Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows XP, 98 and 95 Networking.

Windows XP, 98 and 95 Networking.

Malcolm

The answer to the following question may well have been answered
before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.

I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
Network.

I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
togther.

My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
isn't available on my home Network.

Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
connecting with my Win98 PC.

My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.

Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.

Thanking you in advance.

Malcolm

harry

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

> The answer to the following question may well have been answered
> before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
>
> I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
> other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
> Network.
>
> I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
> what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
> can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
> access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
> not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
> even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
> sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
> togther.
>
> My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
> is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
> is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
> isn't available on my home Network.
>
> Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
> changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
> Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
> connecting with my Win98 PC.
>
> My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
>
> Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> Malcolm

Make sure they all have the same workgroup name and you have client for
windows networks running on both 9x boxes and file sharing ticked and
something shared, and you are logging in with the same username and
password on all three boxes Then run the network wizard on the XP box and
tell it you are connecting to a home network without a domain.

’_£₯ΊΡ

Also, try turn the firewall off on the XP machine.
Doesn't it install by default ?

Gordon

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

> My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
> is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
> is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
> isn't available on my home Network.

My money is here. Windows 9x is very hopeless at networking in my
experience. Espically peer to peer.

collector@

Malcolm wrote:

> The answer to the following question may well have been answered
> before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
>
> I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
> other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
> Network.
>
> I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
> what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
> can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
> access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
> not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
> even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
> sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
> togther.
>
> My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
> is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
> is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
> isn't available on my home Network.
>
> Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
> changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
> Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
> connecting with my Win98 PC.
>
> My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
>
> Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> Malcolm

95/98/XP There was a change in default workgroupm name in there
somewhere. Check they all have the same Workgroup name either "workgroup
or MSHOME".
Enable the guest account on XP to allow it to be attached by the other
machines > Right Click My Computer > Manage > Users and follow your nose.
Assuming you are using TCP/IP make sure the 95 Machine actually has this
installed and correctly set up for the netcard.

’_£₯ΊΡ

"Malcolm" wrote. . .
> The answer to the following question may well have been answered
> before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
>
> I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
> other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
> Network.
>
> I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
> what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
> can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
> access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
> not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
> even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
> sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
> togther.
>
> My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
> is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
> is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
> isn't available on my home Network.
>
> Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
> changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
> Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
> connecting with my Win98 PC.
>
> My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
>
> Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> Malcolm

Just wondering about the Network Setup Wizard on XP.
When it's finished setting up, it creates a Setup Wizard for a floppy.
Would 98 and 95 still be able to run that disk ?

RecyclerMan

Gordon wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 +0000, Malcolm wrote:
>

>>My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
>>is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
>>is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
>>isn't available on my home Network.

> My money is here. Windows 9x is very hopeless at networking in my
> experience. Espically peer to peer.

I have had a fresh install of WinXP pro working with win 95b only to do
some updates on XP for it to stop networking, the plot thickens when
6monts down the track I power up the Win95b machine and all works Well.

Gavin Tunney

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Malcolm) wrote:

>The answer to the following question may well have been answered
>before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
>
>I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
>other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
>Network.
>
>I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
>what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
>can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
>access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
>not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
>even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
>sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
>togther.
>
>My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
>is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
>is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
>isn't available on my home Network.
>
>Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
>changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
>Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
>connecting with my Win98 PC.
>
>My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
>
>Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
>
>Thanking you in advance.
>
>Malcolm

This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes itself
over time, quite strange.

It's not just an issue of Win 9x and XP either, I've had problems
getting older network hardware talking to XP.... print servers & the
likes that support Netbios & UNC paths.

If you've done everything right, and tried the usual fixes such as
disabling the firewall & checking that netbios over TCP/IP is enabled,
the quick & dirty way to get around it is to install Netbeui on all
the machines. A web search on 'install netbeui windows xp' will find
plenty of explanations on how to do that.

Cheers

Gavin

Gordon

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:49:29 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:

> This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
> as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
> can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
> fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
> then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
> gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
> the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes itself
> over time, quite strange.

BINGO! I am so glad that someone else has this problem. Hang around long
enough and it fixes itself.

Dany P. Wu

Gordon wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:49:29 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:
>
>> This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
>> as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
>> can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
>> fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
>> then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
>> gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
>> the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes
>> itself over time, quite strange.

> BINGO! I am so glad that someone else has this problem. Hang around
> long enough and it fixes itself.

Aye! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Not overly comforting to know
that it's so widespread yet no certain solution has been presented. Just
discovered that at my current workplace they also have this problem. Their
technician seem to think it may be something to do with the switches caching
MAC addressess and sometimes getting confused. Sounds bloody weird and nutty
to me. It doesn't seem to be a stable solution either.

It doesn't generally "fix itself over time" though. More a matter of
sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. A lot of the time I can click
"repair" on the network connection and things work again. This is okay most
of the time but craps out big time when the networking falls over while a
program tries to access network drives.

Very bizarre..................

D.