Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WTB: 2nd hand AthlonMP CPUs/motherboards

WTB: 2nd hand AthlonMP CPUs/motherboards

Paul Gunson

this is a long shot - anyone looking to sell 2nd hand Athlon MPs (pref
2800+, but will consider other CPUs), and/or an Athlon MPX motherboard
please contact me.

reply to the newsgroup first, cheers

paul
(auckland)

Phillip

I have Asus A7M266-D with dual AMD XP2100+ processors. These have been
running since New as MP2100+ and are detected by Windows XP Pro as such. Was
professionally setup prior to my purchase.

I'm not sure if I will sell but am happy for you to contact and discuss
making an offer

ps MY ISP IS ezysurf. IT IS co YOU KNOW WERE. Hopefully vague enough to
avoid SPAM

Phillip Scandle

"Paul Gunson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:busop5$89o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> this is a long shot - anyone looking to sell 2nd hand Athlon MPs (pref
> 2800+, but will consider other CPUs), and/or an Athlon MPX motherboard
> please contact me.
>
> reply to the newsgroup first, cheers
>
> paul
> (auckland)

Paul Gunson

Phillip wrote:
> I have Asus A7M266-D with dual AMD XP2100+ processors. These have been
> running since New as MP2100+ and are detected by Windows XP Pro as such. Was
> professionally setup prior to my purchase.
>
> I'm not sure if I will sell but am happy for you to contact and discuss
> making an offer
>
> ps MY ISP IS ezysurf. IT IS co YOU KNOW WERE. Hopefully vague enough to
> avoid SPAM

i tried e-mailing u with 'phillip' as the first part of the e-mail but
it was bounced no worries i just realised i will need to buy an OS
when i put together the machine, so might as well buy all components
from ascent or something and get XP-OEM.

otherwise i might have been interested in the motherboard... but i am
pretty set on dual 2800+ for 3D rendering.

regards
-paul

ps. what r u using your dual setup for?

Phillip

> ps. what r u using your dual setup for?

Nothing much really. I'm only just setting it up with a Raid card & will use
it for video compression & Digital Photography. I want to make large
panoramic photos & experiment with editing them for artistic results.

I'm just starting out doing work as a programmer (which doesn't need that
much grunt) and it will allow me to test my software on a Dual platform to
test performance.

> i tried e-mailing u with 'phillip' as the first part of the e-mail but
> it was bounced

BTW my user name is "ps" I should have prefixed it more clearly

> i am pretty set on dual 2800+ for 3D rendering.

I went through a short phase of looking at 3D but didn't have the grunt.
Your mentioning might get me exploring what's out there again.

Looking at Ascent a number of MP boards only support 1.53 / 1.900 GHz+ ? The
Tyan S2460 on special I believe only (officially) supports upto 1.9 GHz
(check CPU support on Tyan's website).

Also check out the speed of the 64bit PCI slots. I bought a cheap Raid
ATA100 card but it & my board support 66mhz PCI so it will run faster

Have a look at reviews for what supports the 2800+ best. I'm envious. As Tim
Taylor would say " more power ... "

Cheers

Phillip

"Paul Gunson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buv312$vcr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phillip wrote:
> > I have Asus A7M266-D with dual AMD XP2100+ processors. These have been
> > running since New as MP2100+ and are detected by Windows XP Pro as such.

Was
> > professionally setup prior to my purchase.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I will sell but am happy for you to contact and discuss
> > making an offer
> >
> > ps MY ISP IS ezysurf. IT IS co YOU KNOW WERE. Hopefully vague enough to
> > avoid SPAM

no worries i just realised i will need to buy an OS
> when i put together the machine, so might as well buy all components
> from ascent or something and get XP-OEM.
>
> otherwise i might have been interested in the motherboard... but i am
> pretty set on dual 2800+ for 3D rendering.
>
> regards
> -paul

Paul Gunson

Phillip wrote:

> Looking at Ascent a number of MP boards only support 1.53 / 1.900

GHz+ ? The
> Tyan S2460 on special I believe only (officially) supports upto 1.9 GHz
> (check CPU support on Tyan's website).

the MSI or Gigabyte boards should go all the way up, yeah the S2460 is
heinously outdated, i think latest (and last) Tyan dual-MP board was the
Thunder S2469.

> Also check out the speed of the 64bit PCI slots. I bought a cheap Raid
> ATA100 card but it & my board support 66mhz PCI so it will run faster

yeah i definitely want something with 64bit PCI-X slots (i have a GbE
PCI-X network card for my future renderfarm but dual Opteron or Xeon
are way expensive, and dual-Xeon is still slower than dual
Athlon-MPs.... one thing i noticed is that all MPX boards have PCI-X
slots which go up to 66MHz, unlike Opteron and some Xeon boards which go
up to 133MHz...? not sure how much of a difference that makes...