Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > simple ping utility needed

simple ping utility needed

dOTdASH

I need a simple utility which will constantly ping a single IP address every
'x' seconds ad-infinitum. I don't need fancy graphs of return times etc etc,
just the constant ping ping ping ping. Can anybody point me to some freeware
which fits the bill and runs on WinXP ? I've checked tucows.com (which is no
longer the great site it used to be), davecentral.com (now freshmeat),
hotfiles.com (average) and shareware.com and haven't found anything as
simple as I need. TIA

dOTdASH

Enkidu

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:31:03 +1300, "dOTdASH"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need a simple utility which will constantly ping a single IP address every
>'x' seconds ad-infinitum. I don't need fancy graphs of return times etc etc,
>just the constant ping ping ping ping. Can anybody point me to some freeware
>which fits the bill and runs on WinXP ? I've checked tucows.com (which is no
>longer the great site it used to be), davecentral.com (now freshmeat),
>hotfiles.com (average) and shareware.com and haven't found anything as
>simple as I need. TIA

erm, XP comes with this great little utility called "ping". Use "ping
-t <target> to make it ping forever.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Malcolm

dOTdASH wrote:
> I need a simple utility which will constantly ping a single IP address every
> 'x' seconds ad-infinitum. I don't need fancy graphs of return times etc etc,
> just the constant ping ping ping ping. Can anybody point me to some freeware
> which fits the bill and runs on WinXP ? I've checked tucows.com (which is no
> longer the great site it used to be), davecentral.com (now freshmeat),
> hotfiles.com (average) and shareware.com and haven't found anything as
> simple as I need. TIA
>
> dOTdASH

Hi
- Start the scheduler service
- Open a command window
- create a batch file using the `at` command eg;

at 01:00 ping 192.168.0.1
at 02:00 ping 192.168.0.1
etc...

- Save the batch file and then add a new schedule via the GUI and
program it to run your batch file once per day, this will then load your
at commands to run at your scheduled times.

You can check that your schedule has loaded via a command window and
typing at <enter> at the prompt of at /? for help.

Cheers
Malcolm

Malcolm

Malcolm wrote:
> dOTdASH wrote:
>
>> I need a simple utility which will constantly ping a single IP address
>> every
>> 'x' seconds ad-infinitum. I don't need fancy graphs of return times
>> etc etc,
>> just the constant ping ping ping ping. Can anybody point me to some
>> freeware
>> which fits the bill and runs on WinXP ? I've checked tucows.com (which
>> is no
>> longer the great site it used to be), davecentral.com (now freshmeat),
>> hotfiles.com (average) and shareware.com and haven't found anything as
>> simple as I need. TIA
>>
>> dOTdASH
>>

> Hi
> - Start the scheduler service
> - Open a command window
> - create a batch file using the `at` command eg;
>
> at 01:00 ping 192.168.0.1
> at 02:00 ping 192.168.0.1
> etc...
>
> - Save the batch file and then add a new schedule via the GUI and
> program it to run your batch file once per day, this will then load your
> at commands to run at your scheduled times.
>
> You can check that your schedule has loaded via a command window and
> typing at <enter> at the prompt of at /? for help.
>
> Cheers
> Malcolm

oops forgot to at the -n 1 so it only pings once

at 01:00 ping -n 1 192.168.0.1

dOTdASH

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:but7b5$h3j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Malcolm wrote:
> > dOTdASH wrote:
> >
> >> I need a simple utility which will constantly ping a single IP address
> >> every
> >> 'x' seconds ad-infinitum. I don't need fancy graphs of return times
> >> etc etc,
> >> just the constant ping ping ping ping. Can anybody point me to some
> >> freeware
> >> which fits the bill and runs on WinXP ? I've checked tucows.com (which
> >> is no
> >> longer the great site it used to be), davecentral.com (now freshmeat),
> >> hotfiles.com (average) and shareware.com and haven't found anything as
> >> simple as I need. TIA
> >>
> >> dOTdASH
> >>

> > Hi
> > - Start the scheduler service
> > - Open a command window
> > - create a batch file using the `at` command eg;
> >
> > at 01:00 ping 192.168.0.1
> > at 02:00 ping 192.168.0.1
> > etc...
> >
> > - Save the batch file and then add a new schedule via the GUI and
> > program it to run your batch file once per day, this will then load your
> > at commands to run at your scheduled times.
> >
> > You can check that your schedule has loaded via a command window and
> > typing at <enter> at the prompt of at /? for help.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Malcolm
> >

> oops forgot to at the -n 1 so it only pings once
>
> at 01:00 ping -n 1 192.168.0.1

perfect ! thanks for your help (and thanks to Enkidu too)

Ray Greene

Fping from http://www.kwakkelflap.com is good.

Ray Greene.

dOTdASH

"dOTdASH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9joQb.21923$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need a simple utility which will constantly ping a single IP address

every
> 'x' seconds ad-infinitum. I don't need fancy graphs of return times etc

etc,
> just the constant ping ping ping ping. Can anybody point me to some

freeware
> which fits the bill and runs on WinXP ? I've checked tucows.com (which is

no
> longer the great site it used to be), davecentral.com (now freshmeat),
> hotfiles.com (average) and shareware.com and haven't found anything as
> simple as I need. TIA
>
> dOTdASH

After further analysis I decided I _did_ need fancy graphs etc so I'm back
trawling the shareware sites So far I can recommend NeoTrace as being a
cool piece of software

Edmond Lo

I used one before call IP Ultra Monitor.

http://filedudes.siol.net/win95/pingapp/ipmon.html

Not to bad.

"dOTdASH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1TAQb.22494$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "dOTdASH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9joQb.21923$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I need a simple utility which will constantly ping a single IP address

> every
> > 'x' seconds ad-infinitum. I don't need fancy graphs of return times etc

> etc,
> > just the constant ping ping ping ping. Can anybody point me to some

> freeware
> > which fits the bill and runs on WinXP ? I've checked tucows.com (which

is
> no
> > longer the great site it used to be), davecentral.com (now freshmeat),
> > hotfiles.com (average) and shareware.com and haven't found anything as
> > simple as I need. TIA
> >
> > dOTdASH
> >

> After further analysis I decided I _did_ need fancy graphs etc so I'm back
> trawling the shareware sites So far I can recommend NeoTrace as being

> cool piece of software

Dave Taylor

"dOTdASH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1TAQb.22494$(E-Mail Removed):

> After further analysis I decided I _did_ need fancy graphs etc so I'm
> back trawling the shareware sites So far I can recommend NeoTrace
> as being a cool piece of software

http://www.serverscheck.com/

They have a free version, should do what you want.
Ciao,Dave

Ping Utility beloved Computer Security 1 06-16-2010 12:54 PM
Looking for traffic generating utility (like ping) AirAndFingers@gmail.com Python 0 11-14-2008 07:53 PM
Is there Java Base Ping Utility avaliable Rahul Java 1 08-04-2005 07:22 AM
'Wargames' Ping Utility Fred Atkinson Cisco 6 02-21-2005 05:33 PM
Cisco-like Ping utility for Unix Dan Mahoney Cisco 2 12-27-2003 04:33 AM

Advertisments