Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB HDD Drive How hot?

USB HDD Drive How hot?

Seagull

I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It is
largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP" in Win98
Device manager.

It is in a silver aluminium, light gauge, close fitting, case which gets
rather hot after 15 minutes running.
I have chickened out letting it run any longer unless I have a fan blowing
on it. There is no internal fan or cooling set-up.

Anyone got any experience with a similar unit?

Oh! And on a related question:
I have found Dos drivers (so I can image my C drive) for the above which
seem to work but unlike in windows there is no provision /command for
shutting the unit down "safely" prior to powering it down.
Again any ideas comments?

TIA

--
Seagull ~'~

SteveM

"Seagull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsRlRb.19117$(E-Mail Removed):

> I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
> is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP" in
> Win98 Device manager.
>
> It is in a silver aluminium, light gauge, close fitting, case which
> gets rather hot after 15 minutes running.
> I have chickened out letting it run any longer unless I have a fan
> blowing on it. There is no internal fan or cooling set-up.
>
> Anyone got any experience with a similar unit?
>
> Oh! And on a related question:
> I have found Dos drivers (so I can image my C drive) for the above
> which seem to work but unlike in windows there is no provision
> /command for shutting the unit down "safely" prior to powering it
> down. Again any ideas comments?
>
> TIA

Full size 3.5 inch drive or laptop drive????

Either way you should be OK

SteveM

Seagull

"SteveM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns947DDBE2CC96Dsdmccremovemeparadis@202.20.9 3.13...
> "Seagull" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> newsRlRb.19117$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
> > is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP" in
> > Win98 Device manager.
> >
> > It is in a silver aluminium, light gauge, close fitting, case which
> > gets rather hot after 15 minutes running.
> > I have chickened out letting it run any longer unless I have a fan
> > blowing on it. There is no internal fan or cooling set-up.
> >
> > Anyone got any experience with a similar unit?
> >
> > Oh! And on a related question:
> > I have found Dos drivers (so I can image my C drive) for the above
> > which seem to work but unlike in windows there is no provision
> > /command for shutting the unit down "safely" prior to powering it
> > down. Again any ideas comments?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Full size 3.5 inch drive or laptop drive????
>
> Either way you should be OK
>
> SteveM

The hot one is a full size 3.5" although I also have a "pocket" laptop drive
enclosure which runs much cooler.

--
Seagull ~'~

Nicholas Sherlock

Seagull wrote:
> I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
> is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP"
> in Win98 Device manager.

What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/ report?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Seagull

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv6ob7$ag$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seagull wrote:
> > I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
> > is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP"
> > in Win98 Device manager.

> What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

report?
Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

"DTemp" reports 40 Degrees, but that is my regular C: drive.
Is there any way of getting it to measure the USB HDD.?
--
Seagull ~'~

Nicholas Sherlock

Seagull wrote:
> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bv6ob7$ag$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Seagull wrote:
>>> I recently bought a 120 Gig drive in an external USB enclosure. It
>>> is largely unbranded but there is a mention of "Cypress" and "TPP"
>>> in Win98 Device manager.

>> What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

> report?
> Cheers,
>> Nicholas Sherlock

> "DTemp" reports 40 Degrees, but that is my regular C: drive.
> Is there any way of getting it to measure the USB HDD.?

Right click on the tray icon, click "Show smart attributes" and select your
drive. One of the variables should be "Temperature". There are other neat
measures in there too like "Power on hours".

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

~misfit~

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Seagull wrote:
>> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bv6ob7$ag$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> What temperature does "DTemp" http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

>> report?
>> Cheers,
>>> Nicholas Sherlock

>> "DTemp" reports 40 Degrees, but that is my regular C: drive.
>> Is there any way of getting it to measure the USB HDD.?

> Right click on the tray icon, click "Show smart attributes" and
> select your drive. One of the variables should be "Temperature".
> There are other neat measures in there too like "Power on hours".

I have DTemp and if I install another IDE HDD with a temp sensor it
automatically puts a seperate temp readout in my tray at boot up. Are you
sure it reads USB drives?
--
~misfit~