Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > woosh

woosh

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:48:47 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Are they allowed to legally advertise a 256kb/s connection as "broadband"?

AFAIK there is no legal definition of broadband in NZ.

Someone could define 64kb/s as broadband and probably get away with it.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:48:42 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

>> It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
>> But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

> You must have some _really_ fast 56k modems where you live. Over here
> they're limited to a maximum of 56000 bits per second, which is why the
> Woosh 250kbit/s connections are proving so popular. If you want to pay
> for a business plan Woosh also offer 350kbit/s or 500kbit/s speeds.

350kb/s to the access point is of no use whatsoever if the link is
throttled beyond that point to an average throughput of 56kb/s or slower.

This is a common and old ISP trick.

EMB

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:48:42 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
>
> >> It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
> >> But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

> > You must have some _really_ fast 56k modems where you live. Over here
> > they're limited to a maximum of 56000 bits per second, which is why the
> > Woosh 250kbit/s connections are proving so popular. If you want to pay
> > for a business plan Woosh also offer 350kbit/s or 500kbit/s speeds.

> 350kb/s to the access point is of no use whatsoever if the link is
> throttled beyond that point to an average throughput of 56kb/s or slower.
>
> This is a common and old ISP trick.

Woosh seems to be running at or close to advertised speed from what I've
seen of it. For downloading it benchmarks about 1.8x my jetstream starter.

EMB

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Allistar wrote:
>>Personally, I think I read somewhere that 384kb/s(6 x 64kb) is
>>broadband, but I'm quite happy with 256kb/s wireless.

> I's be happy with it too. The problem I have with NZ internet connections is
> that they have reidiculously low data caps, unless you want to download at
> dial-up speeds. I have a 10Gb cap on JetStart which is so easy to consume
> it's not funny.

Im on 256k wireless(802.11b) uncapped... infact, at present, Im
completly uncapped speed wise too(very handy but by no means necessary).

There will be no caps, it is affordable to the guy running it(a mate) to
run at breakeven point and fund it from other projects.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Gordon

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:44:44 +1100, Jay wrote:

> JedMeister wrote:
>
>> Woosh are doing tons of marketing just now. Anyone have anything good to
>> say about Woosh broadband internet? Would it be reliable enough to use as
>> a 24x7 business connection?

> It isn't broadband because it is *slower* than a 56k dialup modem!
> But there is nothing to stop a NZ company from telling lies.

Good live in your world.

Trouble is from the reports I have read, eg PC WORLD Dec03/Jan04 issuse
Woosh is clsoe to 256K.

Gordon

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:29:12 +1300, harry wrote:

> Other definitions welcome, I'd like to see answers giving good reasons why
> some arbitrary rate is or isn't "broadband".

It is how people define it. What is fast as an example?

Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
Is Woosh the answer? Rats NZ Computing 9 09-17-2003 07:15 PM
The REAL question about 'woosh' Evil Bastard NZ Computing 21 09-17-2003 12:23 PM
Woosh pricing! Carl Elphick NZ Computing 29 09-17-2003 07:43 AM
No word about woosh yet? tony11 NZ Computing 6 09-15-2003 07:22 AM

Advertisments