Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > app to detect REALTIME wattage drawn off PSU?

app to detect REALTIME wattage drawn off PSU?

cowboyz

Possible? Plausable? Does one exist?

I put a DVDR in my XP2100 and runnign on a 300W power supply things started
to get a bit hairy. BSOD. DVD not detecting disc. Faulure to detect hard
drive on boot. Things like this. I put it down to lack of power so
replaced my 300W with a 400W and all is good.

So. Even though problem is fixed I was wondering if there was an app
someone knew of to tell me the realtime draw off the PSU.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ tells me I need a 379W power
supply. but this is theory.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

cowboyz wrote:
> Possible? Plausable? Does one exist?

you would have to have some sort of reporting being done by the PSU, and
that AFAIK, doesnt happen at this stage... it may be possible, but it
isn't done at the moment.

> http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ tells me I need a 379W power
> supply. but this is theory.

440W needed here(well 436W), but it runs just fine on a 431W Enermax one...

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

cowboyz

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>> Possible? Plausable? Does one exist?

> you would have to have some sort of reporting being done by the PSU,
> and that AFAIK, doesnt happen at this stage... it may be possible,
> but it isn't done at the moment.
>
>> http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ tells me I need a 379W
>> power supply. but this is theory.

> 440W needed here(well 436W), but it runs just fine on a 431W Enermax
> one...

give me one of your CPUs and then you will be under 431W.

Theory is all good but at the end of the day I was running everything bar
the DVDR on 300W and considering the DVDr is surposed to only use 16W
(manual) or 25W(that site) then that still put me well over yet it run fine.
Just that little extra broke the camels back.

E.

cowboyz wrote:

> Possible? Plausable? Does one exist?
>
> I put a DVDR in my XP2100 and runnign on a 300W power supply things started
> to get a bit hairy. BSOD. DVD not detecting disc. Faulure to detect hard
> drive on boot. Things like this. I put it down to lack of power so
> replaced my 300W with a 400W and all is good.
>
> So. Even though problem is fixed I was wondering if there was an app
> someone knew of to tell me the realtime draw off the PSU.
>

> http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ tells me I need a 379W power
> supply. but this is theory.

Comes as standard with the APC UPS's.
E.

colinco

In article <400f6f65$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > So. Even though problem is fixed I was wondering if there was an app
> > someone knew of to tell me the realtime draw off the PSU.
> >

> > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ tells me I need a 379W power
> > supply. but this is theory.

> Comes as standard with the APC UPS's.
> E.

Total watts still doesn't tell you whether 12V or 5V rail is overloaded.

Brian Withers

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:17:29 +1300, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <400f6f65$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > So. Even though problem is fixed I was wondering if there was an app
>> > someone knew of to tell me the realtime draw off the PSU.
>> >

>> > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ tells me I need a 379W power
>> > supply. but this is theory.

>> Comes as standard with the APC UPS's.
>> E.
>>

>Total watts still doesn't tell you whether 12V or 5V rail is overloaded.

Some brand have lot more Amps on the 12v line..

Enermax being one of them..