Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > tunnels and crypto maps

tunnels and crypto maps

Dan Lanciani

The extremely helpful article:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/dmvpn.html

mentions that the long-standing anomaly that required crypto
maps to be applied to tunnel interfaces in addition to the
interfaces through which the encapsulated traffic flows has
been eliminated as of 12.2(13)T. This raises the question:
if you now apply a crypto map to a tunnel interface does it
do what you would expect absent the historical anomaly, i.e.,
encrypt traffic inside the tunnel? In other words, does the
crypto map command applied to a tunnel interface now have the
same semantics as on all other interface?

I suspect the answer to my question is ``no'' since otherwise
most of the complexity of the rest of the DMVPN implementation
would be unnecessary: you could simply use a crypto map with
a wildcard ACL on the tunnel interfaces and not have to worry
about the dynamic external addresses. But I can dream...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com