

Worm

Hi,

I'm wondering if I can convert a colour coded map I have sourced off the
'net, to data.

Are there programs out there, that given a selected area of an image, can
tell you the percentage of each colour?

I know it might sound like a far-off bet...but I can't find any sources of
*data*, just a really messy (and difficult to read onscreen, let alone
print!) map.

The map is at http://www.environment.govt.nz/indic.../ag/otago.html
if anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to attempt

Any help much appreciated..!

Worm

Joseph Dew

Have a look at the ImageJ program here:

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/

It is written in Java so can run on pretty much whatever platform you use.

Let me know if you want some help on figuring out how to use it.

Joseph

Worm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if I can convert a colour coded map I have sourced off the
> 'net, to data.
>
> Are there programs out there, that given a selected area of an image, can
> tell you the percentage of each colour?
>
> I know it might sound like a far-off bet...but I can't find any sources of
> *data*, just a really messy (and difficult to read onscreen, let alone
> print!) map.
>
> The map is at http://www.environment.govt.nz/indic.../ag/otago.html
> if anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to attempt
>
> Any help much appreciated..!
>
> Worm

Graham

Worm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if I can convert a colour coded map I have sourced off the
> 'net, to data.
>
> Are there programs out there, that given a selected area of an image, can
> tell you the percentage of each colour?
>
> I know it might sound like a far-off bet...but I can't find any sources of
> *data*, just a really messy (and difficult to read onscreen, let alone
> print!) map.
>
> The map is at http://www.environment.govt.nz/indic.../ag/otago.html
> if anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to attempt
>
> Any help much appreciated..!
>
> Worm

This should get you what you want:

Try converting to PPM format and then run ppmhist on it, if you are able.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=fp...eb-t&p=ppmhist

Graham

> > The map is at http://www.environment.govt.nz/indic.../ag/otago.html
> > if anyone wants a look at what I'm trying to attempt

Btw, the image you linked to is a JPG which means it's got far more
colours than you're really interested in (in part due to being lossy). You
might want to first convert it to a relatively few colours first (DON'T
use dithering though) and then process that result.

Kinda technical and you might not be able to manage it. If not, get some
know-it-all to do it for you.